TS Irma

1111213141517»

Replies

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 8,475 Admiral
    My neighborhood... except our side of the street. We were without power for only 36 hours. Now the stupid cable/internet is another story!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Captain Todd Approves

• frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    NSB Photog wrote: »
    I'm starting to get the hang of it...

at least you got your waves
    No political signature
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 5,561 Admiral
    I read tonite there was still 975,000 without power in FL.
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 5,528 Admiral
    Getting ready to go fishing after all this. Haven't checked sea conditions yet. I hope their good!

Just looked, 4-6 foot seas. Going for it anyway.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,710 Captain
    Got my power yesterday afternoon. Cranked the AC. I have gone from sweating my **** off to freezing. :)

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• FlashFlash Posts: 11,162 AG
    Quite lucky although it killed my trip north.
    Luckily I had moved the truck out to the main pole barn and once everyone got power back, I was still without. Spotted this culprit and was back up the next day.

Plenty of limbs and branches down and it finished off one tree damaged by Matthew. Otherwise house is undamaged.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 4,865 Captain
    Is that a transformer missing? Where did it go?
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
    It looks like the neutral is tripped.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 6,495 Admiral
    Looks like no power at my house for another week or so.
    Glad I'm at my Camp in Taylor County. Can't wait to go home and clean out my rotted fridges.
    2 fridges and 1 bait freezer...gonna be fun.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,679 AG
    Heatwave wrote: »
    The reason I added the 125$ widow A/C unit to the Hurricane Prepare kit 10 years ago. Still have not used it, other than to run it for a day every couple years to make sure it runs good, then, back into the attic. Peace of mind knowing I can sleep when time comes is worth it.

This season really taught me how unprepared I was to be without power. I had access to enough ice that a generator wasn't 100% necessary but once i got one i was very happy to have it. The list is going to be two of those honda suitcase generators that run super quiet, and a room air conditioner, whether it's a window unit or one with the flex running to a window, but i won't go into another hurrican season without those two items again.
    I could handle everything, but not having air was a deal breaker.
    What i'd like to do, and i mentioned this to the MRs was to get an RV. park that bad boy in the driveway and live out of it while the power is out.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 13,207 AG
    This season really taught me how unprepared I was to be without power. I had access to enough ice that a generator wasn't 100% necessary but once i got one i was very happy to have it. The list is going to be two of those honda suitcase generators that run super quiet, and a room air conditioner, whether it's a window unit or one with the flex running to a window, but i won't go into another hurrican season without those two items again.
    I could handle everything, but not having air was a deal breaker.
    What i'd like to do, and i mentioned this to the MRs was to get an RV. park that bad boy in the driveway and live out of it while the power is out.

Just buy a generator that will run your house of parts at a time. Cheaper than a RV.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,679 AG
    micci_man wrote: »
    Just buy a generator that will run your house of parts at a time. Cheaper than a RV.

i just need the single room AC for sleeping and the fridge. The rest i can muddle through. I want the smaller generators because of lack of garage space. That and fuel consumption. that 5500 I was running was using 10 gallons of gas a day. i don't need all that. Just cold beer and a room that's under 80 degrees to sleep in.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,285 Admiral
    Climb up there with jumper cables and hook it up!
    23895.gif
    My Favorite Irma Moments

I'm not going to evacuate

We should be ok, right?

Bring it

Stop fn around, this is serious

Captain Todd Approves

• Dam, I feel bad reading about power issues. We live 7 wood poles off a hurricane hardened line to City Hall and the BSO substation. Never lost power long enough for the genset to kick in. Internet down 48 hours but all ok now.

Debris cleanup??? Thats another thing, Deerfield no so good at cleanup. I suspect the city is leaving it all for subcontractors so its easier to document cost for a FEMA check.
  • RareRare Posts: 248 Deckhand
    Finally got power yesterday after 8PM. I'm off of Douglas Road/ near Miracle Mile. Our family went 2 weeks without power with Andrew... I knew what was to come after the power went out. In Gables, they held a meeting last Thursday on talks about suing FPL. Pinecrest was on the same track as well. South Miami residents have started class action lawsuit against FPL.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/fpl-sued-for-inadequate-hurricane-irma-response-in-miami-9681461
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,710 Captain
    Rare wrote: »
    Finally got power yesterday after 8PM. I'm off of Douglas Road/ near Miracle Mile. Our family went 2 weeks without power with Andrew... I knew what was to come after the power went out. In Gables, they held a meeting last Thursday on talks about suing FPL. Pinecrest was on the same track as well. South Miami residents have started class action lawsuit against FPL.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/fpl-sued-for-inadequate-hurricane-irma-response-in-miami-9681461

Why would the Gables and other wealthy neighborhoods feel that they should have power before others? A lot of people are still without power. Just saying.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• NewberryJeffNewberryJeff Posts: 7,406 Admiral
    FPL made $6million in campaign contributions to the state legislature last year. Miami residents will get an increase in their "storm charge" to cover FPLs post-Irma profit before they'll win a lawsuit.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 6,495 Admiral
    I'd be happy with free Ice Cream Trucks about Noonish..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    I've learned half of Florida loves linesmen and power companies, the other half hates them.

It just depends when your power gets restored.

I think it's funny. The first day we are all in this together. By day seven people are back to complaining about something. People forget they had their butts clinched a week ago just hoping to come out ok. Let's not forget this was a pretty big natural disasters and a lot of trees took out a lot of power lines.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Captain Todd Approves

conchydong wrote: »
    Why would the Gables and other wealthy neighborhoods feel that they should have power before others? A lot of people are still without power. Just saying.

The one's that pay the most property taxes get took care of 1st. It's always been that way & rolls down hill from there.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,162 AG
    Is that a transformer missing? Where did it go?

It's on the first pole in on the property.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield