Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Be careful in the **** field.

Harvest started on a large block of three adjoining **** fields on one of "my" farms on Tuesday and I have shot in different parts of the block every afternoon since.
For domestic reasons at the moment, I start around 1pm and finish soon after 4pm.
There have been a steady stream of birds, mostly singles and pairs, with the odd small group of mostly juvenile birds.
Over the 3 days I have shot bags of 62, 57 and yesterday 71.

During the harvesting you could hear the combine struggling a bit, as there seemed to be a thick crop this year.
This meant there was quite a lot of long thick stubble on the field, which made moving through it difficult.
This stuff is up to 2ft tall , thick as your finger and usually with a pointed top.
Just like a Japanese bamboo man trap.

This is a library photo to give you some idea, but my field was twice as many stalks about 18-24 inches high.

16034369-An-image-of-stubble-after-rapes-plant-Stock-Photo_zpsaotszlen.jpg

Yesterday I shot 2 birds out of a group of 3 and both birds seemed to drop stone dead.
As I had a couple of other birds on the ground, I decided to walk out and clean up, leaving my gun in the hide (as usual).
When I got near the decoys I picked 3 dead birds and then realised that another one was winged and walking off.
I hurried after it and pushed through the stubble, as I picked it up my feet got tangled in stubble and ground weed and I fell over.
Fortunately , I was able get my arms (still holding the dead birds) up near my head, but still sustained cuts and scrapes to my face and neck and my shooting glasses were bent, when a piece of stubble hit the lens and twisted the glasses off.

A generous coating of Savlon last night stopped the stinging, the cuts and scratches will heal and I was never going to win any beauty contests anyway, but I was lucky that the glasses prevented what could have been serious damage to my eye.

I have shot over **** stubble since it first became a crop and have torn clothing, scratched my legs and ruined wellington boots, but I have never fallen over before.
Another example of getting old , but not wiser.
I went again today.:)

Replies

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,807 Admiral
    Thanks for posting Cranfield. Hope you heal up. How many shells to bag 71 birds? 71?
    You should have been here yesterday
  • CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,522 Captain
    Thanks for posting Cranfield. Hope you heal up. How many shells to bag 71 birds? 71?

I am not as good as I was, cartridge count for the 71 killed was 102. :(
    The decoy layout was set out to present birds at around 30-35 yards, this week 25-35 mph winds have made it difficult to judge the incoming birds flightlines .
    When its that windy it just needs a slight flick of the wing and they are 10ft away from where you thought they would be.
    I did get quite a few with the second shot , they don't usually fool me too many times :)
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,807 Admiral
    Cranfield wrote: »

Well done, that's great
    You should have been here yesterday
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,347 Admiral
    Cranfield wrote: »
    The decoy layout was set out to present birds at around 30-35 yards, this week 25-35 mph winds have made it difficult to judge the incoming birds flightlines .
    When its that windy it just needs a slight flick of the wing and they are 10ft away from where you thought they would be.
    I did get quite a few with the second shot , they don't usually fool me too many times :)

Better than I would do. I haven't shot anything on the wing in 45 years. I could only imagine how I would do. :rolleyes
  • BodineBodine Posts: 3,077 Captain
    I know your heart is heavy, but I am thinking now would be a perfect opportunity to pick up a good retriever.

Keep the reports coming, for those of us who wish we were there.
    F the feds
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,813 Captain
    Nice report!
    Hate to hear about the fall,
    That's always a suprize when it happens, and rest assured your not the only one.
    Wish you the best and sure grateful for those glasses! Another casualty.. Dangit!
    Rest well, you'll be back at it in no time!
    God, save the South!
  • BayBobBayBob Posts: 865 Officer
    It wasn't that long ago that I fit the country song "I'm not as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was" but that too has passed now. Please keep the reports coming I so enjoy them.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 8,946 Admiral
    It's showing the picture today. that does look dangerous for a fall.
    I always had a gun dog when I was wildfowling , as I can't swim very well and when I needed walked up game hunted, as I wasn't going to crawl through the undergrowth pushing the birds out myself, but I stopped that shooting some years ago.
    Now its the occasional formal driven game day (they have picker-ups to collect the shot birds) and vermin shooting, where walking out to pick up shot birds is exercise I need.
    When I had a gundog I never used them in **** stubble, standing barley, or on the foreshore with a falling tide, I have seen bad incidents involving gundogs in all of those locations.
    Also, all my dogs were trained to walk into water, seeing any dog jump into water makes me wince.

As a postscript comment, we went to a Church barbecue last evening and one of the more forward parishioners mentioned that the red scrape marks on my neck closely resembled "love bites".
    I begged him not to mention it to my wife.:wink
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 8,946 Admiral
    They call them hickeys in the states.
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,813 Captain
    Rolling on the Floor Laughing!
    🤣
    God, save the South!
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    Are you shooting a SXS or semi-?

It's interesting that you'll find old English SXS's from the muzzleloader and early shotgun shell days that will have the right barrel choked and the left barrel cylinder bore as opposed to our system of just the opposite. I remember reading years ago that this was the way it was in the British Isles because there the first round fired was at incoming birds out just beyond maximum range, and the second round was fired as the birds were close in putting on brakes and pealing off to the sides to avoid the shot gunner. When I had my custom made SXS flintlock made some years ago I followed this tradition and had the right barrel choked 10 thousandts and the left barrel cyl bore.
    When shooting game, as is tradition, I only use a 12 ga SxS , double trigger , the front (trigger) barrel is choked 1/4 and the back (trigger) barrel is choked 3/4 . I can choose the appropriate trigger for the distance of the bird.
    With a high driven bird you would normally use the back barrel at max range and then the front barrel if you miss and it gets closer.
    Alternatively, with a walked up bird you would use the open choke when flushed, but if missed, you would use the tighter choke as it made distance away from you.

When vermin shooting I use a selection of 12 ga and 20ga in O/U , semi auto (3 shot) and of course my 20ga moderated O/U.
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 3,127 Captain
    Glad you were wearing the glasses, Brian. Now you only have to be called dead-eye for one reason.
    Proverbs 13:3
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    Nice shootin as usual Cran!