Home Conservation Forums

Neighbor can't get fishing license

PangamanPangaman Posts: 911 Officer
My neighbor and fishing partner is a dead beat dad and the state will not let him have a fishing license. We normally just keep my limit when fishing offshore in federal waters. Was wondering if we could keep his limit in federal waters if we do not stop to fish in state waters on the way back to the ramp.

Replies

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,453 AG
    why do you hang out with scum?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,248 Officer
    :Agree

:crowd
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • ScarecrowScarecrow Posts: 338 Deckhand
    Is he a dead beat neighbor and fishing partner too?
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,452 Admiral
    Pangaman wrote: »
    My neighbor and fishing partner is a dead beat dad and the state will not let him have a fishing license. We normally just keep my limit when fishing offshore in federal waters. Was wondering if we could keep his limit in federal waters if we do not stop to fish in state waters on the way back to the ramp.

The answer to your question is NO. He would still be in possession while in state waters. If caught fishing or in possession of fish he's committing a first degree misdemeanor. If said buddy fails to own up to keeping his limit (or any fish) it will fall on you. I would choose your fishing partners better.
    This "friend" has had many chances to make good with the state by this point as this is one of the last things the state does when a person is in arrears when it comes to child support.
  • KortsmanKortsman Posts: 270 Deckhand
    Now.. Now... guys. Let's not jump to conclusions about this "friend". You don't know his situation. The only thing we know is that he's fathered children and doesn't have custody of them.
    I'm sure we can all agree that the dollar doesn't stretch as far as it used to. And we know that cigarettes aren't cheap, bar tabs get expensive, lottery scratchers can cost upwards of $20 a piece! He "may" also have medical issues that require herbal remedies... Natural supplements can get quite costly.
    Add this in with the court mandated payments and you're left with little to nothing at the end of the day. Something is going to get put off..
    I'm sure we've all come up short on funds at one point in our lives! Right? Don't crucify him until you know the facts...

But to answer the bag limit question, No it's not legal.
  • PangamanPangaman Posts: 911 Officer
    I try not to judge him and his situation. All I know is he shows up on time to go fishing, even at 3am. Helps clean the boat. Gives me gas money, and helps me with all my home improvement projects. Most people beg to go fishing then cancel the night before.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 10,073 AG
    I try not to judge him and his situation. All I know is he shows up on time to go fishing, even at 3am. Helps clean the boat. Gives me gas money, and helps me with all my home improvement projects. Most people beg to go fishing then cancel the night before.

Maybe he should send that money to his kids
    just saying
  • petedoggiedogpetedoggiedog Posts: 206 Deckhand
    advise your "friend" to own up to his responsibilities. that simple! only a low life neglects their childrens needs. he is not just short on money lately if he has been named a deadbeat dad. POS!!
    what's his oral situation?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • notreelynotreely Posts: 653 Officer
    I'm in no way condoning this kind of behavior, but try a saltwater products lisence. From what I've seen anyone can get one.
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,892 Captain
    notreely wrote: »
    I'm in no way condoning this kind of behavior, but try a saltwater products lisence. From what I've seen anyone can get one.

Yes once again the whiteboots prove...........if there is a loophole or dodge around to the intent of the law.......they will figure it out.

Then they wonder why John Q. Public doesn't show a lot of empathy for them these days.:rolleyes
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,452 Admiral
    notreely wrote: »

Bad advice that clearly wasn't thought through.
    Yes once again the whiteboots prove...........if there is a loophole or dodge around to the intent of the law.......they will figure it out.

Then they wonder why John Q. Public doesn't show a lot of empathy for them these days.:rolleyes
    anyone without major resource violations (and banned from fishing rec or commercial) can buy a fishing license or non RS endorsed SPL, even ole bumpkin with his latest resource violations..