Scalloping Adventures

We pulled out of SeaHag marina on a Friday morning well ahead of the maddening crowds. The ride out of the channel was smooth and the air almost refreshing. We headed north this time of out the channel. Although some reports were leading more people south we had a few spots just a few miles north that warranted exploring. Our boatload was lighter this year, with only 4 aboard today - my wife and I and my 14 year old daughter with her friend. The friend had never been on a boat or out on the gulf and, of course, never scalloped.

We headed north a few miles and slowed down to start looking. The water was clear and we jumped in and started exploring. It only took a few minutes to locate the first of many scallops and everyone started cruising around and collecting. We hopped around for most of the day and picked up more scallops than I really wanted to clean. Sometime in the morning we saw a few dolphins feeding about 100 yards in front of us. Since we had kids aboard I moved the boat hoping to get the girls an up close look at them. The 2-3 dolphins were no more than 50 yards from shore and we were in 2-3’ of water so I was wondering just how shallow the dolphins must have been. Watching them for a minute it was clear they were circling bait and feeding. I knew that also likely meant they were over sand and not grass. As we approached them the bottom suddenly deepened to about 6-7 feet and the sand was stacked in ridges. It was strange to see the bottom change so close to shore but we as we snorkeled around here we found a forest of thin bladed manatee grass and scallops everywhere. This was way closer to shore than we had ever tried in previous years and we were rewarded for venturing away from the normal areas. Thanks dolphins!
We also saw a bunch of large southern stingrays in this same area, some of the largest I have ever seen. They were also resting in the sand and the girls got a kick out of seeing them. We kept a respectful distance with the kids recounting stories of Steve Irwin’s untimely demise from a ray.

The rest of the day was spent trying a few more spots close by and filling our cooler. It never really seemed too hot and we enjoyed a great day on the water. About 4pm we started heading back south to get back in. We stopped at a large sandbar about a mile north of the channel to chill for a little bit. I was looking out over the sandbar and saw a large, dark shape cruising by in 18” of water. About a 5’ shark just checking things out. I was the only one who got in the water there.

As we headed into the river we ended up running right into a big thunderstorm that had blown up over land and started moving offshore. It was impressive but we managed to get in before the downpour. It rained hard for about an hour shortly after we docked, glad we did not try to stay out any longer. My wife and I spent about an hour and a half cleaning our catch and then headed back to clean up and get dinner. Another great day on the water. I would really like to do this more often.

Decided to grill the scallops in the shell this time after I saw another post of someone trying this. We loaded the shells with 2-3 seasoned scallops each and added lemon, garlic, breadcrumbs, and parmesan cheese. Grilled for about 5-7 minutes and then served. Had never cooked them this way before but everyone loved them. Hope everyone gets to enjoy great scalloping times like we did.
"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore"

- Vincent Van Gogh

2215GAG3.jpg

Replies

• skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,333 Captain
    Wow! That's an amazing report!
    God, save the South!
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 4,999 Captain
    Gulfstream??
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
  • brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 3,069 Captain
    That's the Seahag Dew.

Glad ya'll found some Kevin. It always pays to check in close and away from the flotilla.
  • kgfisherkgfisher Posts: 612 Officer
    Yes, we left out of SeaHag. They have a ton of rentals now.

And thanks for the help Mike!
    "The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore"

- Vincent Van Gogh

2215GAG3.jpg
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,806 AG
    dewyafish wrote: »
    Gulfstream??

Dang, it has been a while since you've been down huh? Don't even remember where Seahag is:grin

Great report and that is one ugly storm!
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • JTRJTR Posts: 1,075 Officer
    And that is an Awesome day one the water !!! :hail

Mercy..........that is one bad looking storm.

Thanks for the report!
  • LiveLineLiveLine Wakulla County, FloridaPosts: 1,651 Captain
    Great report...we were down in the Hatch a week ago scalloping...love the area.
  • tk's joytk's joy Posts: 2,490 Officer
    Yes, great report , and they look delicious but tk no like them big black storms like that.

tk
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,675 Captain
    :beer
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,376 Officer
    A nice story, your ladies friends all look as though they enjoyed the day and those scallops look delicious.
    A big bonus with the dolphins and stingrays and missing the worst of the storm.
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,794 Captain
    Great report, Kevin. You need to put up some pics of the springs trips too!
    Proverbs 13:3
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 4,999 Captain
    micci_man wrote: »
    Dang, it has been a while since you've been down huh? Don't even remember where Seahag is:grin

Great report and that is one ugly storm!
    I don't want to talk about it. :banghead
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
  • FS ShelbyFS Shelby Posts: 687 Officer
    Great report, thanks for sharing with the FS forum community!

You will now be entered in our forum giveaway! Keep posting new reports until September 31st for more chances to win the fishing trip of a lifetime with Fishing Nosara in Costa Rica!

Check out http://www.floridasportsman.com/2017/06/12/win-costa-rica-fishing-adventure/ for more details.
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,233 Admiral
    :thumbsup
  • DostahawkDostahawk Posts: 30 Greenhorn
    Great report! Great pics! thanks for sharing.