Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

GPS map card

AMobleyAMobley Senior MemberNorth FloridaPosts: 202 Deckhand
good evening fellas. just bought a new Simrad go5. the basemap is horrible. what all are you guys using for our area? i was told hotmaps cuts off at pepperfish.

looking into florida marine tracks.

any suggestions?

Replies

• Almost PerfectAlmost Perfect Senior Member Bouncing between Leesburg and HomosassaPosts: 602 Officer
    I have Navionics Platinum+ in my Simrads.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Senior Member Ozello Fl.Posts: 13,085 AG
    I'm fixing to send my go7 back and tell them to stuff it.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Almost PerfectAlmost Perfect Senior Member Bouncing between Leesburg and HomosassaPosts: 602 Officer
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    I'm fixing to send my go7 back and tell them to stuff it.

I have NSS units and have never played around with a GO. What about it don't you like? The fact that they are touch only was a turn off to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
    I have NSS units and have never played around with a GO. What about it don't you like? The fact that they are touch only was a turn off to me.
    touch screen is impossible running in rough seas.
    Well, it turns on by itself, get's incredibly hot and by the time I discover that the touch screen won't work.
    Only thing that will work is the on/off, I have to turn it off and do a hard reset and then if I haven't saved my wp's and tracks to a card I lose them.
    Simrad said I needed to update, I did, still does it.
    Simrad said that newer electronics will turn on and off with a drop/rise in voltage, only things an the battery is motor,running lights, and Simrad. It does it sitting on the trailer.
    I also don't like that you can't filter out colors on the sonar, even though this isn't on an offshore boat I like to delete blue, green, and white, can't do it on the Simrad, if you want yellow, orange, and red you end up with a lot crap.
    This was my first time buying a dual use machine (all my electronics on my big boat are stand alone) and I was curious about the side scan( I do like that).
    I won't buy any Simrad when I update my big boat.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    I miss my stand alone components but the sonar croaked and I decided to do networked MFD's

Not sold on the touch screens. A few days ago I crossed in less than ideal conditions and the stream was......lets just say.........confused. The touch screens were pretty much useless. Luckily I didn't need to change anything but my wife wanted me to put the xm weather on one of them. I was spinning radar and told her just to look at it and the storms were 6 miles North of us and not a concern.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
  • F M TF M T Junior Member Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    touch screen is impossible running in rough seas.
    Well, it turns on by itself, get's incredibly hot and by the time I discover that the touch screen won't work.
    Only thing that will work is the on/off, I have to turn it off and do a hard reset and then if I haven't saved my wp's and tracks to a card I lose them.
    Simrad said I needed to update, I did, still does it.
    Simrad said that newer electronics will turn on and off with a drop/rise in voltage, only things an the battery is motor,running lights, and Simrad. It does it sitting on the trailer.
    I also don't like that you can't filter out colors on the sonar, even though this isn't on an offshore boat I like to delete blue, green, and white, can't do it on the Simrad, if you want yellow, orange, and red you end up with a lot crap.
    This was my first time buying a dual use machine (all my electronics on my big boat are stand alone) and I was curious about the side scan( I do like that).
    I won't buy any Simrad when I update my big boat.

We have lots of interest in the GO series because they are more affordable but I always recommend against buying one as the touch screen only is asking for trouble in my experience. If the screen gets wet in a rain or spray, the touch feature can go out temporarily right when you need it. For an unprotected open style boat, we always recommend the NSS series instead which is really great and the buttons and zoom knob along with touch screen capability allow you to deal with any conditions. With respect to your GO unit, I heard there were some reported to have the hot screen issue. Some people had a unit that got so hot they had a hard time touching it. I think many of these units were just bad units and they were replacing them if you called in with the problem. I'm not sure what the problem was exactly but it was clearly an issue and you are not the only one to report it. I would recommend you see if you can send yours in and switch it out for an NSS model. I am sure you will be more than pleased with one of those.
    F M T wrote: »
    We have lots of interest in the GO series because they are more affordable but I always recommend against buying one as the touch screen only is asking for trouble in my experience. If the screen gets wet in a rain or spray, the touch feature can go out temporarily right when you need it. For an unprotected open style boat, we always recommend the NSS series instead which is really great and the buttons and zoom knob along with touch screen capability allow you to deal with any conditions. With respect to your GO unit, I heard there were some reported to have the hot screen issue. Some people had a unit that got so hot they had a hard time touching it. I think many of these units were just bad units and they were replacing them if you called in with the problem. I'm not sure what the problem was exactly but it was clearly an issue and you are not the only one to report it. I would recommend you see if you can send yours in and switch it out for an NSS model. I am sure you will be more than pleased with one of those.
    I'm commercial, old King/Sitex/Koden guy, then Furuno on the big boats (grouper/stone crab).
    I bought the Simrad for an inshore boat with limited space for multiple units..
    I wanted the side scan as I have contract work with FWC for derelict trap removal..
    That is about the only thing that works with this unit.
    Not pleased with it at all.
    Am done with Simrad.
  • ckfrankckfrank Member Cedar KeyPosts: 62 Greenhorn
    I have only seen videos of Florida Marine Tracks, but it certainly looks like a really good product. When I replace, I will go with it.
  • captfields85captfields85 Member Charleston, SCPosts: 51 Greenhorn
    The thing I like best about using the nav platinum+ cards is the fact that it is an all in one package. Navigational charts, sonar charts (1ft contours fishing charts), satellite imagery overlay, 3D views, etc.... It can do it all and has me covered in all the situations that I need it for. I can go satellite overlay on land, land and shallows or land and sea. I run mine on raymarine just fine and I have a lot of buddies that run them on their simrad units just fine as well. Just a thought for you. Hope this helps.
    Dump001.png
    File_May_19_8_39_01_PM.jpg
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Senior Member Summerland Key / OrlandoPosts: 956 Officer
    The thing I like best about using the nav platinum+ cards is the fact that it is an all in one package. Navigational charts, sonar charts (1ft contours fishing charts), satellite imagery overlay, 3D views, etc.... It can do it all and has me covered in all the situations that I need it for. I can go satellite overlay on land, land and shallows or land and sea. I run mine on raymarine just fine and I have a lot of buddies that run them on their simrad units just fine as well. Just a thought for you. Hope this helps.
    Dump001.png
    File_May_19_8_39_01_PM.jpg

In SC, it probably works fine. However, for Florida and particularly for the inshore area around the big bend of FL ,based on the posts over the years people make about it, it is a poor choice. Actually trying to fish and run with it make for a stressful day on the water. The imagery and accuracy and detail of the map features is some of the very worst you will find anywhere in the market. Take a look at these actual examples from areas of North FL compared to something much better. The imagery and detail speaks for itself.

IMG_1747.jpg
    navionics

IMG_1746.jpg
    FMT

IMG_1754.jpg
    navionics

IMG_1753.jpg
    FMT

IMG_1755.jpg
    navionics

IMG_1756.jpg
    FMT

IMG_1757.jpg
    navionics

IMG_1758.jpg
    FMT

IMG_1759.jpg
    navionics

IMG_1760.jpg
    FMT

IMG_1761.jpg
    navionics

IMG_1762.jpg
    FMT
  • k-dogk-dog Senior Member Posts: 152 Deckhand
    Sure wish FMT worked on Garmin
  • nicknick Senior Member Crystal RiverPosts: 5,062 Admiral
    You forgot the huge dead zone north of yankeetown with navionics.

Absolutely worthless.

Good news is it covers the entire state...
  • relicshunterrelicshunter Senior Member BronsonPosts: 605 Officer
    It FMT going to work on Raymarine? I am looking to upgrade soon and need to make the right choice. Very thin budget
  • Jim311Jim311 Senior Member Gainesville, FLPosts: 4,961 Captain
    Can you elaborate on that dead zone? Is it missing sat imagery or what?
    Jim311 wrote: »
    Can you elaborate on that dead zone? Is it missing sat imagery or what?

I'll try to get a pic tomorrow. It's a chunk gone starting at lows bay then going south. Makes it a PITA since you have to shift from satellite overlay to regular charging .
  • Intl Marine BrianIntl Marine Brian Junior Member Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Plenty of people are using touch screens and are not experiencing what is being discussed. The screens are all a long way from where they were even just 5 years ago. For the most part, when you are running in the rough you will set up the chart and fishfinder/ depth and be steering and on the throttle/s, you will not be reaching up and making adjustments and tweaks. If we can help in any way feel free to reach out.
  • Skinny RunningSkinny Running Member New Symrna / Tarpon SpringsPosts: 73 Greenhorn
    Plenty of people are using touch screens and are not experiencing what is being discussed. The screens are all a long way from where they were even just 5 years ago. For the most part, when you are running in the rough you will set up the chart and fishfinder/ depth and be steering and on the throttle/s, you will not be reaching up and making adjustments and tweaks. If we can help in any way feel free to reach out.

That is a very presumptuous statement. Plenty of of people are using touch screens and are experiencing what is being discussed. Your inference is not true at all for me and plenty of others. I run all the time in water 10' in less and if its choppy, using a touch screen only sucks. Try to edit a waypoint or do lots of different things with one while your moving even in a mild chop while on a skiff it is nearly impossible with a touch screen only unit. If the screen is wet on a rainy day, it's really a challenge to get it to do what you want when you want. You often have to stop the boat to enter data in those conditions. I had to take my 2016 GO model off the boat and replace it with a machine that has buttons.

As far as Yankeetown area, i agree that Navionics really is useless there and virtually all of the big bend in FL among other areas. You can't navigate with it until you are way out in deep water or risk destroying your boat. If you buy it thinking its going to help you get around much away from a primary marked deep channel or scout nice fishing spots or pot holes etc, you are sure to be disappointed. I hope you are not advising buyers otherwise if they ask because that would not be the truth.
    I'll feel free to reach out, Simrad GO 7 is junk.

Pure junk IMO.
    I'll feel free to reach out, Simrad GO 7 is junk.

Pure junk IMO.

My 3rd unit since January will be here tomorrow:rotflmao