Skip to main content
Home Tropics

Staniel Cay Offshore Fishing Help

Stetson LawStetson Law Posts: 489 Deckhand
He guys, we are taking a 39' CC over to Staniel Cay in August and want to fish offshore.

Anyone have any strategy and tactics advise? General locations?

Is there any known deep water buoys or FADs around there that we can run too?

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• MikeOMikeO Posts: 112 Deckhand
    There are a couple of fads but fat chance getting numbers for them. Run offshore and look for birds on schools of Mahi and tuna.
    Anywhere from 3 to 30 miles. 2 weeks ago further south from Staniel was hot for us but last week it was much further north in the sound that produced. Biggest Mahi was 48lb off birds.

I would hire Bonefish cliff as an offshore guide for a day if you have never fished down there, or Bernard is another option.
  • BullMarketBullMarket Posts: 186 Deckhand
    If you also want to try something different you can zoom over to the bridge. I think its like 38nm from Staniel. Also there is a beach right at the tip of Eleuthera called lighthouse beach which I found to be spectacular. You can anchor in the inside (calm and sandy) and walk over to the outside.

When fishing the bridge we did the best on the south end on the inside with the tide coming in.
    Palm Beach Pure Skin Care and Cosmetics PalmBeachPure.com
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,847 Admin
    The Bridge is certainly a possibility, or you could run to Devil's Point at the south end of Cat Island, and troll east toward Columbus Point. Plenty of dolphin, and a good shot at a blue. It's a bit over 40 miles from Staniel. We've had luck fishing in the middle of the Sea of Abaco, looking for birds, but mostly smallish yft.
    You could also run west across the Bank to the Tongue of the Ocean. If you take the Decca Channel west from Sampson Cay, you'll find some great lobstering on the heads along the way.
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!