Home General Freshwater Fishing

Ida clown knife fish help

Looking to fish Ida in my kayak and hopefully catch my first clown knifefish. From everything i see it looks like they mostly stay in the canals off ida. Is it a specific canal or will any that have bridges and other structure do? Planning on using lures. Mostly small baitfish immatations. Maybe throw the fly if i can find them in groups. Any hep you can provide would be great.

Replies

• troutbomtroutbom Posts: 297 Deckhand
    Been thinking same thing but havent tried it. I'm planning on throwing shad pattern flies and rapala shad raps. From what I see, REAL hard to feed on lures and flies. Best results on live shad.
  • sandwashsluggersandwashslugger Posts: 244 Deckhand
    Best results live chumming, which is what all the charter guys do down here. Youre in for a long day throwing lures unless the bite is absolutely on fire. They are everywhere from Lake Park all the way down south of Boca Raton. They like structure, but they will also follow the shad. If you find the shad they will be underneath them.
  • greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 850 Officer
    Went down today and took my first shot at trying to get one. Got to the park and it was closed. Had to carry the kayak plus rods a good distance to get it launched. I found clowns rolling but no bites on flies or lures. Hard to believe i was seeing so many and not getting bites. So far everyone has told me live bait but i'm not much of a live bait kinda guy. Sad it seems like they would be a great fish to fight on fly. Might have to bite the bullet and bait up next time.
    They are tough. I've had days when I've seen 20 separate fish rolling and not eating anything, even live shiners. They are extremely finicky. Still looking to get my first on artificial, have only heard of one guy that's got one on a fly and he's put in a ton of time.
    They are tough. I've had days when I've seen 20 separate fish rolling and not eating anything, even live shiners. They are extremely finicky. Still looking to get my first on artificial, have only heard of one guy that's got one on a fly and he's put in a ton of time.

Sandwash, Can you see the shad dimpling or do you need sonar? Also, I can only throw a 5' net, will that work?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    I've never seen the shad dimpling except when I was on the water super early, and once guys are on them they go down and you need sonar. I use 6' net but 8' would be a lot better. I'm usually betting in 10-14' of water so it has to sink quick, a light cheap bet won't work
  • greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 850 Officer
    They stinks about them not taking the fly. They seem like they would be a fun fish on fly.
    Thanks slugger. I have a 6' but no sonar. What the hell, I'll throw shad pattern fly I tied and be happy with by catch of peas and LMBs I HOPE to catch.