Mini Season 2017 Day 1

Mini Season Day 1. We got our limit for 5 people (other adults not in picture) by 8:45 am. More boats than I've ever seen during a mini season. Crazy out there, be safe!
2016 39 Sea Vee
2008 37 Ocean Billfish
2005 30 Grady-White Marlin
1993 27 Ultress Catamaran
1985 Grady-White Trophy

Replies

• silentfaithsilentfaith Posts: 362 Deckhand
    got ours buy 08:30am. hope tomorrow is not a blow out.
  • rivamunstasteverivamunstasteve Posts: 661 Officer
    Saw a guy 900 ft away from his boat, got left behind. Sad.

Guy came back to get him, we kept an eye on him.
  • FlaflyerFlaflyer Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Way too many boats, most crowded I have seen it in 28 years. This thing needs to go the way of the dinosaurs.
  • ThrottleThrottle Posts: 2,836 Captain
    Very nice haul.
    Regarding the boat traffic, I think the lobster resource is strained to the limit. You'll notice that long before the regular season is over the commercial trappers have given up on lobster and pulled their traps. How about we cut the number of commercial traps in half to ease the pressure on the resource? Then maybe recreational divers wouldn't have to worry about whether day 2 of the season might already be a blow out, and maybe there wouldn't be such a ridiculous imperative to get your lobsters during the mini season.
  • Reel TeaseReel Tease Posts: 659 Officer
    not a bad idea Throttle,

Sweet Haul! We did pretty good ourselves. We were bully netting tho. :thumbsup

Heres a quick video on how to quickly clean a lobster! Hope it helps some one. Be safe everyone!
  • woodytoowoodytoo Posts: 296 Deckhand
    Very nice haul. 6 person limit 10:00 back in. Lots of current where were!
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
    Lil Woody, Carolina Skiff JVX16
    St Pete and Big Pine Key, Fl
  • AMPEDAMPED Posts: 619 Officer
    I think this may be my last mini season. I love it, but it's just getting to crazy. I think you should get 12 zip tie tags for early lobster season that must be attach to the tail and remain on the tail until cooked. They could do this and increase the early season to 7-10 days and cut down on traffic and people taking multiple bag limits.
    2016 39 Sea Vee
    2008 37 Ocean Billfish
    2005 30 Grady-White Marlin
    1993 27 Ultress Catamaran
    1985 Grady-White Trophy
  • rivamunstasteverivamunstasteve Posts: 661 Officer
    AMPED- thought of that also. I'm surprised that Fwc doesn't have checkpoints at the bridges with heaviest traffic. 95percent of the boats that go out back (where we are) go through niles channel. And sadly, I believe 20-30% of the guys out here are illegal.

Problem is I think guys go to area 1 on first trip, then to area 2 on their second, then Area 3 on their third
  • AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 2,029 Captain
    Nice catch
    I have seen several boats go out 3 times today
    maybe we should have a freezer check
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Charter Service cheaper than renting

https://www.aokcharters.com/
    573-216-4078

https://www.AOKRVs.com   -- The best prices on the best best brands everyday.

• latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 2,051 Captain
    Nice haul for you and your family. The mini is basically a huge shot to the local economies throughout the state prior to the commercial opener. The idea being to give the rec fisherman an opportunity to catch a few prior to all the traps in the water which I totally agree with. I would like to see some sort of other management ideas put forward some of which have been brought up in this post.
    AMPED wrote: »
    I think this may be my last mini season. I love it, but it's just getting to crazy. I think you should get 12 zip tie tags for early lobster season that must be attach to the tail and remain on the tail until cooked. They could do this and increase the early season to 7-10 days and cut down on traffic and people taking multiple bag limits.
    Not a bad idea but there's still commercial carnage. The only reason lobster isn't collapsing entirely is that we have large no take zones as sanctuaries, where the commercial guys can't drop traps.
  • Slo Poke1Slo Poke1 Posts: 328 Deckhand
    AMPED- thought of that also. I'm surprised that Fwc doesn't have checkpoints at the bridges with heaviest traffic. 95percent of the boats that go out back (where we are) go through niles channel. And sadly, I believe 20-30% of the guys out here are illegal.

Problem is I think guys go to area 1 on first trip, then to area 2 on their second, then Area 3 on their third
    some don't care about changing areas. I saw 2 boats come and go on day 1 to the same area. We also scouted a couple of heads inside on Tuesday that at least 50 each and 50 yards apart and when we got there on Wednesday there was a boat anchored on 1 with divers on the second. Only 5 people were visible on board. Nothing but a few shorts there today.
  • FLJigging0228FLJigging0228 Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    AOKRVs wrote: »
    Nice catch
    I have seen several boats go out 3 times today
    maybe we should have a freezer check

You need to start calling in ANY possible violation. We are just as much responsible for poaching as the poachers if we dont
  • AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 2,029 Captain
    You need to start calling in ANY possible violation. We are just as much responsible for poaching as the poachers if we dont

I will have my phone/camera ready next time. IF FWC had a number you could text a picture and location it would help speed up enforcement. I can't see in the coolers so would that give LE enough cause to be able to go in their house and search the freezer.
    I am sure they were plenty busy with taking care of safety first.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Charter Service cheaper than renting

https://www.aokcharters.com/
    573-216-4078

https://www.AOKRVs.com   -- The best prices on the best best brands everyday.

• AndyBAndyB Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    You are spot on ...... Stopped going down for mini season years ago just because of that. You would think that in 2017 FWC and the State of FL (not blaiming the LEO's) would have a better tracking system. The number of individuals that are apprehended is probably nothing compared to the number of people that gets away with it. Sometimes I think that political pressure may be one factor of the equation. How many people would really come down to the keys and support the local economy if we had a better tracking/enforcement system. My guess is a lot less.....
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    AndyB wrote: »
    You are spot on ...... Stopped going down for mini season years ago just because of that. You would think that in 2017 FWC and the State of FL (not blaiming the LEO's) would have a better tracking system. The number of individuals that are apprehended is probably nothing compared to the number of people that gets away with it. Sometimes I think that political pressure may be one factor of the equation. How many people would really come down to the keys and support the local economy if we had a better tracking/enforcement system. My guess is a lot less.....

My guess is a lot more. I have the opinion that lawbreakers make the season much less rewarding for those who come down and spend a lot of money and go to a lot of hassle to enjoy lobstering. If tourists see lobsters everywhere like I have in past years they may be like me and find the experience much more rewarding than finding empty hole after empty hole. I think that there are many more law abiding folks than crooks and the law abiders need to be rewarded.
    I think that the wholesale carnage of the commercial fleet is a far bigger impact than whatever excess catch can be attributed to scofflaw recreational divers. Imagine if there were no lobster traps... You wouldn't see the mad rush we currently see because there'd be plenty of lobsters to be caught legally, and way past the first two days. And for that matter there have been plenty of arrests of scofflaw commercial lobster fishermen, who have been far greedier than the old guy with the bully net.
  • N2naclh20N2naclh20 Posts: 285 Deckhand
    Throttle wrote: »
    I think that the wholesale carnage of the commercial fleet is a far bigger impact than whatever excess catch can be attributed to scofflaw recreational divers. Imagine if there were no lobster traps... You wouldn't see the mad rush we currently see because there'd be plenty of lobsters to be caught legally, and way past the first two days. And for that matter there have been plenty of arrests of scofflaw commercial lobster fishermen, who have been far greedier than the old guy with the bully net.

That's not completely accurate, see this thread from another site that has some very good info on the real numbers of rec. v comm.
    http://www.thehulltruth.com/florida-georgia/858889-lobster-checkin-report.html
    There is no greater passion than that of a fisherman.
    Avatar photo: Grandparents and my Dad at Blowing Rocks, Jupiter 1923.
  • WahooslayerWahooslayer Posts: 33 Greenhorn
    We did not have a great day on Weds, our holes on the gulf side of Marathon were widely devoid of any lobster, didn't even see as many shorts as usual. Did better on day 2 Atlantic side.
    2019 Everglades 435
    1989 35 Contender TCummins
    2013 296 Cobia

N2naclh20 wrote: »
    That's not completely accurate, see this thread from another site that has some very good info on the real numbers of rec. v comm.
    http://www.thehulltruth.com/florida-georgia/858889-lobster-checkin-report.html
    The last year I can find numbers for both recreational and commercial is 2001. That year the statewide rec. catch was 784,000 lobsters (estimated based on a survey of 5000 fishermen). The commercial catch was 3.4 million pounds. It looks to me like the commercial guys are taking at least 3 times as many bugs as recreational fishermen.
    In 2015 the commercial take was 5.9 million pounds.
    http://sanctuaries.noaa.gov/science/socioeconomic/floridakeys/pdfs/fmrilobsterfact.pdf
    https://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/pls/webpls/MF_ANNUAL_LANDINGS.RESULTS