Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

JAX BCH 8/15 REPORT AND ADVICE

reddrumregaliareddrumregalia Junior MemberPosts: 35 Deckhand
Went out today for the low tide poling around I've been on a school of good redfish for two days now. Ive been hooking solid size 24 to 26 inch reds with a shrimp pattern fly and both times yesterday and today the hooks have pulled on both of them. These are my biggest redfish hooked on fly so its been pretty devastating finally connecting twice only to have the hooks pull. Its a small shank hook and i think i could go up in size but i also don't know if i should be putting more effort into my strip set on these bigger reds? Any ways had two eat today hooks pulled on both, but managed to get a little trout to the boat and lost a mystery fish due to pulled hook that was blowing up in main ICW channel in deeper water, i think either small jack or trout. BTW all pulled hooks were from that same shrimp pattern fly, i though about changing flys but when there eating it its hard for me too, maybe i should keep a hook file and keep them extra sharp?

IMG_5012.jpg
photo upload in public

Replies

• SUPER DSUPER D Senior Member OrlandoPosts: 737 Officer
    What size hook is on your Shrimp fly. I like a size #1 or #2 size hook on the Shrimp flies I use for Reds. Don't have many pulled hooks on Reds. Sharp is important, must be sharp. If fly is over dressed it can hurt hook ups.
  • reddrumregaliareddrumregalia Junior Member Posts: 35 Deckhand
    Thanks for the reply size #1, I'm gonna try #2.
  • FS ShelbyFS Shelby Senior Member Posts: 697 Moderator
    Great report, thanks for sharing with the FS forum community!

You will now be entered in our forum giveaway! Keep posting new reports until September 31st for more chances to win the fishing trip of a lifetime with Fishing Nosara in Costa Rica!

Check out http://www.floridasportsman.com/2017/06/12/win-costa-rica-fishing-adventure/ for more details.
  • Jared DJared D Senior Member Fernandina Beach Posts: 399 Deckhand
    SUPER D wrote: »
    What size hook is on your Shrimp fly. I like a size #1 or #2 size hook on the Shrimp flies I use for Reds. Don't have many pulled hooks on Reds. Sharp is important, must be sharp.

I agree with this. I use size 2 almost exclusively. I have had a few pulled fish, but if you have a sharp hook and get a good strip set, they almost all stay buttoned up.
    Great work on your fishing.

Do you tie your own flies?
  • reddrumregaliareddrumregalia Junior Member Posts: 35 Deckhand
    Jared D wrote: »
    I agree with this. I use size 2 almost exclusively. I have had a few pulled fish, but if you have a sharp hook and get a good strip set, they almost all stay buttoned up.
    Great work on your fishing.

Do you tie your own flies?

Not at the moment, been doing a lot of reading and research and planing on getting a starter vice and some tools and materials in the near future.