Mangrove report and question

Been reading reports gathering info and finally headed out with my son to try and chum up some mangroves.

My son is 10 and kind of new to offshore. We decided to try GH reef. The night before I did a freezer clean out and chopped up a couple ziplock bags of pins, shrimp and mullet. We also netted a live well full of white bait before we headed out.

We anchored up and found some decent current. Started chumming and got a bunch of mackerel in the slick. Caught two and started seeing darker, thicker fish a little further back. Drifted back a live greenie and hooked up about a 16 inch mangrove! My son was fired up! Two or three other snapper followed the fish to the boat so I thought we were into them.

Then all of a sudden these mangroves were gone! Never saw them again!?!? We kept throwing handfuls of white bait and nothing but mackerel came around the rest of the trip.

So my question is...what the heck happened? What did we do wrong? Is this common with mangroves?

Thank you for any help on this.

Dodger

Replies

• 10kman10kman Posts: 443 Deckhand
    Yes,my guess is you threw out too much and they got there fill.I try to throw out enough
    to get their interest and less after that.The other theory is maybe they weren't they going
    to compete with the mackerel.
  • IdahojoeIdahojoe Posts: 51 Deckhand
    Finally someone posts about G-H and is catching.. Great news and good luck.
  • whipachawwhipachaw Posts: 505 Officer
    Mangrove snapper, or any snapper for that matter, are pretty smart. In high pressure areas, they will sometimes shut down after catching one or two. Drop down to smaller hooks and a looooooong fluorocarbon leader. I usually got with around 15 lb test but you can go lighter or heavier depending on conditions.
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,606 Moderator
    Sounds like you had a good trip with your son. Time a again the bite will just die, there is no one answer. Some of the above are very valid.
    Tide is a another, either bottom or top the bite may slow or stop. They can get wary, then we drift our bait way back 100 ft. or more, small hook, split shot and loose bail, just enough to get it to sink . Wind may have moved you off the hot bite. When the tide changes your chum is going in the opposite direction. So many variables.
    Thanks for your post.
    larrywitt