Skip to main content
Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Lemon Bay Fishing

I fished the area( Lemon Bay) last year and did not do to well. I asked some other people that were fishing and they told me that the red tide had things messed up. I know nothing about the red tide, all we caught were some catfish and saw a lot of dead fish floating. I well be coming back to the same area( we like the area and the people) and give it another try. I mainly want to fish for redfish and keeper snook. Would really like to get the wife on some nice fish. I'm open to any advice on any tips to help. We will be coming down around to last of September, beginning of October. I will be fishing out of a 21 ft. center console. Thought about hiring a guide for a day to get advice and tips, anyone know a good guide in the area that would share some info. on the area ? Thanks for any advice or helpful tips.

Replies

• SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Senior Member Maitland, Fl. / Englewood Fl.Posts: 1,390 Officer
    Google "Stump Pass Marina" they list guides on their web-site.
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Senior Member Posts: 2,575 Captain
    Beetle,
    The best advice that i can give is to visit a local bait/tackle shop.
    Jim at Fishermans Edge tackle and bait shop is a good place to start.
    He's on the Placida Rd.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Senior Member Englewood, FLPosts: 3,237 Captain
    Jim is great. No-nonsense... tells it like it is.
    When do you want to go? I know a few good guides in the area (not me... I'm tarpon only).
    Anton Barrington is a great guide in the Lemon Bay/Placida area. Super laid back, nice guy. 941-628-6911
    Tell him I recommended him to you.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • beetlebaileybeetlebailey Junior Member Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the advice. I will be coming down sometime towards the end of September.
  • Novice anglerNovice angler Junior Member Posts: 31 Deckhand
    If you want to try the tarpon fishery, I highly recommend kmagnuss at crooked rod charters. My brother and I have each fished with him on separate occasions and will definitely go again.
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Senior Member Cape Coral FlPosts: 8,355 Admiral
    Fish elsewhere.
    Lemon is a tough place to fish unless you spend a lot of time there.
  • rehartlinerehartline Senior Member Orlando, FlPosts: 814 Officer
    Red tide is as about as bad as it gets for killing the fishing and the area really got clobbered. Usually once it clears out for a few weeks everything will return to normal. We fish the Lemn Bay Area a couple of times a year and plan to be there around the same time you are for a long weekend. It takes time to find the spots around there, they're not always as obvious as you would think. But we have caught a good assortment of fish over the last few years. If you don't have the time to go find the spots, hook up with one of the local guides as others have suggested. This year might be a little different now that the inlet has been dredged. It will be interesting to see if it affects the fishing.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Senior Member Englewood, FLPosts: 3,237 Captain
    The only thing the dredging of stump pass has affected is that there's a small rock jetty on it which holds some snook now... otherwise you'd never know anything was done.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Senior Member Posts: 2,575 Captain
    That rock jetty (groin) should prove to be a good spot for fishing. Hopefully it'll keep the pass from filling in.
    It'll take a while for the dredged areas to come back to normal.