Jet Ski Fishing

I live close to the Port of Palm Beach Inlet / Jupiter Inlet / Juno and I am always looking for anyone else who might be fishing from a jet ski or using one to get to remote islands/spots in the area. I just upgraded my jet ski with a rear mounted fishing rack that holds 6 polls and a 50 qt cooler. Two of the poll holders are angled for trolling as well. I haven't been going out of the inlet yet because I need to grab a flare gun, marine radio, and potentially a fish finder. Hoping to possibly go out fishing with anyone else who might fish from a ski or want's to share knowledge about it.

Also if you are reading this and have a boat i would be more than happy to scrub/clean/pay for gas to get on a boat and go out any time Fri-Sunday.

Replies

• copperzcopperz Posts: 103 Deckhand
    Here is some advice I can pass down from the handful of times I have been out on my ski.
    1) pack light. What are you going to do with 6 poles? Its just all going to get in the way and prevent you from fishing comfortably. Bring 1 -2 rods and assortment of lures/frozen bait. Bring a lure for top a lure of midwater and lure for bottom. Also bring a few vertical jigs. Also pack the obvious stuff (knife, leader, swivel etc...)

2) Bring a radio and any other safety equipment that you need.

3) fish finder will help but not required. You can download the free navianics app or garmin app and find reef data in your area on line. Add coordinates into app and use your phone. Mahi and Sails will be no fish finder required.

4) Crossing the inlet can be scary especially if you have a lot of stuff on your ski. So for first time take 1 pole and a vertical jig and head straight where people usually jig. You will probably get socked from the waves so make sure to have a cover on your reel.

I take my ski for quick trips. 1 hour or 2 hours, in and out. I bring 1 rod, utility tool, 3 jiggs, swivels, a rope for the fish i catch. I dont even bring a cooler. When drifting I hang them over the ski in the water. When underway i put them into the foot holds. Quick and nimble is the key.
  • padi1981padi1981 Orlando flPosts: 3 Greenhorn
    Hey there papaglitch send me a email. Im front orlando but i always going to stuart. I have radio gps finder but im looking a partner i dont wanna go by myself. [email protected]
  • Rosco62Rosco62 Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    I currently own a Yamaha suv that I fish off Jupiter feel free to pm me. 
  • Reel MullarkeyReel Mullarkey Posts: 1,840 Captain
    copperz said:
    Here is some advice I can pass down from the handful of times I have been out on my ski.
    1) pack light. What are you going to do with 6 poles? Its just all going to get in the way and prevent you from fishing comfortably. Bring 1 -2 rods and assortment of lures/frozen bait. Bring a lure for top a lure of midwater and lure for bottom. Also bring a few vertical jigs. Also pack the obvious stuff (knife, leader, swivel etc...)

2) Bring a radio and any other safety equipment that you need.

3) fish finder will help but not required. You can download the free navianics app or garmin app and find reef data in your area on line. Add coordinates into app and use your phone. Mahi and Sails will be no fish finder required.

4) Crossing the inlet can be scary especially if you have a lot of stuff on your ski. So for first time take 1 pole and a vertical jig and head straight where people usually jig. You will probably get socked from the waves so make sure to have a cover on your reel.

I take my ski for quick trips. 1 hour or 2 hours, in and out. I bring 1 rod, utility tool, 3 jiggs, swivels, a rope for the fish i catch. I dont even bring a cooler. When drifting I hang them over the ski in the water. When underway i put them into the foot holds. Quick and nimble is the key.
    This is perfect advice! My parents had jet skis when I was a kid. I learned how to fish on them but it was not easy. I did better with less but I was also fishing inshore. Just remember the KISS formula - Keep It Stupid Simple. The more stuff you take with you , the more stuff you potentially lose. 

There's a gut named Tony Eden or Boatronics that has done some really nice GPS/bottom finders on Jet skis. He's probably the only one that does it. There's a few hardcore Jet Ski fishing set ups up there. 
    Jonathan Mullarkey's
    SUPERCLEAN SERVICES
    Professional cleaning and restoration since 1999
    CARPETS - UPHOLSTERY - TILE - GROUT - MARBLE - TERRAZZO

CLEAN - POLISH - SEAL - RESTORE - PROTECT
    561-891-1236
    www.steamcleanjupiter.com