08/13/17 Offshore flat seas, NO TIDE!

Headed offshore this morning with Bill from Chicago. We pushed off the docks at Punta Rassa a few minutes after 6 and made the run out west in search of some fish will to eat. THe seas were absolutely gorgeous, and the winds light to non existent. perfect conditions?

First stop, first bait down, BIG HIT... Made it back to the hole. Broke off...

And then the bite died. Literally. We had little to no wind, and zero tidal flow. Zilch. My sounder was lit up like a christmas tree, but nothing wanted to cooperate and eat. We moved a few times, each spot looking so promising, but under delivering. I think we managed maybe 2 or 3 short red grouper before 1130 or so... We then went into a slow pick mode. The tide began to push just a bit, and the fish began to chew a little more.

Bill managed to box his two keeper grouper over the next drift. At this point we were over 50 miles from the lighthouse and decided to run back in to check out one of the previous spots that was lit up. Low and Behold, Bill hooks up to a nice chunky 28" Grouper which was safely released after the photo.

ffeXQ5M.jpg

We decided at this point to go ahead and make the run back towards the docks. As I was just getting ready to put the boat up on plane, I see a boat hauling tail right at me. Turned out to be two FWC officers who wanted to take a look at our catch. I happily obliged, and they checked and were out of our hair in no time. Im very happy to see them actually patrolling offshore. They said it was a new rig based out of Fish Tale Marina.

On our run back in, somewhere around 40 ft of water, I spotted some commotion on the surface a few hundred yards in front of me. I slowed down to get a better look, and it turned out to be a HUGE school of Redfish. The swam down low and away from us not to be seen again, but what a cool thing to see.
Similarly, a few minutes later we ran into a school of rays the size of a football field. Another really cool site.

BIll, although the fishing wasnt great today, I had a good time and look forward to a more active trip next time your down from the windy city.

Looking forward to a day off, then back to the grind.

Tight Lines!
www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral

Replies

• larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,608 Moderator
    Boy O boy that is the truth, no moving tide, the fish bite dies.
    Thanks for your report.
    larrywitt
  • FS ShelbyFS Shelby Posts: 687 Officer
    Great report, thanks for sharing with the FS forum community!

You will now be entered in our forum giveaway! Keep posting new reports until September 31st for more chances to win the fishing trip of a lifetime with Fishing Nosara in Costa Rica!

Check out http://www.floridasportsman.com/2017/06/12/win-costa-rica-fishing-adventure/ for more details.
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,029 Captain
    Tides don't affect the open Gulf.
    The effect of the tide only affects inshore waters.
  • bubbanorbubbanor Posts: 45 Greenhorn
    Scoutboat wrote: »

Obviously posted by someone that has never fished offshore

I wonder where all that water comes from that makes the depth change inshore and offshore:huh When there is no current flowing and your chum slick is going straight down. Take a break, eat lunch, snooze, when the current starts to flow it will be game on.
    larrywitt

I wonder where all that water comes from that makes the depth change inshore and offshore:huh When there is no current flowing and your chum slick is going straight down. Take a break, eat lunch, snooze, when the current starts to flow it will be game on.:fishing
    larrywitt
  • showstoppershowstopper Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    I guess that must not be the tide that pulls my buoy and hi-flyer under water in 180 ft depth. And Capt. Dan is right--no tide Sunday and no bite until it began to move a little around 4:30 p.m. after he was home. Still no real bite--just picking along.