Redbone fishing rods

Any thoughts on Redbone inshore fishing rods? 8' medium heavy for beach/wade fishing south west Florida?

Replies

• KortsmanKortsman Posts: 266 Deckhand
    That's a good tarpon rod, but a little much for normal reds/snook/beach fishing. You'll get tired of casting that thing after a while.

You'll be good with a 7' medium rod with a 3000/4000 series reel of your choice. You can fish all day/night with this setup.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,111 Captain
    Kortsman wrote: »
    That's a good tarpon rod, but a little much for normal reds/snook/beach fishing. You'll get tired of casting that thing after a while.

You'll be good with a 7' medium rod with a 3000/4000 series reel of your choice. You can fish all day/night with this setup.

Agreed with Kort. I have both of those rods but in 7'6". I wouldn't use the med/hvy for tarpon over 50 lbs though... and even that would be a stretch around structure.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • sixstring09sixstring09 Posts: 58 Greenhorn
    I have a Redbone spinning rod and really like it. I can feel what's going on at the end of the line.
  • Blerb340Blerb340 Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Thanks for sharing. Very helpful information
  • GatorInPISoundGatorInPISound Posts: 543 Officer
    Ive used Redbone in the past and its a pretty good rod for the money. I found the guides to be a little problem but not so much of one to keep me from using it. Good backbone for fighting reds and snook. I upgraded my gear to gloomis and st. croix now and for me its truly more about the reel you use more so than the rods....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Trust in the LORD and receive HIS many blessings....
  • Blerb340Blerb340 Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Thank you!
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 12,251 AG
    I'd be careful of the heavier Redbones. It's been a few years, but I had three break on my boat in rapid succession -- all different people fighting adult tarpon.

The lighter rods are not bad, but I prefer several brands over them -- falcon, all-star, fenwick, & star to name a few. But I would be careful of their heavier rods unless they have addressed the breaking issue.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,111 Captain
    To compliment what tarponator mentioned... I have a Redbone 7'6" XH as an adult tarpon rod for throwing large artificials paired with a Spheros SW 8000... every dang time I hook a tarpon over 80 lbs I swear it's going to break the rod. It hasn't yet... but I'll take my tried and true Star Delux or Hand Crafted over the Redbone every time if I had the choice.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 12,251 AG
    That's the one. XH.