Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

8/20/17 Another hot day

Jim311Jim311 Senior MemberGainesville, FLPosts: 4,961 Captain
Adam met me and Anna at the boat ramp and we took my newly repaired boat out to try and see what we could find. The tarpon were gone from where I saw them 2 weeks ago which was kind of a bummer but not terribly surprising. The tide was surprisingly low, had to make sort of a skinny run to the creeks. Hooked up a 22 inch trout right away. Had a red shake loose soon after. Landed a flounder. Adam had to be back at the ramp at around 11 so we were working with a pretty limited amount of time. Made a run to another creek. Hooked a catfish on a mirrodine. Walked the bank to a small creek I'd never fished before. Hooked a lower slot red. Slam complete.

s0McP2Al.jpg

Tide coming in good now, worked further up into skinny water, banging trolling motor and dragging skeg. Found probably half a dozen mid slot reds in there on topwater, dines, and flukes.

bJjUulAl.jpg

Water still tanic but not muddy. Cooler than it should be this time of year due to lots of fresh water. Bite was still steady when we had to head back to the ramp to drop Adam off. Decided to look for tripletail since it was GLASS calm out there, zero wind whatsoever. Lots of people out there looking for trips. Found one along a grass line that wouldn't eat. Picked up a bunch of floating trash and plastic. Got too hot and headed back to the ramp. Wish I could have got a TT to turn it into a true mixed bag but honestly didn't feel like working very hard for them it was so hot. Solid day, fishing is good right now. Get out there.

lWydOLpl.jpg

Replies