Home General Paddle Craft

Something new in Old Tampa Bay.

Did some exploring around Old Tampa Bay, didn't catch anything big. Did make an accidental discovery though. I have a sail for my PA12 and take it occasionally if I have room and it won't be rough, just to make the trip back to launch site easier after a long day. I bought a $5 collapsible umbrella for a little sun relief if needed, and mid-afternoon was drifting along with the tide and enjoying the shade. Decided to see how it work as a sail and with a wind around 10 mph, I picked up a clear 1 kph. Nice, and it fits in the front storage compartment too! Most interesting catch was a mullet (snagged on the head) on a gold spoon. Saw a few tarpon rolling early but couldn't get a bite on DOA or Hogy jigs. Did catch some ladyfish, trout, jacks and spanish mackerel from under some birds. Finished up with pulling up a few undersized black grouper and losing something big to a piling, using live bait. Water temps were 83 early, on up to 89 in the afternoon. Not the day I was hoping for but enjoyable.

Replies