TS Irma

Replies

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 7,377 Admiral
    Tarponator wrote: »
    Makes one wonder how anyone lived in Florida before the invention of air conditioning....
    Not a lot of people did. Now half the people you meat are from somewhere else.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Captain Todd Approves

Spectrum better prorate my bill this month. I heard rumors they said they won't.

Captain Todd Approves

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,249 Admiral
    NSB Photog wrote: »
    Power was restored to my street, but unfortunately my line to the house has been damaged so I have a feeling we are going to be down for a little while.

We picked up a small window unit A/C for the master bedroom to run off the generator, and it has been a tremendous blessing to have at least one room you can retire to and cool off. Definitely worth the money if you can find one.

that's the thing. gotta find one.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 10,319 AG
    mplspug wrote: »
    the people you meat

Let's keep it clean!
    Warning Level 2
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,119 Captain
    Not a lot of people did. Now half the people you meat are from somewhere else.

I am a 5th generation Floridian and did not have air conditioning until I was in my teens and it didn't bother
    Me then. It sure bothers me now

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

Todd is aroused.

Captain Todd Approves

• CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,355 Officer
    Growing up in northeast FL we never had AC......not even in the car:hairraiser

Junior year of high school we finally got AC in the vehicles.......folks didn't install AC in the house until I was already gone a few years.

Had an attic fan and a window fan......always slept with windows open unless it was storming.

Had a huge overgrown Gardenia bush in front of my bedroom window to shield view into house from the street.

To this day.........I hate the smell of Gardenia blossoms.:rotflmao

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

• ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 6,898 Admiral
    I grew up in Georgia in the 50's and we did not have AC in the house or cars. In fact, I never attended a school that had AC until college. Very few stores had AC either and the few that did would advertise it on their doors.

I guess you don't miss what you don't have but then the houses and all building were built to maximize prevailing breezes and shade trees.
    Deo Vindice
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 4,395 Captain
    I was lucky enough to have a dad in the mechanical trade. We had A/C in 1956 in Tennessee when I was born. We certainly had it when we moved to Florida in 1963. Thanks Dad!
    Parkerboy wrote: »
    I grew up in Georgia in the 50's and we did not have AC in the house or cars. In fact, I never attended a school that had AC until college. Very few stores had AC either and the few that did would advertise it on their doors.

I guess you don't miss what you don't have but then the houses and all building were built to maximize prevailing breezes and shade trees.

I didn't have A/C at school till the 9th grade in Lauderdale. Never bothered me back then, didn't think much about it.
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    Our cardboard box sitting in the middle of the road didn't have A/C just the breeze of passing cars.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 5,078 Admiral

I remember those signs on the doors "Come on in it's air conditioned."
  • King_MeKing_Me Posts: 5,309 Admiral
    you know what happens when you accidentally add some premixed gas to a generator? first it stalls and won't start, then you realize after cranking on it for 10 minutes what you did. then you curse the heavens and earth. then you dump the gas out...then you pull the generator back upright onto your foot. swear some more. add good gas..pull again for 10 minutes. choke pull repeat...it starts....then dies... then you see you had closed the fuel line when you were dumping it....you open it. pull again for 10 minutes. finally get it back running on 1/3 choke. go to the gas station, buy more gas....fill the tank to dilute any remaining oil. then you go back to work sweating..tired..angry, making one more stop to fill that gas can for the evening.

kill me

I ran out of gas mowing my lawn yesterday, only gas that I had was 2-cycle. It ran fine to finish the job.

My generator eventually took a crap during the storm, it would run for 10 minutes then choke and eventually quit. I let it sit for 15 minutes and repeat process. It kept the fridge cold and lost no food.

Was looking for a small engine repair shop with no luck, ordered new carb, fuel line and filter from Amazon. Probably cheaper than bringing to shop and its all brand new parts.
  • fishinbugfishinbug Posts: 304 Deckhand
    conchydong wrote: »
    I am a 5th generation Floridian and did not have air conditioning until I was in my teens and it didn't bother
    Me then. It sure bothers me now

I'm right there with you, conchydong. Neither one of us is a teenager anymore. :D
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,303 Admiral
    Spectrum better prorate my bill this month. I heard rumors they said they won't.

I've heard that you have to convince them you had power so they can not use that for an excuse. I guess you would have to say you have a whole house generator. The chances are zero they would check on this. Good luck.
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
    King_Me wrote: »
    I ran out of gas mowing my lawn yesterday, only gas that I had was 2-cycle. It ran fine to finish the job.

My generator eventually took a crap during the storm, it would run for 10 minutes then choke and eventually quit. I let it sit for 15 minutes and repeat process. It kept the fridge cold and lost no food.

Was looking for a small engine repair shop with no luck, ordered new carb, fuel line and filter from Amazon. Probably cheaper than bringing to shop and its all brand new parts.

still no power, running 10 gallons of fuel a day, at 2.69 i'm spending almost $27 dollars a day just to run a refrigerator and a box fan. If we dont' get power by tomorrow, i'm switching it off, hell with the food, i've spent more to keep it running than the food was worth.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • King_MeKing_Me Posts: 5,309 Admiral
    still no power, running 10 gallons of fuel a day, at 2.69 i'm spending almost $27 dollars a day just to run a refrigerator and a box fan. If we dont' get power by tomorrow, i'm switching it off, hell with the food, i've spent more to keep it running than the food was worth.

I suffered during Wilma for 10 days without power. I know it really sucks :(
    King_Me wrote: »
    I suffered during Wilma for 10 days without power. I know it really sucks :(

I don't mean to whine. just haven't slept since Saturday night. You don't sleep in 89 degree heat. you just lay there until you can get up and go to work. People in the neighborhood just gave up and left.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,722 AG
    Dang, I ran a generator for 17 hrs Monday on 2.5 gallons of gas. I feel for ya man and the others that are still without power.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    I dont wanna brag but....
    fed1a8b52fd3f8c7f4d6743d7a7ea46a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 11,370 AG
    By the power of Grayskull, I'm glad to hear that.

My GF and her clan also got power last night Pinellas.
    Tarponator wrote: »
    By the power of Grayskull, I'm glad to hear that.

My GF and her clan also got power last night Pinellas.

Great to hear! I saw them on the adjacent road and it was like walking up unannounced on a 12 point. Wasn't sure if they were real or not lol.
  • Bottom LinesBottom Lines Posts: 1,102 Officer
    Guess I'm a weirdo... Been sleeping just fine with a couple of fans on high blowing on me. Actually woke up chilled last night, and grabbed a sheet. True story. Sweating my *** off during the day though...
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 11,370 AG
    The heat doesn't bother me during the day if I find some shade (or just a hat). Sleeping in it is something I have not mastered however. I simply can't sleep well when it's hot out (let's say north of about 78 degrees). I live a sheltered life, I suppose.
    I can sleep in 78-80 no problem. It's not the best, but it's cool enough to sleep. But 88 degrees, with a fan running on high, and a generator running like a jackhammer 30 feet away, with neck sweating like crazy i just cannot relax enough to nod off. You feel dehydrated crawling into bed and worse in the middle of the night. Then you nod off for a minute and wake up in a panic thinking the generator isn't running, or it's gonna stall or something. Just not a good formula for any rest.

I'm going to bed tonight after dinner, i mean like 730. Gonna get some good pillow time tonight!
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    Drink until you pass out!
  • NSB PhotogNSB Photog Posts: 474 Deckhand
    I'm starting to get the hang of it...
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Posts: 1,997 Captain
    I can sleep in 78-80 no problem. It's not the best, but it's cool enough to sleep. But 88 degrees, with a fan running on high, and a generator running like a jackhammer 30 feet away, with neck sweating like crazy i just cannot relax enough to nod off. You feel dehydrated crawling into bed and worse in the middle of the night. Then you nod off for a minute and wake up in a panic thinking the generator isn't running, or it's gonna stall or something. Just not a good formula for any rest.

I'm going to bed tonight after dinner, i mean like 730. Gonna get some good pillow time tonight!

The reason I added the 125$ widow A/C unit to the Hurricane Prepare kit 10 years ago. Still have not used it, other than to run it for a day every couple years to make sure it runs good, then, back into the attic. Peace of mind knowing I can sleep when time comes is worth it.
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Posts: 1,997 Captain

Every time i read this no A/C stuff, I think of movies where i see them suffering in it. I grew up in the burbs outside of Philly, born in 65 and had no clue what an outhouse was until I was 13. My step grandfather had one and I asked where is the bathroom ? Outside, I laughed and then they laughed... I was already a streetwise punk that smoked, slept with one of my babysitters (scared to death) and my dad was a biker... I thought I knew everything until that day.
    Been fascinated with the south ever since in a way. Like, in, why would anyone come down here... I get the beach, fishing, farming, Oil... But why in the world would anyone pick up in 1985 and more to some place to take a job in the south knowing the days were long, hot and you had to sleep in the heat.
    All your steel rusts, wood falls apart from the contracting,... Fired Green Tomato's... Just can't imagine sitting at a restaurant and eating in the Heat.. Or Walk the line - where they live out in the boonies like that (why)? Why would anyone live that far from town ? I understand it now, now you can get every convenience of modern living... At first I thought, wow, the hunting must be great down there, that is why they do it ? O brother where are tho.... Now that is the South all Northerner think of... THe Parody of it from the jewish brothers that wrote it rings true... To bad so southerners dont do the Jewish family of New York... (payback). I know the real people of the south down here must hate to see it all go by way of money... It really is too bad...

The airplane Repo guy has it all, class, brains, and backwoods life style.. Good dude and got balls... If he had grew up in New York, Mass, Philly, he would have been a CEO of a Major corp. He grew up in the south so he repo's planes..
    Got power today at the beach house. Me and my buddy that live in the woods got power yesterday and my friend in town got power today. So, anyone else still without power?