Fort Myers Bridges

What is there to catch around the bridges this time of year? I hear Tarpon and Drum at night is the ticket?

I am pretty new to fishing the area and am putting my time in on the water but I really dont know whats where this time of year.

Replies

• stallan54stallan54 Posts: 88 Greenhorn
    Bridges are hit or miss but you can usually find some hungry goliaths sitting at the bottom of the piers and columns. Around Punta Rassa I've heard of some tarpon but not many. Lots of catfish and possibly some jacks and pompano.
  • AndrewFLAndrewFL Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    Sharks too: lots of sharks. Get fresh bait, 7 feet of leader, 7/0 circle. Wait for incoming tide. Use relatively heavy gear to fight large shark/ current.
  • IdahojoeIdahojoe Posts: 51 Deckhand
    AndrewFL Sharks at the fort Myers bridges? There are a ton of cats around them and the entire river really. We always catch them. I want to find some decent fishing on the river between the lock and the cape coral bridge. Anyone have any ideas? I was hoping someone would chime in on the bridges. Ive been told this time of year the tarpon can be found and BIG drum like to run in that far. Ive caught snook in the river but I was hoping to find something other then cats and the occasional snook or bass. What else is in the Caloosahatchee river?
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,877 Captain
    You can catch plenty of quality fish at any of the "Fort Myers bridges".

Are you asking for land or by boat info?
    Boat. By fort Myers bridges I mean the bridges crossing the river. The twin edison bridges, 41 and the cape coral toll bridge.

What kind of quality FISH? What time of day or year?
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,877 Captain
    Nighttime/early morning snook fishing the cape bridge is good.

Same goes for tarpon fishing the cape bridges as well.

I haven't done any fishing up by the 41 and 75 bridges so I'd have zero clue.
  • AndrewFLAndrewFL Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    Any bridge (in Fort Myers area) with a deep channel, relatively close to gulf, and lots of life will hold sharks. You can use catfish for bait, watch out for those spines. There is a chance of hooking a Goliath or tarpon when fishing for sharks.
  • whipachawwhipachaw Posts: 505 Officer
    Lots of young bull sharks in the river right now. Same thing every summer.
    What about sheephead and snapper? Can you find them by these bridges or even the docks and marinas around downtown? Can you net bait in this area?
  • whipachawwhipachaw Posts: 505 Officer
    Yes. Yes. Sometimes.
    Thanks all.. I think I might bet up and head down to the bridges in the morning.. If my foot feels better. I got stung on the finger by a sail cat today and when I dropped it it speared a spine into the top of my foot. Bled like a gut hooked fish for about an hour and the pain was terrible. It made my leg from the knee down hurt like like. Now my foot is swollen and actually bruised. Do they really have venom or just painful feels like driving a nail into the top of my foot? I have been "stung" in the hand and fingers before by them but today was the worst. About an hour after I was thinking of loading the boat and heading home. But I had about 50 live shrimp in the baitwell.
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 437 Deckhand
    Idahojoe wrote: »
    Thanks all.. I think I might bet up and head down to the bridges in the morning.. If my foot feels better. I got stung on the finger by a sail cat today and when I dropped it it speared a spine into the top of my foot. Bled like a gut hooked fish for about an hour and the pain was terrible. It made my leg from the knee down hurt like like. Now my foot is swollen and actually bruised. Do they really have venom or just painful feels like driving a nail into the top of my foot? I have been "stung" in the hand and fingers before by them but today was the worst. About an hour after I was thinking of loading the boat and heading home. But I had about 50 live shrimp in the baitwell.

Don't underestimate the sailfish and its aphrodisiac slime. I always wear my orange Michael Jackson glove to the insulting protests of my fishing friends. I also use the long pliers or fish grips. All you need now is to step on a stingray and get stung by a jellyfish and your club initiation is complete.:wink
    Been stung by Jellyfish plenty.
  • PhlypperPhlypper Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    Catfish spines do have a toxin, and it breaks down in heat (like most stingrays). Hopefully, there is no next time, but if there is, soak the punctured/envenomed area in the hottest water you can stand. If on land, heat a wet towel in the microwave. and place that on the wound. If on a boat, use the warm water exhaust from the engine. You should have it professionally looked at to make sure there is no remaining pieces.

Too much run off with the rains for snapper or sheeps. Some large jack crevalle will tear through. They prefer large live baits, like pinfish or mullet. The big black drum are there. Just soak a blue crab on the bottom next to a deep piling. They make great pictures, but lousy table fare.