Yankee Captain 8/24/17

Another awesome trip aboard the great Yankee Captain! The weather made things uncomfortable, but Captain Greg made it happen for us. We headed out on a Pulley Ridge light trip Thursday evening and started drifting on top in the morning. The wind was howling and the rain was falling about half the time, so we deployed the sea anchor, which made holding on the bottom significantly better. Everyone who spent time on the rail caught fish, the biggest of which was a 40lb black grouper. The tuna bite was slow. There were several good bites on muttons, with a red grouper thrown in here and there for good measure. Do to cruddy weather, we stopped at the Tortugas for two drops. The first one was hot, with lots of mutton and BIG yellow-tails thrown in.
As usual, my favorite part was hanging out with old friends and making new ones. I recommend these trips sincerely, but you have to put in your time and pay attention to the exact tackle requirements. If you do, you'll have a much better catch and less tangles.

Replies

• Mjs799Mjs799 Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Hey bud. I was on the trip too. I agree the weather sucked. When it sprinkled it was kinda refreshing, but when it really rained it felt like you were getting hit with marbles!! The first stop at the tortugas on the way back really helped fill my cooler and it got us out of the "foolish" weather. One other thing, thanks Greg for putting the fight on Sat.
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,029 Officer
    Looks like you had a good trip despite the weather. Glad to see that Greg hasn't lost his touch. Can't wait to get down there to get back out on the water.
  • One Named Fishin'One Named Fishin' Key WestPosts: 40 Greenhorn
    Mjs799 wrote: »
    Hey bud. I was on the trip too. I agree the weather sucked. When it sprinkled it was kinda refreshing, but when it really rained it felt like you were getting hit with marbles!! The first stop at the tortugas on the way back really helped fill my cooler and it got us out of the "foolish" weather. One other thing, thanks Greg for putting the fight on Sat.

I'm glad you ended up doing well! I hate getting wet, so it was a real chore for me to fish in that rain, but it paid off on a couple spots. Say hi when you come back down. Joe
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,407 Officer
    I was gonna post a report but glad you already did. I'll just paste mine in the comments. Almost identical to yours. Go figure lol.
    Yankee Capt 8-24
    Spent the weekend with good friends on the Yankee Capts. Weather was pretty wet so I didn't take the pictures I normally do but I'll post the few I have.
    This was a Pulley Ridge Lite trip meaning we drift fished in 200-240. The wind and the current called for the crew to put out the enormous sea anchor and it worked like a charm. The whole trip I held bottom with 16oz or less. Bite was pretty good for the first few hours Friday morning but became a grind after that. We had two or three good flurries of activity and if you were at the rail you got some good fish.
    Saturday afternoon the rain became heavy and the wind kicked up. Greg made a great call to head back towards the Tortugas for a sunset stop on anchor. Bite was on fire. I had 8 muttons on that stop and Joe Tripp and others had more. Plus some monster yellowtails as a bonus.
    After this stop it was time to watch the fight on the boats big screen and enjoy Chef CHad Michaelz hot wings and other fight snacks. Speaking of Chad, I still can't get over the meals he's putting together. Seriously looks and tastes like something you would find at an upscale restaurant.
    Pool winner was a 40 lb black grouper. My final tally was 15 muttons, 5 red grouper (big one was 22#s!), 1 blackfin tuna, a few yellow tails and other jacks, porgies, etc.
    PS I wanted to mention I saw a few guys break off and lose a ton of line and a couple nice fish lost because a couple guys were fishing the up drift side of the boat. They would hook a fish but then take their time getting them to the surface. The fish would scope out under the boat eventually chaffing off or tangling with someone on the other side.
    Yeah it's tempting to get away from the crowd but not a good idea...IMO
    Is there anyway to post pics on this site using your mobile phone?
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,556 Captain
    Nice trip guys. Looked like you had all the weather.

Tapatalk app makes uploading pictures a breeze.
    97f5eab0d27f614451aa77ce7f078512.pngd28aa4b5fbd18eaef3c1ee255f183f8c.pngecb5683e96dd240b98ec34ee2ab4baf4.png72946d24e6a1157b91007ce1a8625f8c.jpgd718fc82b1044e10cae4334dbe85b8bd.jpg26b89fbafd8bbc1ced28218eac7a033f.jpgb184a2a733eaddb00ca1843c791dafc2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Real Teal!
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,556 Captain
    Anything to see those pictures!! Awesome stuff

Can't wait to get back in the spring. I was on a trip in August that got on a solid mutton bite like that. Man is it fun.
  • Mjs799Mjs799 Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    821546eb0091c4a5f7222451d3152eb9.jpg1bbef778b7411b3fdbcd2473b219c502.jpg66f4eb00c96647e188227144e9d126e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The colors on those PR muttons!!
  • AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 1,893 Captain
    nice slobs - sounds like another great trip
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Charter Service cheaper than renting

https://www.aokcharters.com/
    573-216-4078

https://www.AOKRVs.com   -- The best prices on the best best brands everyday.

• HooganHoogan Posts: 544 Officer
    Dudley,
    Lots of quality and quantity, glad to know DT is alive and well. It's being so long for me, health issues with family members and self have kept me away. Next trip on the big red-white-blue bus in two weeks and after that going for YFT off of the Mississippi delta. Next year planing on many trips aboard the YC. Although catching fish (Muttons) is my passion, enjoying the moments and old friends are missed.
    Cheers.
    Hoogan wrote: »
    Dudley,
    Lots of quality and quantity, glad to know DT is alive and well. It's being so long for me, health issues with family members and self have kept me away. Next trip on the big red-white-blue bus in two weeks and after that going for YFT off of the Mississippi delta. Next year planing on many trips aboard the YC. Although catching fish (Muttons) is my passion, enjoying the moments and old friends are missed.
    Cheers.
    Art glad your getting back out there man! You deserve it! Standing by for a couple great reports.
  • jt5691jt5691 Posts: 129 Deckhand
    Dudley nice report and great haul. Hope to fish with you again, maybe on a Yuri Trip. Have you fished with Billy Delph at All. Been out on day trips to the Tugas and killed it. Supposed to go Tuesday but Irma screwed that up. Let me know if yo are down for a day trip. He just took delivery of a new 40 foot Seahunter last week.

Best

John
  • stewystewy Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Sound like a decent trip. I'm suppose to do that halfway ledge trip this weekend, but not sure if Irma is gonna let that occur. Hope the folks in the keys are all okay despite the chaos.