Skip to main content
Home General Freshwater Fishing

Miami peacocks and ****

I'm staying in Coral Springs for the weekend I was wondering if anyone could help me locate some peacock bass and small tarpon and maybe some snook in the canals around here down to Miami. Also what lures would you recommend?

Replies

• T - L U VT - L U V Posts: 187 Officer
    You can pretty much go to any Colbert pipe in most of these canals in Broward and find peacock bass in the heat of the day. I just throw a little shiny twitching lures or shiners Will do the trick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • saltygator11saltygator11 Posts: 137 Deckhand
    I'll be down that way next week as well. I went to Capt. Harry's and talked to and asked the same questions. Great advice given and suggestions along with it. I'll be making a stop there next week to pick up a few more lures to throw.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,770 Moderator
    I'll be down that way next week as well. I went to Capt. Harry's and talked to and asked the same questions. Great advice given and suggestions along with it. I'll be making a stop there next week to pick up a few more lures to throw.

^^this
    "You'll get your weather"
  • TeamBiteTheBaitTeamBiteTheBait Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Coral Springs is loaded with snakehead, pick up some hollow body frogs and spinnerbaits throw along the banks and get ready for some heart pounding thrills. Also if you can go while it's raining or just after you will have more success. Down in Miami most canals are stocked with peacocks use crappie jigs or Peahawks to get easier bites but shiners will be guaranteed fish. Good luck.
  • SizuperSizuper Posts: 293 Deckhand
    Hope you have better luck than I did. Last week I was fishing the Doral canals and threw 8 different kinds of lures that I've seen catch peacocks and bass before and soaked live shiners all day and didn't get a single peacock or largemouth. Despite seeing them in the water. Good number of 14"-17" largemouth, a few of that same size peas and one peacock had to be a 5-to-7 pounder. All just stared at my shiners and of course my lures as they went by. They'd go right up to the shiners and almost bump them with their noses and refuse to touch them. Never seen anything like it.

I was happy to clean up on jaguar guapote, since I'd never caught one of those before, along with sunfish and lots of cichlids, but the main quarry absolutely refused to eat. And it was on a great moon cycle too. Crazy.
  • Reel TeaseReel Tease Posts: 671 Officer
    386LINESIN
    If you want your best chance at catching Peacock bass or atleast in greater numbers I would head south. I personally travel down to the Kendall or Palmetto Bay area's. Get a bucket with some live shiners or some smaller profile hard or soft baits that resemble a small baitfish in our area. usually gold and black or silver and black.

However, you are in prime area for snake heads. have yet to catch one but thats where I would go If I wanted to catch a snake head.

Also I prized fish that not many talk about is the Sunshine Bass, its a hybrid: female white bass with a male striped bass. they are stocked in the Lake Idas chain in Delray Beach (closer to you then Kendall) as well as lake Osborne in WPB and they are aggressive like the peacock bass. use the same baits as you would for Peacocks. Fish in the early morning's or evening hours.
  • saltygator11saltygator11 Posts: 137 Deckhand
    386, I'm down here this week. Tried to fish yesterday but the weather wouldn't allow it for more than 10 mins. I did stop along a few points today(585) throwing live shiners and artificial rapalas. I was able to cross a snake head off the list with a live shiner. Water was moving quick, peacocks were doing nothing with the shiners. Going to try again tomorrow. Hopefully you found them!