More pinfish trap questions

So after the last pinfish thread- I though everthing had been discussed. However, I've just watched a 'deer meat for dinner' vid on youtube where he's been fined $400 for not having his full address on his crab traps even though he had a 6 inch White Bouy with a big "R" on them.

So what's the regs on pinfish traps? Last thing I want is a $400 fine.

I was planning on having a tiny buoy/ marker under the surface so it didn't get stolen/ raided- is this legal? DOes it need to have a name and address on it? Does it have to be marked with a (R) on the Bouy- or is this all crab related?

Thx

Neil.

Replies

• SergeSerge Posts: 74 Greenhorn
    Hi Neil,

why bother with a trap? You can easily chum the pinfish on grassy grounds and catch them with sabiki's tipped with squid.
    Fill your livewell in under an hour and keep em alive for days if you are staying at a waterfront property.

Where wil you be staying?
  • YammyYammy Posts: 56 Greenhorn
    Was just thinking about Pinfish. We are staying on one of the canals near Marathon. Is there any use in set a trap off the dock overnight?
  • geositegeosite Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    UK Angler wrote: »
    So after the last pinfish thread- I though everthing had been discussed. However, I've just watched a 'deer meat for dinner' vid on youtube where he's been fined $400 for not having his full address on his crab traps even though he had a 6 inch White Bouy with a big "R" on them.

So what's the regs on pinfish traps? Last thing I want is a $400 fine.

I was planning on having a tiny buoy/ marker under the surface so it didn't get stolen/ raided- is this legal? DOes it need to have a name and address on it? Does it have to be marked with a (R) on the Bouy- or is this all crab related?

Thx

Neil.

The regulations for crab traps differ from pinfish traps.
    An ID tag or even a float are not required.

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/traps/

Cheers
  • DogDocDogDoc Posts: 686 Officer
    X 2 NO TAG OR ID REQUIRED.
  • UK AnglerUK Angler Posts: 278 Deckhand
    Cheers guys- that clears it up. Looks like I'm good to go!

@Serge- The thing I like about pulling a trap is that it saves you that hour every morning. I've no problems in catching them if I need to...but having a dozen pinfish waiting for me is enough to get me on my way. We're staying in a waterfront place in Marathon- so I'll be building a bait pen when I get down to keep anything alive overnight. Someone wrote a good tip earlier in teh week- I didn't know that Ballyhoo and pinfish couldnt stay in teh same bait pen- so I need to revise my plans and either build two pens or build in a divider.
  • SergeSerge Posts: 74 Greenhorn
    We normally catch enough of them the first day to last us 2 to 3 days, after that we load up again.
    Pinfish are pretty tough and will stay alive quite a while, we can't seem to keep ballyhoo alive for more than a few hours in the livewell.. luckily they work well dead or in chunks as well :)

Tight lines!