8/8/17 Inshore Matlacha

Did a little fishing with my buddy Mike today on his 16 ft dolphin super skiff. We ran to an area in Matlacha neither of us had really spent any time in. Tides were low to start and incoming later in the day. We worked a mangrove shoreline with Mike throwing a jig head with shrimp, and I was using a zoom split tail fluke. Early on, we managed a few ladyfish, some small trout, then came a run of smaller snook. We landed a bluefish that weighed a few lbs which a porpoise moved in and devoured.
Mike hooked up with a decent fish which turned out to be a 29" redfish. Quick pic and swam away strong.
rVPNSC6.png

We continued working the shoreline picking away at some snook, with a few BIG girls that followed and swiped but missed my lure.

Once the water got pretty high into the mangroves, we picked a nice point with moving water and set up try and coerce some fish out of the trees. I cut some ladyfish up into chunks, and spread them out. One rod went on the bottom with cut ladyfish, and casted with my fluke for for a while. Mike continued with rgs success on the jig head and shrimp combo. He boated an undersized red at 17.5", follow by a 16", followed by a 22 inch keeper. I finally gave up on the fluke and went with a live shrimp. Low and behold, redfish on. Not Nora huge fish, but at 18.5" it will make a great dinner on the 1/2 she'll she'll on she'll on the grill.
With rhe sun now beating down and feeling like the Sahara, we called it an early day.
Always a pleasure fishing with you Mike and look forward to doing it again soon.

CkvUQR8.png
www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral

Replies

• FS ShelbyFS Shelby Posts: 687 Officer
    Great report, thanks for sharing with the FS forum community!

You will now be entered in our forum giveaway! Keep posting new reports until September 31st for more chances to win the fishing trip of a lifetime with Fishing Nosara in Costa Rica!

Check out http://www.floridasportsman.com/2017/06/12/win-costa-rica-fishing-adventure/ for more details.
  • bostonsox2904bostonsox2904 Posts: 113 Deckhand
    Good stuff thanks for the report. I'm from central Florida but was fishing in Matlacha this weekend. Lots of mullet pods getting busted in the main channels. Had an excellent day sunday using the DOA paddle tail on a jighead.
  • red_magnetred_magnet Posts: 498 Deckhand
    Nice looking fish!
    I owe it all to my Granny and Bill Dance....