Skip to main content
Home Off Topic

"Minimilist" camping ?

2»

Replies

• Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 4,995 Captain
    A while back, PBS ran a show about the history of recreational camping.

At one point they showed film of a "camping trip" from bygone days.

Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, Harvey Firestone and naturalist John Burroughs, went annually.

"The “Vagabonds” may have slept under the stars, but they were hardly “roughing it.” Edison’s mobile electric generator kept their campsites fully illuminated, and the men slept in personal tents embossed with their names. They traveled in a convoy of chauffeured Ford automobiles with an entourage of cooks and attendants. Among the 50-vehicle caravan on the 1919 camping trip was a specially designed kitchen car, which Burroughs called a “Waldorf-Astoria on wheels,” that featured a gasoline stove and a built-in refrigerator that stored everything from fresh eggs to rib-eye steaks. Inside the spacious dining tent, jacketed waiters placed bowls of food and pitchers of beverages on the lazy Susan that spun around the enormous round camp table capable of seating 20 people.

"Months after the death of Burroughs in March 1921, the remaining “Vagabonds” embarked on another extended camping trip, this time with their families in tow. (The Firestones even brought their butler.) At their campsite in western Maryland, the illustrious Americans were joined for the weekend by the new president of the United States, Warren Harding. The president brought along more than three dozen staff, including his Secret Service detail and even a player piano and wooden dancing platform. President Harding joined the men in riding horses and shooting rifles and pitched in to cut firewood and prepare dinner."
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 16,720 AG
    Nick Nikon wrote: »
    "The “Vagabonds” may have slept under the stars, but they were hardly “roughing it.”

But they didn't have a Picasso or a Matisse.

I personally take my Van Gogh when I camp.

Shortly after this movie was made Leslie Howard was murdered by the Luftwaffe. He was targeted because of his spy work and anti-**** movies.
    "Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
  • hotrailshotrails Posts: 440 Deckhand
    Wife and I did extensive travel camping on BMW Bike and Goldwing, some of the trailers you see them towing are actually Pop up campers, The Kwik Camp has Double bed, Bunk house has King with dressing area , over the years we had both models, they have false bottom to stow gear clothes. stay at KOA/Many RV parks they aso have a tent area pay a little a 11.00 high i think was 17.00 but you could have two or three on one site, lot of National Parks. Visited the Smokies to the Tetons and all in between, also cheaper to eat out than buy all goodies and cook at camp ground.
    Also added feature was parking always Up Front, cant take many camping trailers, 5th wheel trailer thru Galcier Nat'l Park Road to Rising Sun , rig to tall and to long (Overhangs and tight turns) So many Roads so little Time
  • PotholePothole Posts: 1,373 Officer
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady Posts: 5,282 Admiral
    Noeettica wrote: »
    Since the new season of "Naked and Afraid" starts tonight it got me thinking ;-)

Always thought that show was soft **** until I actually watched an episode - now I love it! Interesting how often the ones filled with bravado don't make it.

Back in the day 'minimalist' was called primitive camping. Meaning no potable water or other facilities and miles from paved roads. At one time the Ocala was home to several communes - a mix of mostly rich kids and felons. We used to go and visit - sitting around a campfire sipping home brew was great fun. Then we'd go 'home' to our 18' travel trailer with no refrigeration or sewer hook-up. lol The majority received some type of public assistance, they all knew when and where the cheese giveaways were. We didn't qualify, we had jobs.

For those of you who'd like to try primitive camping but have lady friends who are smarter than that - may I suggest Cumberland Island? The Greyfield Inn can accommodate the ladies and the fellas can do the 'pack it in, pack it out' camping. (there's a restroom or two - it can get pretty yucky otherwise)
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• hotrailshotrails Posts: 440 Deckhand
    Pothole, yes that is one of units,not sure what unit this is,how ever pull the cover off grab the strap pull quickly and walla get in before you get soaked when setting up in rain new unit runs about 3200 find good used ones for 1800 or less depending on model, spent several nights off to side at Flying J//Pilot/TA truck stops,showers for slight fee

Camp grounds Bath House full,line waiting Nah Grab all goodies and up the road some, at first Motel the Maids are cleaning room Pardon me,Here is $10.00 if you can skip a room but throw in couple towels we will be in and out quickly Hell use these two rooms here

Worked for us
  • BodineBodine Posts: 3,108 Captain
    Did camping when I was in the scouts, then did it again when my kids were in the scouts.
    Done with camping, give me a 5 star hotel with a fine restaurant.
    F the feds