Retirement Truck..

Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 6,495 Admiral
Maybe my last one.
I'm gonna be slowing down at work here in a year or so , don't want any payments of any kind other that Brown Whisky .Maybe a Hooker on my Birthday..
Plan A . buy a Truck with maybe 30 K miles on it for around 28 Grand and repairs will be minimal for quite a while.
as I'm only putting 6 Thousand miles a year on my current Ford Chalet , Fancy , Dancy Van
But I will have to come up with 10 or so , Down payment and make payments , or sell a piece of Property that is growing in value quite nicely.

Plan B ..Buy a truck that's 10 years old , maybe 10000K miles for 12 / 14 Grand and just figure on putting a Grand a year into it for upkeep. Paid Cash and no payments ever other than Maintence that I've set aside a Grand a year anyways.

Plan C . I start collecting Social Security in 2 months. Buy a new Truck and keep working a bit ( I'll most likely work some anyways ). Let Social Security make the payments on my new Truck , Plus I can write the new Truck off on my work vehicle taxes and not really use it, just keep using my work Van and say the Mileage is going on my new Truck

Savings initial are 16 Grand or so on plan B
I am debt free and I Hate the thought of making payments again.

What say you..?
Killin and Grillin :grin

Replies

• JKPJKP Posts: 2,968 Captain
    Cash is king. In retirement you should be allergic to interest payments.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 8,183 Admiral
    c
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • gmiller0737gmiller0737 Posts: 649 Officer
    Either A or C Option B will eventually need to be replaced & down the road You may be less able to replace it financialy.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 4,951 Captain
    If I was cutting back on the cost of a truck I would buy new or as new as you want to spend with out all the options. Best bang for the buck. My F 350 crew cab 4x4 long bed diesel was 65k my service manager has the same truck except it is a gasser without all the options for 42k. The options is where you get killed on price. We drive 25k miles a year. Can't afford to drive a clunker and the repair bills. On the other hand low miles changes every thing. Just make sure it is a Ford Super duty. ☺
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 5,556 Admiral
    I would say plan A, a good used low mileage truck. If you are only going to use it 6k miles a yr. The trucks last around 150k miles these days before they start costing a lot on upkeep. So you could run it for 20 yrs @ 6k miles a yr.
    stc1993 wrote: »
    I would say plan A, a good used low mileage truck. If you are only going to use it 6k miles a yr. The trucks last around 150k miles these days before they start costing a lot on upkeep. So you could run it for 20 yrs @ 6k miles a yr.
    :thumbsup
    AC Man wrote: »
    ��

if he was only going to use it 6k miles a yr. 20 yrs. would only be 120k miles. I think, I hope my math ain't got that bad.
    if he was only going to use it 6k miles a yr. 20 yrs. would only be 120k miles. I think, I hope my math ain't got that bad.

Lol. I was a little slow in my reply. See previouse post.
    LOL, all I saw was question marks.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 6,495 Admiral
    Either A or C Option B will eventually need to be replaced & down the road You may be less able to replace it financialy.

YEA , I don't want to be the Old Guy with a pos Truck either.
    A 20 year old Truck is still a 20 Year old Truck..

Personally I lean towards A.
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    If you can qualify for a rate of 3% or less then that is buying a truck using someone else's money. Why would you not do that?
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,679 AG
    C
    Vote for the other candidate
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 6,495 Admiral
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    C

Yea , That's what I really would like to do ..but I'm not a Showroom new Anything.
    New Trucks are , Well I saw a F150 for 66 Grand the other day..WTH..
    LOL, all I saw was question marks.

That's what happens when you try to post a emoticon from your phone instead of the forum sometimes????
  • IndigoIndigo Posts: 969 Officer
    A New 2017 Chevy reg cab standard bed work truck runs low to mid 20's this time of year.
    www.bomninchevrolet.com

You sound like you lean towards the blue oval,
    same configuration is 28 to 30K+ for a new 2017.
    An f150 with a chrome grill starts at 40K?
    Trucks have gotten outrageously priced these days. They need to quit adding all the BS that hardly no one uses & bring the prices back down some.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Big price difference between a Ford XL and a XLT. Most XL models have everything you need and several grand cheaper. Avoid the Lariat, Platinum, Kings Ranch and Raptor. Nothing but over priced options that will need replacement/repair later.
    Look for a lease buy back, 2-3 years old and they still has a lot of warranty left.
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 27,131 AG
    I bought my last truck 9 years ago. Dodge offered the lifetime warranty and I took it knowing I will keep it forever, just follow the maintenance schedule, keep receipts, and let the warranty handle the big problems.

Mini Mart Magnate

• Buford CletusBuford Cletus Posts: 1,746 Captain
    cadman wrote: »
    I bought my last truck 9 years ago. Dodge offered the lifetime warranty and I took it knowing I will keep it forever, just follow the maintenance schedule, keep receipts, and let the warranty handle the big problems.

Cad what does that Lifetime Warranty cover? Is it bumper to bumper or just the powertrain?
    Cad what does that Lifetime Warranty cover? Is it bumper to bumper or just the powertrain?

It is bumper to bumper. It was a sale they had offering that plus $6000 or so in rebates. It was back when gas was over $4 a gallon and trucks were just sitting on the lots. I was originally looking at a Ford, but the Dodge was $5000 less and had the warranty.

Keeping up the service schedule ain't cheap though.

Mini Mart Magnate

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,679 AG
    A coworker has a 1988 GMC sierra with 327k miles on it. I've seen trucks go for a long loooong time. I've got 78k on my 2012 and i plan on putting 200k on the dash. I'd spend 10-15k on a truck and just make sure you have an honest mechanic.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,285 Admiral
    D. Wait a few months. Drive to Houston and buy one cheap. Put new carpet and seats, and you're good to go.
    23895.gif
  • The VilleThe Ville Posts: 457 Deckhand
    cadman wrote: »

I have a friend who has the same deal, I don't know how you can beat that?
    It's not my job to provide your education look it up yourself!
  • The VilleThe Ville Posts: 457 Deckhand
    YEA , I don't want to be the Old Guy with a pos Truck either.
    A 20 year old Truck is still a 20 Year old Truck..

Personally I lean towards A.

As long as it can get you to buy more grits what else can you ask for......Yea I know I'm gonna pay for that.....
    It's not my job to provide your education look it up yourself!
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 8,183 Admiral
    The last F-150 I bought was a fleet truck. 2007

It had everything I needed and not one thing that I didn't.

The only chrome was the F-150 insignia on the side.

V-8 motor. The small one.

Rubber floor mats. (Which I much prefer)

Vinyl seats. Cushions are cheap and comfortable.

Automatic. Air. Power windows, brakes, steering.

Air Conditioned.

Tow package.

Limited Slip Differential.

AM/FM radio.

Cigarette lighter.

Sun visors.

Ran good and sold it for half of what I paid. It had 90K miles on it.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
    The Ville wrote: »
    I have a friend who has the same deal, I don't know how you can beat that?

Buy a truck that doesn't need the warranty?
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,679 AG
    Buy a truck that doesn't need the warranty?

I don't know any truck that will last forever without needing something. But I was wondering if Chrysler is sold will they honor those warranties, i kind of doubt it.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,080 Officer
    A..... Trucks with a 100K are subject to a large repair at any point. Trans takes a crap or??? Its all makes and models..... We are hard on AC systems in Florida.....Nearly any AC repair will cost ya $1000+ and you just blew your "repair" money for the entire year.
    Jason :USA
    Generally there are 2 kinds of manufacturers that will offer a "Lifetime Warranty".

There is the manufacturer that has his product down to a science and knows when or if it will fail and offers you the lifetime warranty knowing that he will rarely have to live up to it.

Then there is the manufacturer that produces a **** product and offers you a lifetime warranty in order to convince you of how great it is.
    I don't know any truck that will last forever without needing something. But I was wondering if Chrysler is sold will they honor those warranties, i kind of doubt it.

They were already sold to Fiat or renamed the company. When they went through that they tried to get out of the old warranties and were told not going to happen.

Mini Mart Magnate