Any Pass better than any other for offshore?

Yesterday I went out of Redfish Pass and got into deeper water much faster than I normally do when I head west off of Knapps Point/Punta Rassa. Found nice snapper and porgies to 12" within 4 miles and a keeper RG only 10 miles off at a little ledge. I never get that lucky when going out of Punta Rassa. Normally I have to go at least 15 miles to get keeper RG.

Wondering if it was just luck and coincidence or if there is closer deeper water the further north you go. Thinking about heading 25 miles off from somewhere this weekend and willing to try another Pass or stick to one of the two I normally use.

Been awhile since I posted. I'll refrain from bad language but my boat was ransacked by thieves a few months ago and totally gutted. Stole my outboard and everything in my dash including the cables. It was a relatively new purchase and I was taking my time getting insurance. I got beat for about $15k in repairs. Shame on me for not getting insurance the day I bought it. But...I'm back with newer and better gear on my vessel, and ready to get back to fishing :cool:

Replies

• NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 556 Officer
    It is definitely deeper a little further north. If you run out of Boca grande its only 25-30 miles to 100', whereas running out of FMB thats a 50 mile run.
    Sorry to hear about your boat, glad you're up and running again.
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,610 Moderator
    Sorry to hear about the thieves it is sad I could say more, you know we feel your pain. There is good fishing off both areas. Yes it gets deeper faster out of redfish pass with good areas of hard bottom. Any ledge you see is worth look this time of year, even if you do not stop. Mark it for another day. You mention insurance TOW BOATUS and SEA TOW are also options also.
    Glad to see you back on the water.
    larrywitt
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 437 Deckhand
    It angers me about thieves. The risk is worth it for them because of our pathetic justice system and psych personnel that makes excuses for everybody...up to me, I would break some legs, and chop some fingers. Sorry, man...hang in there.
  • whipachawwhipachaw Posts: 505 Officer
    Look at a map. Sanibel runs east and west before it turns and runs north and south. When you go out of redfish/captiva/boca, you did that run in pine island sound/charlotte harbor rather than on the outside of Sanibel. It does get deeper a bit faster to the north too.
  • stallan54stallan54 Posts: 88 Greenhorn
    Thanks! I'm still learning and investing heavily in fuel and time...paying my dues. I have a good friend who knows fishing well, but he has a job and works all the time! The cops told me straight up they don't have the resources to give me a good probability of finding the thief. I knew that though. I told the detective that if he happens to find out who it was I would give him $5k cash if he wrote the guy's address on a piece of paper for me. Still waiting and I'm from NJ so have multiple uses for my cigar cutter if I ever get an address :cool

So, I guess my question is, if you are me and your max distance is 20-25 miles offshore (2210 Mako Walkaround w/ single mercury 225 2-stroke) can I get to good fishing out of Punta Rassa that I will if I trailer the boat a half hour to Pine Island? I don't mind the drive, but I keep my boat at a warehouse on Summerlin & Pine Ridge, about 5 minutes from PR ramp.
    Depending on the seas and direction on the outside, the run inside in the sound is much smoother to the areas out of Redfish pass. No need to trailer to launch in St James City. As you run West or North West watch your chart plotter for contour changes that is where you will find the ledges as you zoom in on your sonar. We have the best luck anchoring on the top of the ledge and the chum going with a tide running over the edge. This would be ideal, it is not always the case. You just have to work with the conditions at hand.
    Larrywitt
    Thanks Larry..
    In the past I have noticed ledges with 2-3' drops in 50' of water which was only about 5-10 miles out of Redfish Pass. I know it's trial and error but is my better chance at getting bigger fish in the slots in deeper water between 60-80 FOW? I guess I answered my own question over the weekend as I did make a couple stops in the shallower ledges and only caught 12-14" RG and snapper/porgies to 12", most being 10's. Not fun to eat those!
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 556 Officer
    Typically deeper is better, especially this time of year.
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Posts: 597 Officer
    Out of Boca Grande and Venice Inlet it seems to get deeper a bit quicker. I fish out of Venice and can hit 70' in about 15 miles.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
    bigfinn35 wrote: »
    Out of Boca Grande and Venice Inlet it seems to get deeper a bit quicker. I fish out of Venice and can hit 70' in about 15 miles.

At 15 miles off Redfish pass only about 50FT.
    larrywitt
    larrywitt wrote: »
    At 15 miles off Redfish pass only about 50FT.
    larrywitt

That's it Larry? I was in 45' about 5 miles off RP over the weekend. Guess I need to trust my single engine 225 Merc to get me a little deeper!
  • whipachawwhipachaw Posts: 505 Officer
    16 miles or so off boca is the school bus reef. Its in 60 to 65 FOW Some hard bottom is near by as well.