Newbie Lure/hardbait question

Clearly I'm new to saltwater fishing. I'm going to be fishing the Venice Jetty and shore fishing from Stump Pass to Boca Grande. Looking for some suggestions for lures. I don't have a target species yet, just want to catch fish! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Real VReal V Posts: 465 Officer
    yozuri crystal minnow black/silver. snook, trout, tarpon and jacks. almost anything will bite it.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 3,126 Captain
    I defer to Real V, he is a superior fisherman compared to me, but I like gold spoons to survey new areas. It is easy to use and casts very well.
  • Blerb340Blerb340 Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Real V wrote: »
    yozuri crystal minnow black/silver. snook, trout, tarpon and jacks. almost anything will bite it.

Thank you. Are you referring to surface, suspended, or deep diving?
  • Real VReal V Posts: 465 Officer
    Blerb340 wrote: »
    Thank you. Are you referring to surface, suspended, or deep diving?

I myself prefer the floating 4" or 4.5". You can change the depth that it goes by angle of rod tip to water surface and speed. Most of the time fishing from shore the water is less then 8' deep. I also use blue/silver on overcast days.
    Thank you!
  • BZ06BZ06 Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Im following this thread since I am in the area. I just bought a 3.5 inch silver black yozuri and will be giving it a test run around some of the Venice inshore areas and Port Charlotte area first of Sept. How can we find out what fish is in season this time of year. . Im also new to the saltwater.
    Floridasportsman.com/fishing regulations
  • pretzelbpretzelb Posts: 112 Deckhand
    Real V is the "Real Deal", He knows his stuff... The few times I went out with him I learned a lot, especially Snook fishing with artificial's.

I will say that one of my favs is DOA shrimp (Gold/Rootbeer) and 1/2 oz white Swim Shad... 20-30 lb leader. Hope this helps.
  • SargasSargas Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    Hello, i fish in Sarasota and some productive lures there are a saltwater xrap in white for snook. if your fishing the jettie you might want one that dives a little deeper / has a bigger lip. the SpoolTek 6-9 inch is also a nice lure for the inlet as well as big top water lures
  • SargasSargas Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    that is very simular to that rapala diver, anything in this profile works well
  • mlangemlange Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    4-5" minnows in hard or soft catch anything anywhere. Plastic is more durable than wood especialy when dealing with toothy fish. I think the key is how much cover you are fishing for the type of hooks you are using.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 11,328 AG
    Blerb340 wrote: »
    Clearly I'm new to saltwater fishing. I'm going to be fishing the Venice Jetty and shore fishing from Stump Pass to Boca Grande. Looking for some suggestions for lures. I don't have a target species yet, just want to catch fish! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Forget the hardbaits. Learn to fish a jig.