Skip to main content
Home Off Topic

Speaking of Camping - Motorhomes

cadmancadman Posts: 43,675 AG
I have thought about getting a small camper / motorhome when I retire to travel around in. But it seems like a bit of a pain with the septic draining, finding potable water sources, etc. I would assume if you traveled a bit, it would save money over hotel rooms. I am thinking this size, not a large one.

Anyone own a motorhome? Do you like it? Do you use it? Would you rather travel with it or use hotel rooms?

Former Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

Replies

• tagtag Posts: 9,788 Admiral
    It will save you money instead of getting a hotel room just like fishing from a boat will save you money over buying fish from the market. Owning a motorhome and enjoying it is more of a lifestyle thing.
  • Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,328 AG
    As tag said above, saving money on motel costs is a local joke.

However, that is a nice looking Class C motorhome.

Upon occasion I have rented a Class C or a Class A.

They have advantages of course but I prefer a regular trailer or a 5er since can leave
    it at a campground and use the tow vehicle to go into town for staples or explore the area.

Just my preference.

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,909 Moderator
    We just rented a Class A 30' rv in Las Vegas and toured the national parks for 2 weeks. Stayed in National Park campgrounds and private rv parks, and never had any trouble with pump out facilities or potable water. Some had the septic drains and water right at the sites, others had them near the office, but it was never a problem.
    FYI, it was about $200/day for the vehicle, and between $15 and $45/night for the sites.
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • hatcityhatcity Posts: 3,446 Captain
    many truck stops now have septic facilities for RV's
    course they aren't "truck stops" anymore
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
  • dolfanjoeydolfanjoey Posts: 1,174 Officer
    I had one for about 9 years. Never had a problem with water or sewer. Most campgrounds have them on your site so you hook it up the entire time you are there. We rarely used the shower or toilet. Most campgrounds have showers and bathrooms. Main reason I purchased it was I had small kids and I used it to drive to my house in Virginia. So it made the ride nicer. If I got tired I just pulled over in a rest stop for a few hours. But I also camped in it a few times a year and took it with me on away football games I would go to. Kids are older and a few moved out so I sold it this year because I wasn't using it enough.
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 13,570 AG
    nuevowavo wrote: »
    We just rented a Class A 30' rv in Las Vegas and toured the national parks for 2 weeks. Stayed in National Park campgrounds and private rv parks, and never had any trouble with pump out facilities or potable water. Some had the septic drains and water right at the sites, others had them near the office, but it was never a problem.
    FYI, it was about $200/day for the vehicle, and between $15 and $45/night for the sites.
    Room service??

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,909 Moderator
    Mango Man wrote: »
    Room service??

Renee
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 13,570 AG
    nuevowavo wrote: »
    Renee
    Lol...

We've talked about a camper. I think renting would be the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • Eddy dEddy d Posts: 292 Deckhand
    Private campgrounds can be expensive, depending on the area. Public campgrounds are usually under $50 a night. We camp 3-4 times a year. Some private, some public. Like most people, we use the public showers and restrooms instead of the camper. But we just did 6 days ON the beach in Ft Myers for $600. Try to find a condo or hotel on the beach for that price.
    Big Game Liquors.com :Glass
  • TripleXTripleX Posts: 1,772 Captain
    Cad,
    I currently own a travel trailer that I take the family out in quite often, going out this weekend!! As for the class "C" you have pictured, they are nice but the big question is, "How often are you going to use it" is always asked!! If you plan on taking several trips, especially out of state, I would say RV all the way! I've looked at upgrading to a Super "C" in the next year or two cause we plan on making more out of state trips, for now the TT will do!! My kids love to go camping so I don't even consider the "Hotel vs. RV" costs!!
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,299 Admiral
    I almost posted this the other day, have fun :wink

The Perfect Crash Indicator Is Flashing Red
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-07-30/perfect-crash-indicator-flashing-red

What’s the last big toy you buy when things have been good for a really long time and you already have all the other toys? An RV, of course. A dubious thing to own if you already have a house, but when the good times seem likely to roll on forever, why the hell not?

And what’s the first thing you sell when you lose your job and your stocks are tanking? That very same RV. Which makes new RV sales a useful indicator of our place in the business cycle.

Notice the mini-spike in the late 1990s and the major spike in mid-2000s, both of which were followed by corrections. Now note the mega-spike from 2010 and 2016.

And how are things going so far this year? Well, the space is on fire:

‘The RV space is on fire’: Millennials expected to push sales to record highs

(CNBC) – RV shipments are expected to surge to their highest level ever, according to a forecast from the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association.

It would be the industry’s eighth consecutive year of gains.

Thor Industries and Winnebago Industries posted huge growth in their most recent earnings report.

Those shipments are accelerating, and should grow even more next year, the group said. Sales in the first quarter rose 11.7 percent from 2016.

Much of the growth can be attributed to strong sales of trailers, smaller units that can be towed behind an SUV or minivan, which dominate the RV market. The industry also is drawing in new customers.

As the economy has strengthened since the Great Recession, and consumer confidence improved, sales have picked up, said Kevin Broom, director of media relations for RVIA.

Two of the major players in the industry, Thor Industries and Winnebago Industries, both manufacturers of RVs, reported huge growth in their most recent earnings report. Thor saw sales skyrocket 56.9 percent to $2.02 billion fromlast year. Winnebago’s surged 75.1 percent last quarter to $476.4 million.

Gerrick Johnson, an analyst at BMO Capital Markets, attributed much of that growth to acquisitions. Thor bought Jayco, then the No. 3 player in the industry, last June; Winnebago bought Grand Design in October.

Thor stock has experienced strong growth over the past year of almost 40 percent. Winnebago tells an even better story: Its shares are up 56 percent over the past 12 months.

“They’ve done massively well because they’ve made massively creative acquisitions,” said Johnson. “Wall Street didn’t realize how creative those deals were. Each quarter they came through. The RV space is on fire, and the demand metrics are quite positive.”
    What we have here is another classic short. During the past couple of recessions, RV stocks plunged as everyone came to their senses and stopped buying $60,000 motel rooms. Based on the above chart that’s a pretty good bet to repeat going forward. Let’s revisit this play in a couple of years.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Posts: 1,877 Captain
    You know that saying about the 2 best days of owning a boat??? Insert motor home.
    Jason :USA
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 7,311 Admiral
    I think I have said this before, but I'll say it again. The wife could care less what I buy without asking. Boat's motorcycles, cars, trucks, etc. But she said if I ever come home with a RV she is out of here. LOL. She said there is no way she is gonna cook and clean on vacation. Can't blame her. My parents had motor home, but I think the only time we used it was camping on our property near Suwanee till my dad built a cabin. As stated, biggest concern is if you use it enough.
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 1,112 Officer
    Bought my 2nd MH this spring. Lots of plus or minus. State campgrounds areusually good. I stayed on State Forest land the last 3 nights for nothing. I am in Watkins Glen now. Didn't knowabout the race. As some else said are you going to use it or keep it in the driveway. Left Florida on 7/5 and will be back mid Sept.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 30,006 AG
    I'd like to try renting sometime, but the chief says no.

I fished with a air boat guide on Okeechobee that had a 35' motor home. He would spend the winter in FL guiding on the lake, and in the spring he would head to Idaho and guide the rivers in the summer. I always thought that would be the life.
    Vote for the other candidate
    Sounds like the life, but I imagine it would get old after a while, and it would sit. If you have a travel plan, go for it.
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,987 AG
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    I'd like to try renting sometime, but the chief says no.

You should try to make him more happy and he may grant you some of your wishes.

Maybe wear something attractive and have a drink ready when he comes home from a hard day at work.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    I would rather have a slide in camper so I can tow the boat.
  • cadmancadman Posts: 43,675 AG
    mustang190 wrote: »
    I would rather have a slide in camper so I can tow the boat.

That was my thought with a small motorhome over a camper trailer, towing the boat.

It sounds like a boat, great if you use it a lot.

Former Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• surfmansurfman Posts: 6,017 Admiral
    I had a slide in camper once, it was huge too. Had a refrigerator that worked on 12v, gas or 110v, hot water heater, shower and toilet, stove and oven, slept 4 adults. I had an 8' bed truck and it stuck past the bed 3'. F250 extra cab, wheel base was 13' long, needed a football field to turn it around. Had a special extension made for it so I could tow my jon boat. I wouldn't tow anything heavier. You could pull the truck out from under it if you wanted to go somewhere, not too much of a hassle. It was an old 1965 model Avion, It was cool. Only kept it for a couple years though. You can find good motor homes with low miles all over the place. People buy them use them once then they sit and sit. But you will need new tires, belts and hoses usually.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • OnewolfOnewolf Posts: 657 Officer
    tag wrote: »
    It will save you money instead of getting a hotel room just like fishing from a boat will save you money over buying fish from the market.

:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao
    *** Tidewater 2100 Yamaha F150 ***
    *** Native Watercraft Magic 14.5 ***
    *** www.onewolf.org ***
  • phlatsphilphlatsphil Posts: 14,632 AG
    Indeed, it's a lifestyle choice that many enjoy. They must, it's a billion dollar industry.

It's not for me, though. While on VACATION, I'll take motel rooms with clean sheets and hot showers and restaurant food any day over preparing my own meals, making my own bed, and cleaning / draining my own crap. As for the cost, any modern comfortable SUV gets 12-18 mpg while most RVs get 5-12 mpg. Campgrounds cost $40-$80/night while most chain motels cost $80-120/night.

Another observation (by me) is that most motor homes/RVs/campers can be seen sitting idle 11 months a year. They get used for a couple weeks for vacations and occasional weekends. They are huge investments for what they actually provide.

But that's just me. I'm sure they provide much joy to millions.
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    I have a converted bread truck camper. 2000W Honda generator for AC and TV. Has a urinal inside, and an outdoor shower. Crap elsewhere. 2 beds. Cooler for food. Holds up to 4 dirtbikes too. No while driving, but will do 75 on highway.

Camper life is not for everyone though:
    23895.gif
  • robertgrantrobertgrant Posts: 88 Greenhorn
    Have 2 good friend with MH .
    First buys mid 90's class c .
    Just drove it across country with Wife,mother 2 kids.Started in Nashville all the way out to Cali and back.Average 6-7 MPG.
    He is as cheap as they come.Spends the night at Walmart or some truck stop so he doesn't have to pay camp fees.
    Spent 2800 on fuel in 2 wks .
    Says he could have stayed in 60 dollar a night hotels for about the same money,(yes cheap ,).

Another friend just bought a Aurstream Sprinter,just him and wife ,just traveling Florida
    But campgrounds are realatively cheap .
    He is loving it.Gets 20 mpg
    Cheap guy spent $7000 on class C
    Other one was 85k .
  • mjnmjn Posts: 1,577 Captain
    I like the idea of an extra medium size Class C . I need to be able to pull a boat and get it comfortably in and out of smaller ramps.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    surfman wrote: »
    I had a slide in camper once, it was huge too. Had a refrigerator that worked on 12v, gas or 110v, hot water heater, shower and toilet, stove and oven, slept 4 adults. I had an 8' bed truck and it stuck past the bed 3'. F250 extra cab, wheel base was 13' long, needed a football field to turn it around. Had a special extension made for it so I could tow my jon boat. I wouldn't tow anything heavier. You could pull the truck out from under it if you wanted to go somewhere, not too much of a hassle. It was an old 1965 model Avion, It was cool. Only kept it for a couple years though. You can find good motor homes with low miles all over the place. People buy them use them once then they sit and sit. But you will need new tires, belts and hoses usually.

They have come a long ways!:dance
    I saw one towing a 22' Skeeter bay boat today on I10. wish I could have talked to that guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz-KTgib7A8
    My Dad's parents were "airstreamers" they lived for Airstream rally's.This is their retired years from TN to California. My Moms parents had a truck camper and spent the winter in Clewiston. Both were happy,
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,340 AG
    I have an old Dodge exactly like this one and am looking for an old Alaskan camper (designed for 4x4 off road/no road use).

camper1.jpg
    camper4.jpg
  • ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,397 Captain
    If you aren't sure about it renting one for a week is a good plan. I've had a travel trailer for 10 years or so now and don't see myself being without some sort of camping trailer in the future. As others have said, it's a lifestyle and one that I very much enjoy. If you are not an outdoorsy sort then it's easy to make the case for staying in hotels as opposed to dropping tens of thousands of bucks on an item that depreciates like a rocket heading toward earth under full throttle.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 12,535 AG
    Fish Haid wrote: »
    I have a converted bread truck camper. 2000W Honda generator for AC and TV. Has a urinal inside, and an outdoor shower. Crap elsewhere. 2 beds. Cooler for food. Holds up to 4 dirtbikes too. No while driving, but will do 75 on highway.

Camper life is not for everyone though:

Great movie and we had a very similar trailer to live in for a bit as house was done. 1952 Alma 32 footer.

I have found there is no perfect motor home. I would probably opt out for a trailer set up, but would need a bigger truck. I have rented Class C models several times with no issue, but would want a good size one for traveling with wife and dogs for an extended period of time. Problem with that is getting into some places I would want to photograph. My brother recently bought a Class A bus you see traveling around with car in tow. Thing was beautiful, but when I asked him about price, he mentioned a $92,000 discount he got. LOL, well that took me out of that equation. Way to big anyway for the traveling we would do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield