If a caught a hard head catfish and I was after tarpon,I thought
a hard head was a great tarpon bait.But was fishing in another boat
and we caught a sail cat and he starting filleting out the catfish.When
I told him I only used the hard heads,he said a sail cat was much
better.
Which is better or no different?

Replies

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,474 Admiral
    On an Incoming New Moon High I've always used Sail Cat..When the Tide starts dropping , about half way I use a flathead on the bottom and a Sailcat Fillet on the left Rigger waving in the current...Hope this helps..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • BobberBobber Posts: 943 Officer
    I've used both and can't say there's a meows bit of difference as a bottom bait. But my best results have been with half of a fresh lady.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,423 Captain
    We occasionally use cats (of both kinds) as live baits.... They work great in hot weather conditions but have to be on the small side (no bigger than 7"...). We snap their barbs off and fish them just the way you'd fish a live mullet and everything eats them. In cold weather, winter conditions they'll just get ignored..... One of the big pluses when using an ordinary hard head catfish is that they're amazingly durable and seem to stay kicking no matter what happens to them. We've had big tarpon eat them, get hooked up and fight the fish - then it comes un-buttoned - and the catfish is no worse for the encounter.... Another plus is the noise they make... De-barb one and drop it in your livewell and you can hear it grunting from the other end of the skiff....

Remember, though, they have to be small -bigger ones will only draw sharks (or jewfish - but that's another deal entirely...).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,614 AG
    Just remember if you get finned to rub some catfish slime on the wound.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    One of my anglers dropped a small hard head catfish next to river bank today and it barely touched bottom when a fifty pound jewfish just hammered it. It took us to the cleaners.... Found myself wishing that we had a few more in the livewell.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    That's good eatin size..:grin
    I've already spoken up in open session in front of the FWC about jewfish -that was a few years ago, and I'll do it again when the workshop is held near me in October...

Yes, they need to have the protections removed - no commercial take ever again (since that's what nearly wiped them out years ago - and they only brought fifty cents a pound back then....). Biologists to set a slot size and a careful bag limit for what the specie can handle... No I'm not sympathetic to anyone that says the big fish ought to be killed since they're the reason that the goliath grouper has made such a comeback... Given that they're protected both by Florida and the feds I suspect it will be an uphill battle all the way. The feds never "un-protect" anything unless a judge forces them to....

and for the umpteenth time... "jewfish" was never a slur -no matter what the nice folks up north who've only seen them in aquariums might think... If they had to re-name the species (without asking anyone who knew about them...) a much better name would have been "mangrove grouper" since that's what old timers in the 'glades always called them....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    I don't care if they ever lift the Reg's..of course I lived in Chokoloskee for 9 years..:grin
    If I was a Guide I'd be raising heck as well. What a great inshore fishery for you guys.