Fuel Barely Filling

Reel4ReelReel4Reel Posts: 425 Deckhand
My 2007 Bluewater 2550 has been experiencing a problem for the last year when filling with fuel... it's trickling in and not allowing for a fast, even moderate fill.

I've checked what I can and it seems that air is easily flowing in and out of the system.

Someone just told me today that it may be that the fuel line is diameter is closing due to ethanol.

Please help if anyone has experienced this and fixed or found the cause.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Replies

• testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    it has to be crimping some how to do that.. or you have a pelican in there.. :)
    get to harbor freight and buy a cheap tool to see down the pipe
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 945 Officer
    Make sure your vent line is open.
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,342 Moderator
    as mentioned, it sounds like your vent isn't allowing air out. This can have several causes. The vent screen could be caked with salt. The screen could be missing and a mud dauber made a nest. Excessive length in the vent hose can cause fuel or water to get trapped in a dip, blocking airflow. excess length can also allow the hose to kink. If you pull the vent hose from the vent and blow into it. you should be able to feel if your moving any liquid inside the hose. For it to work properly, you shouldn't have any more resistance than breathing thru a snorkle.
    fortunately, this is one of those easily fixed situations.

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • beachbumbeachbum Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    I had a similar problem that turned out to be the fill hose. The hose was about 10 years old and had been installed so there was low point that held fuel all the time. The inner layers of the hose had delaminated at that point which partially blocked it. This caused it to fill slowly. I didn't discover it, till the hose starting leaking gas into the bilge. I was getting ready to remove the tank when I discovered the defective hose. Good luck.
  • Reel4ReelReel4Reel Posts: 425 Deckhand
    Thanks, everyone. I have tried blowing lots of air into the system and it seems to flow easily.

I'll try again, but the Harbor Freight idea may be the next thing to try.

A.
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,515 Captain
    Give Paul at Bluewater a call.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,948 Captain
    Gotta be the filler hose.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    Be very careful expanding a fuel or water tank with air.. 4lbs is a test level for tanks on average.. granted they take punishment at sea and the baffles are there to help with that but blowing them up with air can hurt them.. just saying
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,342 Moderator
    Testerman, when i said blow, i meant with your mouth, hence the snorkel reference. If you can blow up a tank that way, YOU MUCH MAN! lol

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • Capt.AWCapt.AW Posts: 933 Officer
    Exact same symptoms I experienced with my Pathfinder, which happens to be the same vintage as your Bluewater. Mine happened over a period of a few weeks and the fill line developed a hole. I put about 10 gallons in it on the water, went to the ramp, and when I pulled the plug on the trailer raw fuel poured out of the bilge. I contacted PF about the issue and they were very little help.

I chose the the quick(cheap) fix versus the correct fix, and a had new fill installed on the side of the helm.
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 962 Officer
    My '99 2350 has experienced a different, but perhaps related, issue. I think I get an air bubble trapped in the tank leading the fill to act like the tank is full when it isn't. This led me to set off for a Bahamas crossing with only half a tank --- imagine my surprise when we took on 100 gallons (to a 120 gallon tank) as we cleared into West End. In looking at it, mine doesn't seem to have a fully separate vent, but the tank vent comes back to the fuel fill.