Some tarpon statistics for the year so far

I thought some of you might find this interesting.

On the year I've gone 92 for 372 on the tarpon. 24.7%
On ADULT tarpon (80 lbs or more) I've gone 20-60. 33.3%
Juvis are then 72/312. 23.1%
Juvis on fly 6/17. 35.3%

In this small sample you can see from my data that juvis are pretty darn hard to land... and the adults are landed at almost 50% more frequently than the juvis. The fly rod dominates on the juvis it seems... and honestly I'm terrible with the fly rod. I should have realistically landed over half those fish... My clients landed about 70% when they were fly fishing (but again a small sample size).

Anyway... thought a few of you might find those #'s interesting.

Oh... and nearly all the juvis were caught on artificials. The adults are about 50% artificials roughly.

-Mag
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters

Replies

• mlangemlange Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    how about daylight vs night? incoming vs outgoing?
    Kidding! those are some awesome numbers!
  • snipes27snipes27 Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    mlange wrote: »
    how about daylight vs night? incoming vs outgoing?
    Kidding! those are some awesome numbers!

and let's not forget the GPS numbers too!!! :rotflmao

That's incredible though Keith... Keep up the great work.
  • stpetebaitmanstpetebaitman Posts: 893 Officer
    That's great, its obvious you should be targeting the big ones more :)
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,870 Captain
    Haha true. Man I have so much fun with the 30 pounders on light tackle though.
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,808 Admiral
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    Haha true. Man I have so much fun with the 30 pounders on light tackle though.

I know many that prefer the small verses the big nasty's.
  • CapnAhabCapnAhab Posts: 250 Deckhand
    How awesome! I've enjoyed reading about your journey the last couple years chasing tarpon. Great job man!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days
    Glorious in all of Your ways
    The majesty the wonder and grace
    In the light of Your Name

Let hope rise and darkness tremble
    In Your holy light
    That every eye will see Jesus our God
    Great and mighty to be praised
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 11,328 AG
    Very interesting stats. I know you mostly throw lures/flies, but have you kept statistics between live bait, lures, and flies? I think you'll find a wide variance in landing percentages if you're anything like me.
    Tarponator wrote: »
    Very interesting stats. I know you mostly throw lures/flies, but have you kept statistics between live bait, lures, and flies? I think you'll find a wide variance in landing percentages if you're anything like me.

My stats on artificials vs live is very limited... I haven't been as good about keeping track of it. But I can definitely say that with live bait, especially free lined live bait... the landing ratio goes way up (so does the size of the fish).
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 3,120 Captain
    Do they just eventually toss the hook or wear through the leader? I don't tarpon fish, probably won't change that, but I am curious.
    Typically they toss the hook. I used to have the juvis wear through the leader a lot when I was using 30#, but since then I've upped to 40# on juvis and it rarely if ever happens. On the bigger fish using 80# they wear through it every once in awhile on a long fight, but usually if we lose a fish it's from getting the hook thrown.
  • SerotoninSerotonin Cape CoralPosts: 175 Deckhand
    Thanks for the stats. Glad to be part of them too
    Typically they toss the hook. I used to have the juvis wear through the leader a lot when I was using 30#, but since then I've upped to 40# on juvis and it rarely if ever happens. On the bigger fish using 80# they wear through it every once in awhile on a long fight, but usually if we lose a fish it's from getting the hook thrown.

Cool, thanks for the info. I assume it is like lady fish, albeit much larger. Mouths that are hard along with a bunch of head shaking.
    Yeah pretty much exactly like ladyfish except they jump straight out of the water... sometimes over 6' out of the water. It's pretty incredible.
    The intro of this video is a pretty good up close shot of how they jump. This was a mid sized tarpon... it's been a few months but if I remember right it was between 60-80 lbs.
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 437 Deckhand
    The intro of this video is a pretty good up close shot of how they jump. This was a mid sized tarpon... it's been a few months but if I remember right it was between 60-80 lbs.

Did you film that? If so, nice work.
    Yeah pretty much exactly like ladyfish except they jump straight out of the water... sometimes over 6' out of the water. It's pretty incredible.

I might have to try it some day. I was fishing cayo pass a few weeks ago and a tarpon was surface feeding, it had to be 150 lbs. It was pretty slick to watch.
    Did you film that? If so, nice work.
    Captain Ross.
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 437 Deckhand
    Captain Ross.

Viewers knew it wasn't me because there was no thumb in the way.
  • Montana1Montana1 Posts: 212 Officer
    With the Juvies caught on fly how many were hooked in the jaw vs in the tongue? I have caught a surprising number of juvies when they get my fly in their tongue. I still don't know how they don't pull the hook like that.
    Funny you mention that... I did hook one in the tongue that I can remember. Didn't really think anything of it except that it's never happened to me before.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 11,328 AG
    In my experience, tongue hooks only occur rarely (maybe 1 out of 25 or so). When they do, however, the hook really sticks (i.e. the hook is rarely thrown), but the issue is generally wearing through the leader (particularly with large fish, see comments below).

I have also noticed it happens more with smaller fish (maybe 1 of 10), but I suspect tongue hooked fish are not any more prevalent with the little guys than it is with larger fish, but because the smaller fish are less likely to wear through a leader, you land (and thus see) more of them.

It also happens more with flies, but also happens with baitbusters and used to happen occasionally when I used to fish heavily with J hooks. I've never tongue hooked a fish with a circle hook.