Newbie Bradenton area fishing

Hello all, I spend a couple of weeks a year in the Bradenton area. I'm a descent fisherman up north for trout , walleye and such but clueless in Florida. I would greatly appreciate some insight into fishing the Bradenton area from the shore/no boat. Particularly, is there good fishing to be done and where, what kinda fish to expect and how best to catch them. I'm willing to travel some if that's what's needed also. We are typically there in early March. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• idlerickidlerick Littleton, Colorado & Sarasota, FlaPosts: 233 Deckhand
    Try the Emerson Point area. Park at the picnic shelter about half way to the point and walk the trail back and wade. Might need those Simms in March. Or go to the end and wade fish. Clouser minnows on a 7 wt. or swim baits if you spin. Sea trout, mackeral, snook, reds, ladyfish, blues, flounder, never can tell. Even seen barracuda and small sharks back there.
    Or the flats off the Ringling museum, or Whitfield Ave flats further south. Same targets, same lures.
    :)
  • Hodgey1Hodgey1 Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the input idlerick.

"Clouser minnows on a 7 wt. or swim baits if you spin." Can you elaborate on this? I'm not sure what Clouser minnow's are and is 7 wt a type of sinker?
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 733 Officer
    He's talking about fly fishing. It sounds like your best bet might be to pick up some shrimp at a bait shop and put them about 2 feet under a bobber. Keep it simple and don't expect to much. Many people come to florida and try to fish and get disappointed. It takes years for most to be successful fishing here.
    Also, March can be an iffy month depending on weather. Last March was very good, but we had nice warm weather.
  • idlerickidlerick Littleton, Colorado & Sarasota, FlaPosts: 233 Deckhand
    Sorry, yeah, I saw the trout reference in your OP and thought you'd know flies and FF-ing.
    As Lukky says, if bait's more your forte, go with shrimp from a local bait shop. Bring one of those D-cell bubblers to keep them alive until you get where you're going, or you'll have a bait bucket full of tonight's dead dinner in about 30 minutes.
    Option - pick up a few small DOA shrimp (a brand name - artificial shrimp) and a popping cork. Put the DOA about 4 feet below the cork. Toss it way out and yank it hard every 10-30 seconds, causing the cork to pop and rattle and making the shrimp jump up to the top and then sink slowly. Deadly bait in those waters, and they stay alive forever.
    A swim bait is just a paddle tailed-plastic on a 1/8-1/4 oz jig head. Cast & erratic retrieve.
    Stop in to a local shop and get some advice with the equipment you need.
    :)
    idlerick wrote: »
    As Lukky says, if bait's more your forte, go with shrimp from a local bait shop. Bring one of those D-cell bubblers to keep them alive until you get where you're going, or you'll have a bait bucket full of tonight's dead dinner in about 30 minutes.
    Option - pick up a few small DOA shrimp (a brand name - artificial shrimp) and a popping cork. Put the DOA about 4 feet below the cork. Toss it way out and yank it hard every 10-30 seconds, causing the cork to pop and rattle and making the shrimp jump up to the top and then sink slowly. Deadly bait in those waters, and they stay alive forever.
    A swim bait is just a paddle tailed-plastic on a 1/8-1/4 oz jig head. Cast & erratic retrieve.
    Stop in to a local shop and get some advice with the equipment you need.

Thanks for all of the great information! Can you or anyone give a recommendation on pole length and action and also reel size. I watched a video on using the popping float, very interesting technique, I've never seen that used.
    7 foot medium action, 3000 reel with 15 pound braid and 25 pound floro carbon leader will get it done. If you want to go a little heavier, 7 foot medium heavy with a 4000 reel will work too.
    lukkyracer wrote: »
    Also, March can be an iffy month depending on weather. Last March was very good, but we had nice warm weather.

So March isn't a great month to fish the Bradenton Area? When does shore/wade fishing start to pick up?
    You are not getting it dude. Just go fishing.
  • QuahogQuahog Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    Wade fishing is very limited. You can catch fish here and there, if the fish are there in your small area, but I'd recommend at least getting a kayak or small boat to consistently catch fish. When I was learning to fish Tampa Bay drifting flats with the wind casting lures and soft plastics really added to the success. Also, march can have cold fronts which pushes fish back into bayous and canals so you may be better off fishing docks which you can't access wading.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,380 Officer
    Before I got a boat in FL, Bradenton area, I waded a few places. The guys at Discount Tackle Outlet are a wealth of information for tackle and places and the prices aren't bad. You'll do better in a boat or kayak but wading can get you some fish.
  • snookwhisperersnookwhisperer Posts: 229 Deckhand
    Go to Fort Desoto and rent a kayak, fish around where you rented the boat. Do the popping cork, shrimp thing.
    You should do alright.