Retirement Truck..

2»

Replies

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 27,143 AG
    Generally there are 2 kinds of manufacturers that will offer a "Lifetime Warranty".

There is the manufacturer that has his product down to a science and knows when or if it will fail and offers you the lifetime warranty knowing that he will rarely have to live up to it.

Then there is the manufacturer that produces a **** product and offers you a lifetime warranty in order to convince you of how great it is.

Dodge's warranty is non-transferable, they count on most people trading in long before major problems happen. Mine is nine years old, 80,000 miles and one minor A.C. problem fixed under warranty. I doubt I have any real issues until I get to 150,000 miles or more.

Mini Mart Magnate

• Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,764 Admiral
    Fish Haid wrote: »
    D. Wait a few months. Drive to Houston and buy one cheap. Put new carpet and seats, and you're good to go.

On the news it looked like almost every flooded house had a fancy new-looking club cab half submerged out front. Gonna be a insurance adjusters nightmare.

I still drive my 2003 F-150, but those new Chevys sure look nice. Really nice!
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Cane Pole wrote: »
    On the news it looked like almost every flooded house had a fancy new-looking club cab half submerged out front. Gonna be a insurance adjusters nightmare.

I still drive my 2003 F-150, but those new Chevys sure look nice. Really nice!

And thats why you be careful buying. A flooded vehicle is to be sold as scrap or parted out.
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • Buford CletusBuford Cletus Posts: 1,746 Captain
    1outlaw wrote: »
    A..... Trucks with a 100K are subject to a large repair at any point. Trans takes a crap or??? Its all makes and models..... We are hard on AC systems in Florida.....Nearly any AC repair will cost ya $1000+ and you just blew your "repair" money for the entire year.

Bullshiat!!!! I have worked in the automotive business all of my life and can confidently tell you that "Trucks with 100K" are not subject to a large repair at any point. I wish they were as I supply all FCA and Ford dealers with all of their OE parts.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,690 AG
    cadman wrote: »
    They were already sold to Fiat or renamed the company. When they went through that they tried to get out of the old warranties and were told not going to happen.

awesome! Blow that engine up every 2 yrs just to watch them drop a new one in it lol
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Major WaderMajor Wader Posts: 702 Officer
    cadman wrote: »
    Dodge's warranty is non-transferable, they count on most people trading in long before major problems happen. Mine is nine years old, 80,000 miles and one minor A.C. problem fixed under warranty. I doubt I have any real issues until I get to 150,000 miles or more.

Dodge / Ram warranty is transferable. I have done it 3 times in the last 6-8 years.

Clarification - none had the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty, just the regular warranties.
    Member #4013
    Canton, GA
  • Major WaderMajor Wader Posts: 702 Officer
    I usually buy 1-2 years old, through an auto broker that I trust. Generally I pay 60-70% of what a new one costs, and it's not hard at all to get low financing rates and drive on somebody else's money.
    Member #4013
    Canton, GA
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 5,530 Admiral
    I buy new vehicles and try to keep them for 10 years, I normally always have two vehicles so its somewhat easy to get to the 10 year mark. One is for commuting and the other for recreational use and weekends. With having two vehicles its pretty easy to make it to the 10 year mark.

However, when I retire there will be no need for the extra vehicle so the plan would be to buy a nice new truck and plan on having it for at least ten years. No payments!
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,082 AG
    Bullshiat!!!! I have worked in the automotive business all of my life and can confidently tell you that "Trucks with 100K" are not subject to a large repair at any point. I wish they were as I supply all FCA and Ford dealers with all of their OE parts.

Agree. I have 3 trucks driving daily. All 7.3's. 260k, 240k and 310k. All have original transmissions. These are 20k mile a year trucks. Buy right, service and drive.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 605 Officer
    You will want reliability in your "last" truck, not a headache.
    http://www.laurabuickgmc.com/

I did my due diligence, called and got out the door price w/ sales tax in writing.
    Flew out and drove home. 20% off MSRP.

Great Experience.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • Lineman North FloridaLineman North Florida Posts: 314 Deckhand
    I've never even heard of manufacturer offering a bumper to bumper lifetime warranty, it must be awful rare or most everyone would insist on getting it.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 6,495 Admiral
    $27 K seems to be about the Break line price for a low miles decent truck. Ford F 150/250 .
    Like AC Man I just want a basic truck, Rubber mats and a single CD player in the dash , Cruise , Elec. windows.
    But I got to have 4 doors / full cab
    I run 2 Ford vans now , both at 100 K miles. Figure on a full brake , caliper job , Tune up , Tires..that's about all I've had to do at 100K.
    5 grand covered both of them and the repairs are good for another 100 K miles warranty.
    I'm going with a Lightly used 25 K miles F..whatever Truck and let SS make my 18 Grand worth of payments with 10 K down.

See any problems here ?
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,080 Officer

I have worked for a independent automotive repair shop for 22 years..I work on ALL makes and models!! I assure you they are all subject to large repairs over a 100K.....I did not state EVERY vehicle! But its the reality of it.....Hell i have put evaporators in dodges at 50K miles and thats all chrysler products..... That repair will push $1500 alone.
    Jason :USA