Disconnected by Disaster—Photos From a Battered Puerto Rico

dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 6,472 Admiral
The pictures are intense

Five days after Hurricane Maria made landfall in Puerto Rico, its devastating impact is becoming clearer. Most of the U.S. territory currently has no electricity or running water,

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2017/09/disconnected-by-disasterphotos-from-a-battered-puerto-rico/540975/

Replies

• DemereDemere Posts: 1,464 Officer
    May the Lord bless those people.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    What a mess. Hopefully help is on the way. Saw where a couple c-17's left from here going there.
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,781 Admin
    SIL has family there. Luckily no one injured.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    We took the RCCL Adventure Of The Seas out of SJ last week, but we had to return to Port Everglades. The PRs stayed on board and are being taken back tomorrow along with a ship load of humanitarian aid. I believe they had already cancelled Monarch of The Seas sailing after Irma and were using that for aid across the Caribbean and continue to do so.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • SouthFloridaAnglerSouthFloridaAngler Posts: 3,164 Captain
    Demere wrote: »
    May the Lord bless those people.

A little late for that.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,751 Admiral
    I hope your cruise aboard one of the Ships of Disease was not inconvenienced, Menzies.

The real tragedy would be cancelling cruises, you know.

Hey, you could load up the Sonas with some relief supplies, no?
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Posts: 1,997 Captain
    A little late for that.

True, and now we get to pay for them yet again... I have friends there and feel sorry for everyone there.

If the Humanitarian crisis is bad enough, you can't call them out... What a way for them to roll !

Do nothing, protect nothing, prepare for nothing because the OLE USA will be there... Mismanaged Island and we get to clean it up...

Everybody here knows someone from PR... They are here because it sucks over there. They have used us long enough... I actually agree with Trump, to bad he didn't tweet it out 6 years ago during the Credit default in which, PR just said FU to America with a debt restructuring program that they can never pay. Add to it this disaster and they are all headed here...
    When are we going to do something right where the rich people can't corrupt the system, make money and walk away.. Everyone knew the island was falling to pieces and we need a hurricane to put it over the top.

Sad, Sad, Sad....
  • DemereDemere Posts: 1,464 Officer
    A little late for that.
    Never too late to pray for help for those in desperate need. I also send money. If religion isn't your thing just some good thoughts and maybe send them something to help (anything).
  • gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    Heatwave wrote: »
    True, and now we get to pay for them yet again... I have friends there and feel sorry for everyone there.

If the Humanitarian crisis is bad enough, you can't call them out... What a way for them to roll !

Do nothing, protect nothing, prepare for nothing because the OLE USA will be there... Mismanaged Island and we get to clean it up...

Everybody here knows someone from PR... They are here because it sucks over there. They have used us long enough... I actually agree with Trump, to bad he didn't tweet it out 6 years ago during the Credit default in which, PR just said FU to America with a debt restructuring program that they can never pay. Add to it this disaster and they are all headed here...
    When are we going to do something right where the rich people can't corrupt the system, make money and walk away.. Everyone knew the island was falling to pieces and we need a hurricane to put it over the top.

Sad, Sad, Sad....

PR is part of the good OLE USA. They are Americans just like those impacted in Florida and Texas.

But I agree that the uber rich gaming the system need their privileged access to the political process revoked.
    There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!
  • Icecat21Icecat21 Posts: 634 Officer
    gettinwet wrote: »
    PR is part of the good OLE USA. They are Americans just like those impacted in Florida and Texas.

But I agree that the uber rich gaming the system need their privileged access to the political process revoked.

Should have asked them a few weeks ago if they were Americans....

Ask them now.

Compare the answers.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 6,472 Admiral
    Icecat21 wrote: »

Ask them now.

Compare the answers.

They would of said yes, just not yes to statehood, there is a difference
    They would of said yes, just not yes to statehood, there is a difference

Didn't they just vote for Statehood a month ago?
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 5,359 Admiral
    Yeah they did but most of the voters stayed home. The ones that don't want statehood.
    stc1993 wrote: »
    Yeah they did but most of the voters stayed home. The ones that don't want statehood.

How do you know that?
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 6,337 Admiral
    My Bride is full P' Rican . got lot's of family there. Not a Rocket Scientist or Brain Surgeon in the bunch...just sayin..
    When I first met her 30 years ago I asked her if she had a Green card..She told me flat out , We're Americans,,
    It's awful hard on them Folks and I wish them the best.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    Menzies wrote: »
    How do you know that?

It was on the news. The pols that didn't want statehood got them to stay home.
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 9,820 Admiral
    Seems the only thing they want to do with the US, is getting the dollars and support.

The rock is in bad shape.
    When we were there a week ago and were doing the touristy stuff we read that SJ touts themselves as the oldest city in America.

Go figger!
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 9,820 Admiral
    Money grab. Statehood means $'s and lots of them.
    Resinhead wrote: »
    Money grab. Statehood means $'s and lots of them.

You betcha, just read any budget passed by Congress and the pork that each representative gets for their state. Who wouldn't want a slice of that?
    Have any of you read how bad PR really is. There's places the police don't even go. The dope sellers have whole neighborhoods cordoned off from the police (for lack of better words) They have lookouts with radios to warn them if the police do try to come.

The FBI did finally go into a few places.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 6,337 Admiral
    Remember when they were going to kick the Navy and Coasties out.
    How about Vincennes Island Bombing Range...
    It really is nice to have a Rich Big Brother after all....winning..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 4,579 Captain
    Remember when they were going to kick the Navy and Coasties out.
    How about Vincennes Island Bombing Range...
    It really is nice to have a Rich Big Brother after all....winning..
    Did you get much damage from Irma?
    Seems like you were headed to north Florida last I heard.......
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
    Didn't they just vote for Statehood a month ago?

you are correct
    The Trump administration on Tuesday denied a request from several members of Congress to waive shipping restrictions to help get gasoline and other supplies to Puerto Rico as the island recovers from Hurricane Maria.

McCain called the department's decision "unacceptable" and warned that Puerto Rico faces a humanitarian crisis as the island's 3.4 million people struggle to survive without power or clean water.

Officials estimate the island could be without power for up to six months.

"It is unacceptable to force the people of Puerto Rico to pay at least twice as much for food, clean drinking water, supplies and infrastructure due to Jones Act requirements as they work to recover from this disaster," McCain wrote.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/352597-us-wont-waive-shipping-restrictions-for-puerto-rico-relief
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,202 AG
    There will be a mass migration to the mainland soon, and they can register to vote in their new states as soon as they move.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 11,772 AG
    Icecat21 wrote: »

Ask them now.

Compare the answers.

Did you really say that?

Do you know they voted earlier this summer to become a state....and like 97% said yes. Does that sound like a group that doesn't want to be American?

This place never ceases to amaze me.
    The Trump administration on Tuesday denied a request from several members of Congress to waive shipping restrictions to help get gasoline and other supplies to Puerto Rico as the island recovers from Hurricane Maria.

McCain called the department's decision "unacceptable" and warned that Puerto Rico faces a humanitarian crisis as the island's 3.4 million people struggle to survive without power or clean water.

Officials estimate the island could be without power for up to six months.

"It is unacceptable to force the people of Puerto Rico to pay at least twice as much for food, clean drinking water, supplies and infrastructure due to Jones Act requirements as they work to recover from this disaster," McCain wrote.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/352597-us-wont-waive-shipping-restrictions-for-puerto-rico-relief

The overt assumption behind the Jones Act is that ships not registered in the US have less stringent safety and other standards. (The covert is a level of protectionism).

However there are many many ships registered elsewhere who have very high standards - e.g. cruise sips. Their business model depend on it.
    The overt assumption behind the Jones Act is that ships not registered in the US have less stringent safety and other standards. (The covert is a level of protectionism).

However there are many many ships registered elsewhere who have very high standards - e.g. cruise sips. Their business model depend on it.

They lifted it for Fl after the stations ran out of gas
    And yet El Faro was US Registered.