Home General Fishing

Best Braid for Bottom Fishing, 4 vs 8 carrier

Glass MinnowGlass Minnow Posts: 54 Greenhorn
Hi all,

Looking for some opinions on the best braid for bottom fishing the middle grounds in Gulf of Mexico. I fished 65lb spiderwire ultracast invisabraid last year with great results. Looking to save money and get the spiderwire stealth. I'm brand agnostic, so Power Pro vs. Power Pro superslick comparisons and others encouraged. Just looking for pros and cons of standard braid vs. slick 8 carrier braid.

Thanks,

Dave

Replies

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,391 Admiral
    Hi all,

Looking for some opinions on the best braid for bottom fishing the middle grounds in Gulf of Mexico. I fished 65lb spiderwire ultracast invisabraid last year with great results. Looking to save money and get the spiderwire stealth. I'm brand agnostic, so Power Pro vs. Power Pro superslick comparisons and others encouraged. Just looking for pros and cons of standard braid vs. slick 8 carrier braid.

Thanks,

Dave

I don't bottom fish, but will offer up my understanding of braid. 8 thread is smoother than 4, which makes it cast further. Super Slick is made to cast further than standard braid. My 2 cents would be you don't need either. If you are simply bottom fishing (aka not casting) go with standard braid. I can't see what being able to cast further would offer in terms of gains for bottom fishing. What little bottom fishing I do, I use mono. Braid is great for long casts and offers high line capacity for small inshore reels, neither of which seem relevant to reef fishing.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    As above... Slick-8 etc. is great for Inshore Spinners, but just get Daiwa J-Braid for Bottom Bumping... Cheap (on Amazon) & Good Stuff...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • j102j102 Posts: 52 Deckhand
    I am a Power Pro (regular) fan. I like its "roundness" feel, easy to handle and knots, and overall strength. I like it better than Spiderwire for those reasons.
    I'll use 50-65lbs depending on the water depth and targeted species.
    And use a mono or fluorocarbon leader.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,347 Admiral
    Bottom fishing with braid is a learning curve. It took me time to figure out why I was breaking off big fish just under the boat. I finally figured it out and don't lose big grouper and snapper any longer. That is unless the sharks get to them first, which happens quite frequently up here too. But here is what I finally figured out. Get a good braid, for me it is either Tufline XP or JB braid. Then run a 12' to 25' topshot of ande mono. Then use a swivel below an egg sinker and use a 6' leader, mono also for me. The top shot acts as a shock absorber when the fish sees the bottom of the boat and surges down at warp speed. The added mono will stretch instead of break at the knot, which is where braid tends to break. It cuts into itself and weakens at the knot. To me the benefits of braid for this application is worth the dollars it costs. It gives you better feel of what is going on and also the ability to use far less weight to stay straight above the bait, which is also critical while grouper fishing.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.