new cobia size limit

2»

Replies

• AlwaysLearningMoreAlwaysLearningMore Posts: 83 Greenhorn
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    No commercial on this coast targets cobia, it more of a bycatch on a grouper trip,,

Bad thing is that most recs follow fishery management and hav very little knowledge on what drives the rulemaking..
    Same thing for hunters though, IMO hunters are more tuned in to the process.

There has been a bit of directed cobia netting on the bars in Charlotte Harbor. Net skiffs can run on top of the bar until they see fish moving across the white spots, then toss the net anchor and try to circle them quick. Yes, they will set on a small number of fish. Few of these fish would top 38 inches (many don't make the current 33 inch limit) so this niche commercial fishery might end if the size limit change goes through.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,818 Admiral
    There has been a bit of directed cobia netting on the bars in Charlotte Harbor. Net skiffs can run on top of the bar until they see fish moving across the white spots, then toss the net anchor and try to circle them quick. Yes, they will set on a small number of fish. Few of these fish would top 38 inches (many don't make the current 33 inch limit) so this niche commercial fishery might end if the size limit change goes through.
    so they're catching fish with two 500 square foot seines that can't be connected?
    Maybe they are looking for one or two on the way home from mullet fishing but I highly doubt this is any kind of directed fishery.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 6,533 Admiral
    bull **** you ignorant ****.

#TRIGGERED
  • AlwaysLearningMoreAlwaysLearningMore Posts: 83 Greenhorn
    so they're catching fish with two 500 square foot seines that can't be connected?
    Maybe they are looking for one or two on the way home from mullet fishing but I highly doubt this is any kind of directed fishery.

They are catching fish with two 500 square foot seines that aren't SUPPOSED to be connected. Running the bars with the little piggyback boats sitting aft. I can't imagine that any of them can make a fortune catching cobia with this setup, even with two 500 square foot nets, but I have seen some of them spend a fair amount of time cruising up and down the bars doing it so I do believe that it is a small, but directed fishery.
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 766 Officer
    Ever try to measure a cobia while it's still kicking?
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,818 Admiral
    They are catching fish with two 500 square foot seines that aren't SUPPOSED to be connected. Running the bars with the little piggyback boats sitting aft. I can't imagine that any of them can make a fortune catching cobia with this setup, even with two 500 square foot nets, but I have seen some of them spend a fair amount of time cruising up and down the bars doing it so I do believe that it is a small, but directed fishery.
    as I said, it's just an extra $ after mullet fishing, nobody would gear up just to catch cobia with a net.

be easier to and cheaper to H&L.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.