Report: Supplying Police With High-Powered Military Weapons To Sharply Reduce Costs

dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 6,205 Admiral
Report: Supplying Police With High-Powered Military Weapons To Sharply Reduce Costs Of Shooting Suspects Multiple Times

WASHINGTON—Saying the initiative could provide significant savings for cash-strapped police departments nationwide, a report released Tuesday by the Bureau of Justice Statistics found that the Trump administration’s plan to supply local law enforcement with high-powered military weapons would greatly lower the costs incurred from shooting suspects multiple times. “A single discharge from a grenade launcher can do the work that would have previously required an officer to fire 15 or more times at a potential criminal, which is great for departments’ bottom lines,” said lead researcher Grant Sherman, noting that access to an array of surplus Pentagon equipment and firearms would allow police to conserve pricey ammunition when encountering individuals matching the descriptions of burglary perpetrators, responding to reports of minors holding unknown objects, or during routine traffic stops. “No longer will law enforcement have to foot the substantial cost of having five or six responding officers unload their entire clips into a suspicious looking individual on the street when they can instead fire one shell from the roof-mounted cannon of an armored truck. In sum, we expect police forces in the U.S. to save tens of millions of dollars annually.” Sherman added that state and federal corrections departments should also see considerable savings from the initiative, noting that expensive overcrowding would likely abate due to significantly higher and more cost-effective suspect fatality rates
http://www.theonion.com/article/report-supplying-police-high-powered-military-weap-56794

Replies

• Dr. BogasDr. Bogas Posts: 520 Officer
    FS forum needs a political section
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    Dr. Bogas wrote: »
    FS forum needs a political section

Seriously?

I think FS Forum needs naivete training.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 25,725 AG
    That works better if you don't source the onion. At least two or three members will believe it.

Mini Mart Magnate

• treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 3,189 Captain
    Does anyone have intelligence any more?
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,451 AG
    cadman wrote: »
    That works better if you don't source the onion. At least two or three members will believe it.

It seems as if someone already has.

:grin
    Vote for the other candidate
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,808 Admiral
    Menzies wrote: »
    Seriously?

I think FS Forum needs naivete training.

what
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 7,369 Admiral
    I wish it weren't The Onion.

Captain Todd Approves

• tagtag Posts: 8,794 Admiral
    Police need a tactical nuclear option. They could clear protests quickly that way.:wink
  • The VilleThe Ville Posts: 457 Deckhand
    That's really the lesson these days isn't it, where you receive your news from. That choice alone seems to resonate along lines of reason.
    It's not my job to provide your education look it up yourself!
    The Ville wrote: »
    That's really the lesson these days isn't it, where you receive your news from. That choice alone seems to resonate along lines of reason.

Reading the Courier Journal right now. It seems James Ramsy has some problems.......
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    Reading the Courier Journal right now. It seems James Ramsy has some problems.......

I knew that was coming I just hope it doesn't do more to scandalize the University but I know it will. Kind of reminds how the politicians receive illegal funds these days thru charities. They pull the 2013 banner for basketball and Louisville will clean house. I mean everybody. Pitino, AD I hope everyone. #$@%^# sad.
    The Ville wrote: »
    I knew that was coming I just hope it doesn't do more to scandalize the University but I know it will. Kind of reminds how the politicians receive illegal funds these days thru charities. They pull the 2013 banner for basketball and Louisville will clean house. I mean everybody. Pitino, AD I hope everyone. #$@%^# sad.

You can find a few corrupt, self serving people in many non profits. It sucks, but human nature cannot be denied.
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    You can find a few corrupt, self serving people in many non profits. It sucks, but human nature cannot be denied.

Loaning money to start up businesses that can't pay it back......there ya go!