Pre-Irma Report from the Hogpen 9-7-17 Sailfish

Thursday I couldn't resist the urge to get away from preparing for Irma and get out to the Hogpen for some groceries. By 9:30 I was in a good spot and catching grunt and small red groupers, I also caught a few blue runners and threw them in the livewell. Soon the Hogs started biting and by 11:30 I had my limit, I had sent a runner back on my Penn 750ss with a balloon only allowing him to go down about 5 foot. He was around 50-75 ft behind the boat and had been back there about an hour, I actually thought he might be dead, but I saw something playing with him when the balloon took off and out of the water comes a Sailfish dancing on his tail. It ran and jumped 6-8 times all the while pulling drag until the last jump about 250 yards out when it broke off. I was soooooo excited and yet really chapped, in that minute and a half my mind just couldn't process what was actually happening, I'm sure I did absolutely everything wrong. For 30 minutes I was trying to re-rig my rod, but my hands were shaking too much to tie a proper knot. I really have to compare this to my wedding night, 1:30 seconds of pure excitement, did everything wrong, and can't wait to do it again. :rotflmao The short video is of the sailfish, not my wedding night.:nono

[video]
Hog3.jpg 101.8K

Replies

• sas0061sas0061 Posts: 73 Greenhorn
    Great looking Hogs! I posted about 6 weeks ago that I saw a sailfish in 55'... Really wish I had something freelining back there... As for the hogs, for the most part I feel as if I should be catching them in some of my spots that produce undersized reds and grunts galore. I read somewhere that you go through at least 5 dozen live shrimp before hogs bite/ move in...would you say that's similar? Are they even in 50-60'?
  • GratefulEdGratefulEd Posts: 312 Deckhand
    Good for you, man!
    That 'Shaky Hand' thing has kept me after fish all my life.
    To see my sons get it is pure joy.
  • AZappiaAZappia Posts: 90 Deckhand
    Right on!

What a day on the water. How far out were you?
  • saltwaterstiffysaltwaterstiffy Posts: 67 Greenhorn
    Nice pre-Irma trip adn nice hogs. Love the wedding night reference.....
  • swordawetswordawet 337 miles WNW of GTCPosts: 622 Officer
    Well played ,,,,pelagics are the bomb!
    "Today's the Day" .... Mel Fisher
  • m10renm10ren Posts: 109 Deckhand
    sas0061 wrote: »
    Great looking Hogs! I posted about 6 weeks ago that I saw a sailfish in 55'... Really wish I had something freelining back there... As for the hogs, for the most part I feel as if I should be catching them in some of my spots that produce undersized reds and grunts galore. I read somewhere that you go through at least 5 dozen live shrimp before hogs bite/ move in...would you say that's similar? Are they even in 50-60'?

I'm fishing for Hogfish in the 40-45 ft range, my wife and I will take 8-10 dozen shrimp and typically will bring home a couple dozen to freeze. I'll start out with my frozen shrimp the next time out since the Hogs take a little while to start biting.
  • sas0061sas0061 Posts: 73 Greenhorn
    m10ren wrote: »
    I'm fishing for Hogfish in the 40-45 ft range, my wife and I will take 8-10 dozen shrimp and typically will bring home a couple dozen to freeze. I'll start out with my frozen shrimp the next time out since the Hogs take a little while to start biting.

Good stuff. Appreciate the input!
  • FS ShelbyFS Shelby Posts: 687 Officer
    Great report, thanks for sharing with the FS forum community!

You will now be entered in our forum giveaway! Keep posting new reports until September 31st for more chances to win the fishing trip of a lifetime with Fishing Nosara in Costa Rica!

Check out http://www.floridasportsman.com/2017/06/12/win-costa-rica-fishing-adventure/ for more details.