Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

Hunting Clubs Near Orlando

haden_mcghaden_mcg Posts: 10 Greenhorn
Hi everyone,

My name is Haden McGill, and I just recently moved down to Orlando from around Mobile, AL. Being that I totally missed the chance to apply for any WMA permits, I'd like to join a club. Typically, all I do is bowhunt for whitetail, and normally kill anywhere from 3-5 deer a year. If anyone knows of any clubs (or just private tracts) taking in members, please holler at me and let me know. I would greatly appreciate any info I can gather. Thanks, fellas.

Replies

• hunterjwhunterjw Posts: 463 Deckhand
    Leases south of Orlando will be expensive 6-10k (ex. Mormon land etc). If you are willing to drive an hour or 2 north you should be able to find something in the 1-3k range. Most clubs renew 6/1 or after spring turkey- still some out there (craiglist, woods and water, timber companies-plum creek) Still plenty of wmas that do not require quotas and you also can apply for reissues/redraws.
    "He who hoots with the owls at night will not soar with the eagles at dawn"

• GeetchGeetch Posts: 228 Deckhand
    If interested in 5k acres in Jasper, FL I can see if they have any openings. Good group of guys. Still and dog hunt. They kill a pile every year.
  • haden_mcghaden_mcg Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    hunterjw, could you tell me a few of the WMAd that don't require quotas? Geetch, man that sounds awesome, but Jasper is a bit of a stretch from where I am. I appreciate y'all replying.
  • Alan BuchananAlan Buchanan Posts: 58 Deckhand
    Volusia county is still reasonable
  • Scottb226Scottb226 Posts: 235 Deckhand
    haden_mcg wrote: »
    hunterjw, could you tell me a few of the WMAd that don't require quotas? Geetch, man that sounds awesome, but Jasper is a bit of a stretch from where I am. I appreciate y'all replying.

http://myfwc.com/media/547579/WMAsQuotaPermitNotNeeded.pdf
    Volusia county is still reasonable

Is Volusia County the name of the club? And what part of the county is it located?
    Scottb226, thanks man. I'm gonna get to researching these places.
    He is referring to lease prices in Volusia county. Flagler county as well and north are also more affordable. Most all of NE Florida runs dogs as an fyi. Bow hunting is best for public land as you hit the rut (September/October) and the deer are not nocturnal yet.

Oh okay. Would you just find leases on Craigslist, or a realtor's website or what? Sorry if all these are basic questions; I've just never gotten into leasing. Also, it looks like Lake Monroe WMA is reasonably close to where I live. Have any of you tried this location!
    Craigslist, hightechredneck (online), woods and water, rayonier has online system,

Only heard bad on lake Monroe. Lot of ppl and not a lot of land. Most places nearby Orlando are going to have significant pressure if not quota.

Lot of good duck hunting etc nearby if you like to do that

• Scottb226Scottb226 Posts: 235 Deckhand
    haden_mcg wrote: »
    Oh okay. Would you just find leases on Craigslist, or a realtor's website or what? Sorry if all these are basic questions; I've just never gotten into leasing. Also, it looks like Lake Monroe WMA is reasonably close to where I live. Have any of you tried this location!

There are deer there but expect to work really hard for one. If you're not willing to walk far through water and thick brush I wouldn't bother. Lot's of people will hunt within a few hundred yards from the parking areas on the main trails and wonder why they don't see anything
    hunterjw, thanks, I'll check out those sites. And, I haven't gotten into the duck hunting too much. Always been too hung up on bowhunting.
    Scottb, I don't mind walking long distances, and I can normally find the deer if they are there, but tracking one through miles of water would probably be quite hard haha. And I'm sure there's a decent amount of gators wanting that same deer you're tracking.