Humminbird 698 HD Screen Freezes

SportsFanSportsFan Posts: 134 Deckhand
This is a fairly new unit, it's a KVD Series 698 HD and today it just turned off and reset itself. In fact it did it twice in about 30 mins. Later however it appeared to just freeze. The screen looked like a TV when the signal is lost. I tried to turn it off but it nothing happened. It stayed lit up. I fished for another hour or so and while heading back in the **** thing started working again and continued to work back to the boat ramp. Works at home in the garage too.
I checked for powers and grounds and all appears fine. So Humminbird whats up ?
Jules.
image-logo.png

Replies

• SportsFanSportsFan Posts: 134 Deckhand
    Spoke with Bernie at Humminbird and his suggestion was to run the power source direct with a 3 amp inline fuse.
    Currently everything goes through a fuse block. I will try this in a day or so. My only thought would be if there is a power source issue from say low voltage, why would it only affect the gps/fishfinder ?
    image-logo.png
  • JordanbassJordanbass SeatlePosts: 5 Greenhorn
    Have you found the cause?
    Hi, interestingly enough I had connected the 698 direct to the trolling motor battery and everything seemed to work perfect, many outings and no cutting off or freezes.  However, just this past week I installed a new XI3 gps trolling motor on the boat. The instructions states do not run any electronics off the TM batteries as this could cause interference with the gps remote. So I connected the power wire from the 698 to the pos bat pole where it feeds the fuse panel. The other day after being out a few hours the unit turned itself off. I was able to turn the unit back on again but only had it on for a few minutes as I was heading in. Nothing else on the boat did anything crazy. The digital Yamaha gauges all stayed functional. I think I am going to reconnect it like before back to the TM battery and see what happens. So an answer is I don't know what caused the issue in the first place. I can follow up though and give a heads up as to next time out. 
    image-logo.png
    Another update. So I switched back to connecting the unit to the pos side on one of the trolling motor batteries. I was out for approx 5 hrs and the screen did not cut off once. Also to note the trolling motor gps worked flawless. The only thing I did notice was the screen on the unit was hot. Not sure at all if that's normal but it was.  
    image-logo.png