Home Egret Boats

Tampa Owners...looking for a ride.

CaptainRobCaptainRob Posts: 60 Greenhorn
Any 167 owners in the Tampa area willing to help me with a wet test? I have been on the 189, but never on the 167 and am thinking the smaller profile may fit my needs best. I am willing to pay for gas and accommodate your schedule. Just really need to see how the boat performs on the water.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob
189 Egret

Replies

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    CaptainRob wrote: »
    Any 167 owners in the Tampa area willing to help me with a wet test? I have been on the 189, but never on the 167 and am thinking the smaller profile may fit my needs best. I am willing to pay for gas and accommodate your schedule. Just really need to see how the boat performs on the water.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

The boat you have now is a technical poling skiff. If you want to pole then you already have the boat for that. The only thing the 16 does better than the 18 is poling. Buy the 18, you'll never look back.
  • CaptainRobCaptainRob Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    Saltwater Junkie, the 18 is preferable but I am concerned with a couple things....1 being price and 2 being that the 18 may not fit in my garage. IF I can find an 18 that is in good condition (relatively low hours and maintained well) and within price range then I would absolutely be interested. Looking through this forum and at some of the current boats available (boattrader) it seems even the used Egret market has gained some value in recent years. If I recall correctly, I looked at a used 1999 189 in 2006ish that was in tremendous shape that was well within my current range. Now, there are boats listed for significantly more that are in the same model year range as the boat in 2008.

Just making sure I do all my research now, so that when I sell my boat I am ready to move when the right deal comes along.
    189 Egret
  • DazDaz Posts: 108 Deckhand
    If you can't find a 167 ride up there, I'd be happy to take you for a spin in mine but it's a bit of a drive (between Englewood and Port Charlotte).
    Daz

Egret 167 c/K
    41' Island Packet cutter
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    CaptainRob wrote: »
    Saltwater Junkie, the 18 is preferable but I am concerned with a couple things....1 being price and 2 being that the 18 may not fit in my garage. IF I can find an 18 that is in good condition (relatively low hours and maintained well) and within price range then I would absolutely be interested. Looking through this forum and at some of the current boats available (boattrader) it seems even the used Egret market has gained some value in recent years. If I recall correctly, I looked at a used 1999 189 in 2006ish that was in tremendous shape that was well within my current range. Now, there are boats listed for significantly more that are in the same model year range as the boat in 2008.

Just making sure I do all my research now, so that when I sell my boat I am ready to move when the right deal comes along.

I think what you are seeing is that all new custom boats no brand in particular are priced based on the number of boats that they produce yearly. they don't have the volume, and therefore do not benefit from volume pricing on raw goods. Hence if those same boats were mass produced the cost per unit would drop. As would the cost of the used market.

But getting back to Egret. I believe that a used Egret with a new wiring harness and a new motor is as good as a new boat. You can't hurt the boat.

The catch for you on the 18 may be the trailer. So do you want to buy a boat and also buy a new trailer? Good luck!
    I think what you are seeing is that all new custom boats no brand in particular are priced based on the number of boats that they produce yearly. they don't have the volume, and therefore do not benefit from volume pricing on raw goods. Hence if those same boats were mass produced the cost per unit would drop. As would the cost of the used market.

But getting back to Egret. I believe that a used Egret with a new wiring harness and a new motor is as good as a new boat. You can't hurt the boat.

The catch for you on the 18 may be the trailer. So do you want to buy a boat and also buy a new trailer? Good luck!

I don't mind buying a new trailer if the price of the boat is right...but can't pay a premium for the boat and then have to tack on the price of a new trailer. I am willing to be patient and wait for the right deal, but as anyone who has bought used boats knows, when the right deal comes along you better have your money ready and be willing to jump.
    The 189 is definitely preferable, but the used market right now seems to dictate my budget is more in line with the 167.
    189 Egret
    Daz wrote: »
    If you can't find a 167 ride up there, I'd be happy to take you for a spin in mine but it's a bit of a drive (between Englewood and Port Charlotte).

DAZ, thanks for the offer. Let me see if I can find one a little closer to home. If not, then I will be in touch.
    189 Egret