Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Middle grounds trip

Obviously if this weather clears for the weekend, I'm interested in making a first time trip, and get these ARS before it closes. Anyone interested in riding out together. I have a 28 ft catamaran with twin Honda 225, 240 gallons fuel, vhf, eplirb, seatow and life raft. Boat is maintained and very sea worthy. Just trying to be as safe as possible and figure the only other way is more boats to go with. I am 40 years old, boating and fishing since I was 17, have a lot of offshore experience but nothing past 63 miles. I have the middle ground itch and would like the experience to go as smooth as possible, once again.....if the weather improves.

Replies

• Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,274 Officer
    You might get a response if you tell what port you are leaving from.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • tim htim h Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    You may want to reach out on The Hull Truth forum.
    Look for the "middle grounds" thread
  • Bottomfinder#1Bottomfinder#1 Posts: 1,021 Officer
    Dont need to go to the ground for ARS. Found em in 70ft last weekend with some pushing 25 inches
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,030 Admiral
    Dont need to go to the ground for ARS. Found em in 70ft last weekend with some pushing 25 inches

What he said.
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 5,009 Admiral
    :wink Looks like ARS are coming in much closer. Both the Grounds & Elbow are covered with 2-4 pound reds. Great sign!
  • clarosaclarosa Posts: 809 Officer
    Yea, I was getting them up to 28" in 50' of water a week ago...100mi run seems excessive for 2 fish and they are actually smaller out there right now from what I'm seeing on the hubbards reports. Unless you have some good grouper and mango numbers then It would be worth the run.
    :fishing Hubbard's overnight trips limited out (two day limit) on ARS virtually every trip. On both the Florida Middle Grounds & Elbow American reds were running smaller than in years past:
    38_zpsvyo9ay4e.jpg
    We did catch may very nice fish, but not the numbers of big boys as in years past.
    For us the smaller reds begin showing up last year; this year they are very abundant. Often it's all but impossible to get away from them. Great sign for our future.

Far off shore would indeed not be worth the run if not for grouper, tuna, kings, vermilion, & mangrove snapper. On Hubbard's overnight trips the #1 targeted fish is mangrove snapper. Two day federal limit is 20 & there is NO closed season. Last weekend the entire boat all but limited out before the sun came up; we are talking 400+ mangos. That, in itself, is a good catch:
    37_zpsacmc2i9f.jpg
  • EarthmoverEarthmover Posts: 397 Deckhand
    20+". Red snapper are in 40-60' out of horseshoe. They are getting picky, last time I had to use hole threads of pin fish, and drift. Sitting on them was not working
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,219 Moderator
  • sas0061sas0061 Posts: 94 Deckhand
    Earthmover wrote: »
    20+". Red snapper are in 40-60' out of horseshoe. They are getting picky, last time I had to use hole threads of pin fish, and drift. Sitting on them was not working

40 - 60 you say? :huh I go 50-60' out of longboat and haven't caught an ARS yet...Plenty of juvenile red grouper, lane snapper, and mangs though. Dropping live greenbacks, pinfish, and shrimp...
  • MariohoeltkeMariohoeltke Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Thank you, yeah Sunday looks better as far as the seas go, don't mind getting rained on as long as its not storming.
    I was catching ARS in 50' 30 miles out, not the normal catch but they were biting a few at a time....which is a good thing cause sometimes you can't get your bait past them to the bottom.
    Yeah not making the run out there just for ARS, gonna do a bit of trolling too, just figured make the run before its vent and release time.
    I have no problem running solo boat, just figured more boats would make the ride out more entertaining and figured maybe someone on this forum might be thinking the same thing, they would like to run but with another boat.
    Also I would be leaving out of hudson around 4am
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,030 Admiral
    As others have said, the ARS in 50-70' are running bigger than anything I've seen come out of the deeper water recently. With a few exceptions of course.
  • suprastevesuprasteve Posts: 187 Deckhand
    sas0061 wrote: »
    40 - 60 you say? :huh I go 50-60' out of longboat and haven't caught an ARS yet...Plenty of juvenile red grouper, lane snapper, and mangs though. Dropping live greenbacks, pinfish, and shrimp...
    Keep in mind this forum runs all the way up the the Anclote area. Different up there. Friend of mine speared a 10lb one in under 40' up that way. I've seen a couple diving in 50-60' off AMI this summer. Hook and line in about 70'.
  • GratefulEdGratefulEd Posts: 316 Deckhand
    Seems a long way to travel for two 20" fish. But I can only imagine the stoke of a trip like that. There are amazing opportunities out there besides those ARS. Give it a go, and share a report and some pictures when you get back?
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,339 Moderator
    Nothing better than a Grounds trip. ARS or no ARS, something about it. Have fun, be safe.
  • MariohoeltkeMariohoeltke Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Thanks, if weather cooperates and I make the run I will post pics.
  • sas0061sas0061 Posts: 94 Deckhand
    suprasteve wrote: »
    Keep in mind this forum runs all the way up the the Anclote area. Different up there. Friend of mine speared a 10lb one in under 40' up that way. I've seen a couple diving in 50-60' off AMI this summer. Hook and line in about 70'.

I agree with that...but launching from Horseshoe you're probably heading out through Bean Point...just a few miles north of Longboat Pass. A difference in 5 -10 miles N&S shouldn't have that much a difference? Maybe my spots just don't hold ARS...:shrug
    :fishing Headed for the Grounds on the Florida Fisherman ll this weekend. Plenty of fish without red snapper. Last week we caught kings, grouper, tuna, and over 400 mangrove snapper.
    37_zpsacmc2i9f.jpg