Nighttime Snapper Fishing for Kids - Need Suggestions

I have some company coming into town this weekend and was thinking abut taking the kids (ages 8-11) and their dad out Friday night to snapper fish off of PE. Its been years since I used to fish out their regularly at night, so I'm looking for any suggestions. More than anything we just need action. Whether we catch keepers or not, I really don't care.

Here's what I was thinking .... tie up to one of the buoy balls south of PE. Hopefully we can chum up some bait, which the kids can have fun catching on gold hooks. Then fish some fresh pilchard plugs on the bottom for whatever snapper or grunt might be around or in the slick. Am i wrong thinking this might work like it did years ago? Do the pilchard still come in by the buoys after dark?

I saw some other nice posts out in the deeper water down south but being that this is a kids trip, I was thinking shallower water at the buoys might just do the trick.

Thoughts?
Intrepid 370 - "My Favorite"

Replies

• Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,767 Captain
    Shawn a friend of mine fished last Friday
    had a good bite on mangroves and the
    pilchards were there.
  • stebfishstebfish Posts: 169 Deckhand
    probate-r wrote: »
    I have some company coming into town this weekend and was thinking abut taking the kids (ages 8-11) and their dad out Friday night to snapper fish off of PE. Its been years since I used to fish out their regularly at night, so I'm looking for any suggestions. More than anything we just need action. Whether we catch keepers or not, I really don't care.

Here's what I was thinking .... tie up to one of the buoy balls south of PE. Hopefully we can chum up some bait, which the kids can have fun catching on gold hooks. Then fish some fresh pilchard plugs on the bottom for whatever snapper or grunt might be around or in the slick. Am i wrong thinking this might work like it did years ago? Do the pilchard still come in by the buoys after dark?

I saw some other nice posts out in the deeper water down south but being that this is a kids trip, I was thinking shallower water at the buoys might just do the trick.

Thoughts?

If you float a fresh piece of ballyhoo back in the chum slick on a bare hook or 1/16 oz Yellowtail jig at the balls, you can catch some decent fish. I've even caught some decent Muttons there while catching bait pre-dawn. Good luck.
  • probate-rprobate-r Posts: 327 Deckhand
    Years ago we used to catch legal muttons, mangos and a few yellowtail around the balls, wspecially during the winter on a west wind. Even had it down to a science, where certain balls were better for certain types of snapper due to their location on or at the edge of the reefline. But those years (ok decades) are long gone so its time for a refresher. I'll post how we do.
    Intrepid 370 - "My Favorite"
  • wacanewacane Posts: 257 Deckhand
    there are fish at the balls at night if you chum enough