Skip to main content
Home Tropics

Parts needed in Bimini

probate-rprobate-r Posts: 419 Deckhand
If anyone is headed over to Bimini before Tuesday and is willing to bring over a few quarts of steering fluid with you, please send me an I'm. Sprung a hydronic steering leak somewhere in the system and will try to diagnose it today.but worst case I can get home on a quart or two of fluid as I got about3 hours of run time out of the spare fluid I had on the boat.

Also if anyone has any idea of who may have merc steering fluid on the island please let me know.

Shawn
Intrepid 370 - "My Favorite"

Replies

• Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,842 Captain
    That stinks Shawn hope you find some.
  • probate-rprobate-r Posts: 419 Deckhand
    In case anyone can learn from my experience....
    It seems that the seal on top of the steering ram in my port motor blew. After some research online and a quick call to my Merc mechanic in the states, it was decided that on a pinch we could use pretty much any type of steering fluid, and that when we get back we will just empty the system and refill with merc synth fluid. It's a patch, not s full solution. Went up to north island yesterday (Sunday) and browns hardware was closed, although they have fluid. However Bimini Bluewater had plenty of fluid that was reasonably priced. Day saved... and we enjoyed our time out on the boat yesterday, just having to stop periodically to refill the steering pump. Seems the atf fluid is thinner so we go through it more.

Here's the important learning part though. Since we have a multi engine setup, there are two hydronic steering rams... one on each of the outside engines, with a tie bar between the three engines. Today now that Browns hardware will be open, I was told by the mechanic to basically disconnect the hydronic lines from the port engine ram (or at the bulkhead fittings) and screw them into a bolt to plug them, stopping the leak and leaving the starboard ram to control the engines. We will be gentle on the steering but it now gives us s closed and non leaking system by bypassing the leaking ram, and utilizing the good one. Hope someday that little tip helps someone in a pinch.
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    Great to hear of the improvisation Shawn, the more time you spend over there the better you get at it
  • probate-rprobate-r Posts: 419 Deckhand
    dpdash wrote: »
    Great to hear of the improvisation Shawn, the more time you spend over there the better you get at it

Doug, sometimes knowing people over there is as important as anything else. As we make more and more friends on that side, its refreshing to see people come together to help each other. Browns had some parts for us (after what it seemed like an hour bike ride in 90 degree heat ... although I am sure it was shorter and not that hot) but it was really a neighbor a few doors down from where we stayed that came through with the o-rings and the final bronze plugs that worked well and allowed us to enjoy the rest of the vacation. He wouldn't take any money for his help and time, so we are going to take him a present next time we go over. Now back to the drawing board to figure out what other odds and ends need to be in the spare parts box. I thought I had a spare of just about every screw, fitting and fuse possible but this one got me!