Siesta Key Tarpon 8/7

drifted some crabs south of big pass in sarasota in ab the 10-15 foot range, got picked up by this bad boy. prob in the 120lb range. rigged a bobber, 5ft of 60lb fluro to a swivel & 8/0 circle hook. put up a great fight.

Replies

• AndrewFLAndrewFL Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    I like the detail in explaining your awesome catch, way to go :USA
  • farside88farside88 Posts: 494 Deckhand
    Thanks for the info. Nice catch!
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,071 Captain
    Good work! Pictures are tough... everything looks smaller than they really are in person... I'd guess closer to 80 lbs on that **** but like I said... pics make everything look smaller... except my belly.
    Great work though either way!

**EDIT TO ADD***
    Not trying to be a downer... heck I've caught some stud fish and looked at the pictures immediately afterwards only to have them look like just normal fish... so I could be WAY off in my estimate. That first picture angle is pretty much the worst possible angle you can take for tarpon... because your hands are the closest thing to the camera and that's what people will base their scale off of... so in that pic it looks like a 50-60 pounder... but it definitely isn't that small if you've experienced that angle before.
    The second picture is much better to help size it... it very well could be 100+. Best thing is to get a tape measure on a few in a row and it'll start to make sense. Heck I was off by nearly 30-50% on weight on my first few until I started measuring them.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • Icatcher22Icatcher22 Posts: 320 Deckhand
    Nice work in august. Did you see fish? Or just decide to drift that area?
  • cwhitesidecwhiteside Posts: 6 Greenhorn
  • FS ShelbyFS Shelby Posts: 687 Officer
    Great report, thanks for sharing with the FS forum community!

You will now be entered in our forum giveaway! Keep posting new reports until September 31st for more chances to win the fishing trip of a lifetime with Fishing Nosara in Costa Rica!

Check out http://www.floridasportsman.com/2017/06/12/win-costa-rica-fishing-adventure/ for more details.