Offshore from Sanibel in September

Considering towing over my World Cat towards the end of September. I have found the list of Lee County artificial reefs and would likely start there if I decide to go offshore. In general terms, what is around on the reefs that time of year? I would likely have two days offshore at most. How far offshore would I have to go to have a realistic chance at keeper grouper? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• mgilbertmgilbert Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    I would think you can find Red Grouper around 30 miles out in about 90 - 100 feet. Our wrecks are fished and dived regularly, so I only fish them at night for Mangrove Snapper. There is a decent amount of flat hard bottom around 30 miles out to the west and north west of Sanibel. You may need to drift/look around to find your spot, but they are there, just scattered around.
  • firemedic1560firemedic1560 Posts: 138 Deckhand
    Thank you! I read that you got some ARS on your thread out in 160 feet. How far out is that? I carry 200 gallons of fuel so I'm sure I can get there and back. It's just a matter of whether I want to devote the time to run out there.