Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Latest word from the Park (Dry Tortugas and Everglades

Here's what the Park sent us today as an update on their operations. You'll note that the Tortugas is open - but not the land portions of Everglades National Park... I'll make a point of posting these each week until the Park re-opens...

Dry Tortugas National Park – OPENED ON SEPTEMBER 25

Dry Tortugas National Park is open to recreation and camping in all areas except the following which have been temporarily closed:
Small sections of the moat wall walk around Fort Jefferson on Garden Key;
The area immediately around the wrecked sailboat on the northeast shore of Bush Key;
The dock at Loggerhead Key is closed to boat use and foot traffic due to missing deck boards;
The area immediately around the previously collapsed Boathouse; and
The park gift shop.
A Notice to Mariners is in effect for the navigation channels within the park due to missing or damaged aids to navigation. Proceed with caution.
Users of mooring buoys within the park assume all risk.
Ferry operations from Key West will resume September 28.

Everglades National Park – PARTIALLY CLOSED

Terrestrial areas of the park remain closed. Park waters are open, including use by commercial permit holders of Everglades National Park.
Boaters are advised that the Flamingo Marina is closed and no services are available. Internet and cell services have been restored.
Areas east of the L-67 Canal and south to Buzzards Roost/Grossman's Ridge (commonly known as East Everglades) have opened for private airboating. Boaters should be advised that the only public launch site available is located east of Coopertown. The park cannot be accessed via SW 168th Street until power lines and other hazards have been addressed.
Multiple hazards exist throughout park waters.
Twenty-six housing units in the Flamingo Bay Area were mucked out yesterday. Power washing operations are now working in the Flamingo Bay Visitor Center.
Dump trucks are working in the Flamingo Bay area to remove mud, salt, and debris.
Sawyer crews and an Arborist Incident Response team are working on damaged and downed trees near the Flamingo Bay Visitor Center.
Sawyer crews are clearing roads in the Long Pine Key area and continuing to clear the main park road south to Flamingo Bay.
A plan is being developed to address derelict vessels.
Tight Lines
Bob LeMay
(954) 435-5666

Replies

• pk911pk911 Posts: 278 Deckhand
    thanks for the update
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 995 Officer
    May I add that the mosquitoes survived the storm
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,625 Captain
    I expect they'll be just awful until that first cold week at the very end of October.... They sure seem bound and determined to protect the 'Glades from humans.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Fishin' MusicianFishin' Musician Posts: 86 Deckhand
    Thanks for the updates.
    Dave
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,625 Captain
    I finally made a scouting trip down to Choko today....

I was there today (Thursday) for my first scouting trip (look for the report when it's written - it's a pretty good one..).

Now for places to stay... nothing up yet in Everglades City (but everyone's hard at work to get back up and running...). Glades Haven may not open for a year or more (if ever....) -that was the word from a guy prepping to try to move his cabin back where it belongs and get it back up on blocks... My fishing report will have photos....

The Island Cafe is being put back together - and they're aiming for next week to re-open... Next door the Everglades Motel isn't open yet either (and I didn't take the time to knock on their door and ask...). Down at Outdoor Resorts - the boat ramp is open and in good condition. I was the second one there this morning before the sun came up... I was back at the ramp before noon and found eight trailers in the lot - so folks are getting back on the water.... The fish cutting table there is just gone (and so is every second or third dock on the south side of Chokoloskee island..). I didn't see any evidence of Outdoor Resorts employees - wherever I looked..... Everywhere you look there are piles of debris out in front (or in back of every property that I could see in Everglades City...). Yes, the Marathon gas station at US 41 and State Road 29 is open for business.... The Circle K in Everglades City is still boarded up and no sign anyone is trying to get it back up and running... By the way, it sure was nice to pull into EC and see that they've gotten their electric back (so has Choko) so everyone is off to the races - re-building....

Your best bet for accommodations is still Port of the Islands (about 8 miles west of the road to Everglades City (S.R. 29) on US 41... Their restaurant opened earlier this week, I'm told the hotel side is up now as well. They do have a nice ramp etc - but there's a three mile idle only zone leaving their marina...
    Capt Bob LeMay
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Reel4ReelReel4Reel Posts: 439 Deckhand
    Thanks, Capt. :thumbsup
  • GotTarponGotTarpon Posts: 167 Deckhand
  • CoolisimoCoolisimo Posts: 190 Deckhand
    Great news!
    Carpe Diem!