Home General Fishing

Surf/Pier Combo, to many choices

BZ06BZ06 Posts: 24 Greenhorn
Hello everyone , first post here and looking forward to learning and chatting in the future. Having a tough time deciding on my first surf rod/reel set up. I have a few picked out and your feedback will be appreciated. Some information about what Im looking to do with my set up. I want to hit the beach and piers and get a set up that will let me cast out a decent distance. I want a set up that can handle heavy baits and a shark if so decide to give that a try. My location will be mainly around the gulf side near Siesta Key . Right now I have just one main rod/reel. It is a Fierce 5000 and 8ft Ugly Stick. Im still new to the saltwater.

1. Shimano Baitrunner BTR12000D Beach Runner BR1530S10CT Surf Spin Combo 10' 2pc
2. Shimano BTR8000OC /Tsunami Baitrunner OC Surf 2-Piece Spinning Combos 10'
3. PENN Spinfisher 6500 V Spinning Combo 10' rod 2pc
4. PENN Battle II 8000 Spinning Combo 10' rod 2pc
Not sure what type rods they use on the Penn
5. Daiwa BG5000/1002MH Bg Pre-Mounted Saltwater Spinning Combo 10' Surf
6. Building my own ?

Replies

• BZ06BZ06 Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Anyone ???? I thought someone here might have experience with one of these that Im deciding on. The good and bad.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
  • eggystareggystar Posts: 83 Deckhand
    don't know much about surf fishing.Only advice to give you is avoid number 1and 2
    So what is the bad about 1 and 2 ? My budget is around 250 max. Im going to buy 2. Im leaning towards 3 but do not know what rod they use on that set up.
  • bluewatermafiabluewatermafia Posts: 540 Officer
    I do a lot of surf fishing on the Atlantic side, I did a little when I was living in Bradenton. All of those combos seem pretty heavy to me. I do most of my shark fishing with a fierce 5000 like you have, and an old quantum Cabo 60, both with 30# line.
    I can't recommend anything particular, but if you are gunna mostly surf fish, I would prolly get 2 outfits in the 9 to 10' range with a 4000 size reel, should be able to get two decent combos for $250.
    I do have a couple of Okuma longitude rods that I picked up at academy for like $40 and they have been good. They are a little stiff, but they cast heady shark baits good. My Cabo is on a 12' and I like that combo a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Tim FredTim Fred Posts: 109 Deckhand
    I would go lighter on the reels.
    Does anyone here have input on this rod Tsunami Sapphire XT 2pc, 10 ' surf rod. Thinking about putting a 6000 Fierce or Battle on one.
    Tim Fred wrote: »
    I would go lighter on the reels.
    Thanks , is this mainly because of the weight ? Can you really tell the difference between a 5000 vs 8000
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
    BZ06 wrote: »
    Thanks , is this mainly because of the weight ? Can you really tell the difference between a 5000 vs 8000

pick up a tsunami airwave 9' extra heavy (click here), 10' is a little much for the west coast , especially if you want to hit a pier on occasion like you mentioned. daiwa bg 5000 or penn battle 6000 , decent reels for around $100. they will hold quite a bit of 50 lb braid.
  • Tim FredTim Fred Posts: 109 Deckhand
    I like a 4000 series size reel for the pier. It should work for you in the surf, too. You choose the type of line, capacity. Set the drag accordingly. This is assuming you're targeting larger pier species.
    Thanks for all the replies. Seems like there is not one reel/rod combo for both surf and pier. Im now thinking about a 10' Tsunami TSTSS 1002MH Trophy Surf Rod and a 6000 Battle but it sounds like it would be a bit to much for the pier. I could use my 8ft ugly and 5000 fierce for the pier I guess.
    Sounds like the key to a perfect surf/pier rod is one that is strong and yet flexible enough to enjoy it. Im learning a lot here. Still to many choices . Tsunami Sapphire XT is about half the cost also so Im not sure if that is an option as well as the 10' ugly stick surf. Going to decide here soon.
  • j102j102 Posts: 52 Deckhand
    I think for Surf fishing one needs to go with a reel that offers good line capacity and is light at the same time. I like the 4000/5000 size. If you need to go with a bigger line for bigger fish, you need a bigger reel. I don't fish for sharks so a 4000/5000 size suits my needs.
    An 8 ft rod would work fine, but if you want to cast out there, the 10 ft rod would be better.
    The Penn Fierce is great, but for Surf fishing I would use a more "water resistant" reel. Something like a Penn Slammer 3 or the Penn Spinfisher V, both on the 4500 size.
    I would use either of those reels for Pier fishing, and in your case, you can go back to your 8 ft rod or even a 7 ft one.
  • ReelChillin82ReelChillin82 Posts: 123 Deckhand
    I'm also on the same mission... I'm looking into ordering the new BG5000 this week, to set up for pier/surf fishing mostly bridges in the keys an along the east coast... I'm just not sure if 9ft or 10ft ? And I have no idea what rod to go with. I've been looking on amazon an seen a couple different options in the 40-100 dollar range. Any one have any input on those. Like the okuma longitude/Solaris tsunami prevail beefstick etc etc.
    Any one have any input on these.. I have about 180-200 dollar budget for the rod and reel an the reel is about 100. I also have a penn battle 4K that most of the rod guides are broken so if these rods mentioned above are good I can probably get an extra one for my battle??
    I'm also on the same mission... I'm looking into ordering the new BG5000 this week, to set up for pier/surf fishing mostly bridges in the keys an along the east coast... I'm just not sure if 9ft or 10ft ? And I have no idea what rod to go with. I've been looking on amazon an seen a couple different options in the 40-100 dollar range. Any one have any input on those. Like the okuma longitude/Solaris tsunami prevail beefstick etc etc.
    Any one have any input on these.. I have about 180-200 dollar budget for the rod and reel an the reel is about 100. I also have a penn battle 4K that most of the rod guides are broken so if these rods mentioned above are good I can probably get an extra one for my battle??

This looks like it would be a good choice also for both surf/pier http://www.tackledirect.com/tsunami-tstss-902mh-trophy-surf-spinning-rod.html#reviews
  • ReelChillin82ReelChillin82 Posts: 123 Deckhand
    Bg5000 is on the way... I still have no idea what rod to get ��
    All I know is I think I want it to be 9ft
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 3,289 Captain
    Bg5000 is on the way... I still have no idea what rod to get ��
    All I know is I think I want it to be 9ft

In that size ... look at the 9 ft. Ugly Stik medium weight, two-piece rod.

It's inexpensive, durable, and should be easy to find.

Using a mono top-shot over braid, it tosses 3 oz. of lead + a dropper rig quite a ways.

( But, that's the absolute max ... 4 oz is too much ... we've tried. )
  • MuskiemanNCMuskiemanNC Posts: 134 Deckhand