Sanibel/Ding Darling

Hit the refuge right at 7 as the gates opened. Caught dink snook after dink snook at the culverts on live shrimp during the outgoing tide. Nothing big but quantity was outdoing quality. Juvenile tarpon started rolling and managed to go 3 for 3! Slowly dragging a DOA cal black and silver mullet pattern along the bottom was the ticket. Add in a couple mangrove snapper and it was a great morning. Left the refuge by 10 AM.

Replies

• NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 579 Officer
    Nice. I rarely go in there this time of year because of the bugs, but the fishing is great.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,247 Admiral
    Nice
  • Mangrove magnetMangrove magnet Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    Nice. I rarely go in there this time of year because of the bugs, but the fishing is great.

The bugs were terrible until around 9 when the sun got up high enough to drive them away. Definitely makes you think if it's worth going there.
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 579 Officer
    Yea go at 7:30 when the gates close, that place becomes hell on Earth at sunset. Thought for sure they were carrying me away on multiple occasions.
  • Seein'Tails93Seein'Tails93 Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Yeah those bugs are no joke over there. It always looks so fishy when i'm in the refuge but never have any luck. Only fished it a couple times, but will get out there more once I get a kayak. Sold my boat a while ago :banghead