Two Hour Red Trip 7/27

BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,727 Captain
Duane (Windsplitter) and I slipped out around 3:30 yesterday afternoon to get a red for dinner. Mission was accomplished and after two hours of fishing we ran back in to Duane's house.

It was a little choppy but nice weather so we went south instead of north. Fish were active but were being picky about hitting an artificial.

Managed to put an eater in the boat, added a few other reds, probably six snook counting the snooklets. with me losing a nice one when it ran toward the boat , jumped, and threw the bait. Kinda cool to watch though.

All fish were caught on either gold spoon or a soft jerkbait in less than three feet of water. Water temperature is probably somewhere around "hot"...we don't have a temperature taker on the boat.:)

A picture to prove we caught fish, only picture we took, as always a great time fishing with my good buddy Duane.

Bill
"And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."

Replies

• SassaWhalerSassaWhaler Posts: 115 Deckhand
    Sounds like a GREAT day and a better dinner! Nice inshore mixed bag. Your description of the water being "somewhere around HOT" is classic and right on point. :thumbsup
  • CoachTLCoachTL Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Good afternoon of fishing there
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,727 Captain
    Sounds like a GREAT day and a better dinner!

We don't keep them very often but once in awhile it's nice to have a blackened red. We also try not to keep an eater (our term for size) unless it's over 22 inches, under 27 inches of course, as there isn't much "meat" on a 18 inch red. :)

Bill
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,721 Captain
    Good two hours of fishing,:thumbsup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • THINKICANTHINKICAN Homosassa, FLPosts: 560 Officer
    You two catch so many fish it's rumored that you keep them in a pen! LOL!! The red's seem to have started to move in around here and I had another snook steal my next to last Bagley Floating Mullet lure in silver with black back. I just cannot seem to use any leader over about 14 lb test and the snook's gills almost always cut it. My bad! What test leader do you use, Bill?
    SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?
    THINKICAN wrote: »
    You two catch so many fish it's rumored that you keep them in a pen! LOL!! The red's seem to have started to move in around here and I had another snook steal my next to last Bagley Floating Mullet lure in silver with black back. I just cannot seem to use any leader over about 14 lb test and the snook's gills almost always cut it. My bad! What test leader do you use, Bill?

I use 25 pound floro as the snook, as you mentioned, are tough on leaders. Ted (HammerheadTed) uses even bigger but he fishes almost exclusively for big snook.

We catch them as a byproduct fishing for reds. Love catching them as they are a pleasant surprise, I remember a few years ago, you couldn't catch them in our area, after the 2010 cold kill.

On a side note I haven't been in your fishing holes lately, going to have to make a trip to them, like to have a change from where we fish most times.

Bill
  • THINKICANTHINKICAN Homosassa, FLPosts: 560 Officer
    I don't have them "penned" as you and Wind Splitter do. Only got two this morning, 20" and 28". They're still swimming! Actually got out a little after 7 a.m. instead of my normal 8:30. Home by 10 a.m. IT'S TOO DARN HOT, IT'S TOO DARN HOT! (That could be a song!!!) Will switch to 25# if I think there will be snook! Thanks,
    SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,256 Officer
    Nice short trip. I use 40# leader on everything, but only about 2' - 3' long. I don't use loop knots either and somehow manage to get enough action out of my lures to catch fish. I do target big Snook, but Snook in general have a very abrasive mouth. If the lure is inside its mouth with the leader going over the rough part, you will be lucky to catch a big Snook with thin leader. If the leader is outside the mouth wher it usually is with large lures, 20 # works fine. I don't like to take the chance. Didn't need much leader today fishing with Gary as I caught 2 Snook with the large one only at 30".
  • YackedupYackedup Posts: 149 Deckhand
    :thumbsup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Formally known as Anvil :spin
  • WindsplitterWindsplitter Posts: 617 Officer
    Glad you could make it out. Next time we will make a day of it I hope.
    Glad you could make it out. Next time we will make a day of it I hope.

Yep. hope so, need a long day to fish. Now I'm wondering if this report will make the drawing? :huh

Bill
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,840 AG
    nice fish..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • FS ShelbyFS Shelby Posts: 689 Admin
    Great report, thanks for sharing with the FS forum community!

You will now be entered in our forum giveaway! Keep posting new reports until September 31st for more chances to win the fishing trip of a lifetime with Fishing Nosara in Costa Rica!

Check out http://www.floridasportsman.com/2017/06/12/win-costa-rica-fishing-adventure/ for more details.
    FS Shelby wrote: »
    Great report, thanks for sharing with the FS forum community!

You will now be entered in our forum giveaway! Keep posting new reports until September 31st for more chances to win the fishing trip of a lifetime with Fishing Nosara in Costa Rica!

Check out http://www.floridasportsman.com/2017/06/12/win-costa-rica-fishing-adventure/ for more details.

Thanks, I'm just shooting for the Engel package, I'm not greedy. :)

Bill
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 936 Officer
    Business as usual for you guys! Thanks for sharing