Favorite Summer Dolphin Tactics

Lets hear everyone's favorite dolphin lures, bait, depth, and overall tactics. I'm not new to this kind of fishing but always would like to hear some input.

Replies

• roweryborowerybo Posts: 2,091 Officer
    right now, trolling and run N gun farther offshore. You need to find floating debree with bait be it weeds or something else. I mix my spread between 2 or 3 ballyhoo and 2 lures that way I cover all sizes for both large and small dolphin with 5 or 6 lines. I will also always have a livie or pitch bait hooked up (not just hook on the rod) so that I can just grab the rod and pitch it rather than have to bait it. As far as lures, I use either ilander lures or C&H skirts with hoos on the outriggers, 1 daisy chain, and another artificial as well as one more flatline hoo (naked or skirted). Constantly adapt to the conditions, small bait = small lures and so forth. On the downrigger I run either a split tail mullet or horse ballyhoo.
  • JesseburzJesseburz Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Sounds good thanks
  • Square GrouperSquare Grouper Posts: 120 Deckhand
    Here's what worked for me Friday:

Load up on live bait. Head east. Hit every rip and edge/weed line you find. Troll Ballyhoo to cover ground. Work out to 1000', find nothing but great weed patches and rips/temp breaks that you troll rigged baits on and drift live baits on. Work your way back in the same way, only to get into dirty green water in 90' and find the dolphin. HAHA!
  • StuStu Posts: 165 Deckhand
    frinstance...
    IMG_3294.jpg?t=1308341573
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=259&dateline=1339846506 IMG_3256copy3.jpg?t=1307698210
    EdgeWater 185CC / ETEC 150
  • fish in the boxfish in the box Posts: 68 Deckhand
    Locate the fish and throw anything moving at them 9 out of 10 they will bite, done!